UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

A Tribute To Hugo

Sue B

Copy%2001%20hugo%20face.jpg

Please everyone raise your glasses to a very special dog, My darling Hugo, who was put to sleep last Wednesday, peacefully at home, after suffering a sudden stroke at the age of 17.

I adopted Hugo on the 12th of January 2005. I knew the minute I spotted him that he was the dog for me. I wanted a nice, calm, good-natured oldie and Hugo was all that and more..

A lovely Refuge member sent me a very comforting message describing him as “a perfect gentleman with a rare quality about him†which summed him up very well.

Hugo got on with everyone, young or old, black or white, they were all his friends. He had a very special charm and he worked his magic on many people, even people who were not keen on dogs took to him and his fan club was huge; the ticket collectors at the train station, people we saw on the way to work, everyone in my local park and, of course, everyone at The Mayhew, adored him and I have had to comfort many people in the last week who were devastated not be able to see him any more.

Hugo was also great with other dogs and had many four-legged friends. He was also very tolerant of all the foster dogs I brought home and all of them adored him, especially Vicky, my life-long foster dog.

Hugo was also a huge asset in my work, promoting The Mayhew, he came to lots of events and talks with me and charmed everyone. He also did some therapy work in a care home for elderly people with dementia and really brightened the day of the residents there.

Of course, he was not always an angel, he could be stubborn as a mule and was incorrigibly greedy, but he made me laugh almost every day.

I will never forget the time he stole a whole loaf of bread from someone’s shopping bag, on the way through Euston station. If he had got wet when it rained he would use the nearest trouser leg to dry his head, which I used to pass of as affection - you would be amazed at how many people fell for that.

His real coup though was the time he cocked his leg over the VIP celebrity guest at the opening ceremony of our new dog rooms. He never normally wee’d over people, so I can only assume he thought it would be a great laugh to show mum up!

He made me very proud though, not least when he was in a photo shoot for New Musical Express, won Best Rescue at the 2005 GAP show and especially when he was in the Scruffts final at Discover Dogs last November and came third in the Golden Oldie class, beating many other dogs from around the country and getting a special mention from Matt Baker for being so nice and trim at his grand old age.

I miss him so much, there is a huge hole in my life and a leaden weight in my stomach. I keep looking round for him and expecting him to come into the room, nose twitching in search of any food. I miss his snoring at night, it is far too quiet without it.

Although the loss of him is very hard to bear, I don’t regret a moment of my time with him – Hugo, it was a huge privilege and joy to share my life with you, thank you so much.

Sleep tight angel.

Copy%2001%20Copy%2001%20hugo.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no Sue. I'm so very sorry to hear this. :mecry: He unfortunately is in very good company at the bridge. I never met Hugo but used to love reading your updates about him. He was a star and a great ambassador for oldies. My heart goes out to you at this awful and painful time. :GroupHug: Run free sweetheart. :wub:

:mecry: I am so sorry Vicky & Sue :GroupHug: but what a lovely tribute to a dog that was in many ways one of a kind :wub: :wub:

I am sure he will be continuing his good work in the summerlands of Rainbow Bridge helping others and watching over them until reunited with you.

Sleep tight Hugo, maybe gone but never forgotten.

Cindy