UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Decent Food For Ozzy.

tracey.s

Ozzy has got a poorly tummy. Again :rolleyes:. I realise a lot of it is typical GSD tummy but, i also think he could have a touch of colitis. There must be a food out there that:

A: i haven't tried

B: Won't bankrupt me

C: will be gentle on his tummy.

We've tried the burgess sensitive when he was younger. He f@rted like a trooper and sh1t for england. Then refused to eat it. This is virtually unheard of with Ozzy. He eats anything. :rolleyes:

Tried Burns. Amazingly it didn't agree with him AT all.

James well beloved was the same as Burns. I won't touch Eukanuba because of their ethics. Not that i could afford to feed him that anyway. I've given him the nature diet meat pouches. Two words. Pebble and dash. :ohmy: Dr. Johns didn't agree with him either :(

He's currently on CSJ champ. This has been the better of all the dog foods we've tried but, he's still not 'right' on it.

Can anyone give me some suggestions of reasonable priced foods which are good for sensitive tummies please?

Edited by tracey.s

Bumpy has quite a sensitive tummy but Dr John's Silver suits him and is about £7.50 for a 15kg bag. My parents GSD used to be very fussy and have a sensitive tummy too but the one food that suited her and she had for most of her life was Vitalin, which looking at their website is about £15 per 15kg bag. I know Vitalin do smaller bags so easier to try and although I've not seen smaller bags of Dr Johns, could be worth contacting them to see if they do samples :flowers:

Edited - sorry, just re-read and saw that you tried Dr Johns :rolleyes:

Thanks for the linky Wendy :flowers: Looking at the vitalin, i'm sure that's what my parents fed Jet our GSD we had when i was growing up. They used to add water to it and it smelt rank but, i certainly don't remember him ever having tummy problems. It says you can feed it dry too. I'll ring the tomorrow :flowers:

I feed all of mine on Vitalin now - I can get a 15kg bag for around £9 from most of the larger pet stores. Harry has a sensitive tummy (especially tonight after eating a bag of sugar :rolleyes: ) & does well on it & Islay is a picker-outer of food but not with Vitalin - anything I mix in to get weight on her is too difficult to pick out so she eats all of it.

Good luck :flowers:

Tracey when CJ's colitis was really bad I changed from Champ to the Lamb and Rice CSJ food after advice (and samples) from Ceri. This sorted him out and after quite a long while I managed to reintroduce the Champ. I found it didnt break the bank costwise partly due to the fact that I kept the others on their normal food and just changed CJ over :)

Chappie is supposed to be good for sensitive bellies. A sack of dried Chappie is about £12 I think.

edited to add: great minds think alike :laugh:

Another great mind here. Highly recommend chappie dried. If we can arrange to meet up sometime soon (really sorry about last time) I can get you Chappie dried for £9 at the wholesale cash and carry. Or they do the smaller bags if you wanted to try first for about £3 :) :)

My Rosie had dodgy skin, dodgy digestion, and a dodgy ticker! - and my vet told me to feed her Chappie, the chicken and rice tinned variety, there is also an original flavour too. I also used to give her the dried version sometimes as well, as I didnt really want to totally wet feed her (teeth and the amount of poo). I bought it in Morrisons, but I think Tescos and Sainsburys do it too.

I always used to think it was a bit cheap and cheerful, but its got a very good reputation - there is never anything remotely suspect in it, and it certainly helped calm down her skin and digestion.

I've heard others with sensitive tums have had success with Wafcol. They have a salmon and potato variety. Only 2nd hand knowledge though.

When Bear's colitis got really bad I fed him on Wafcol and it cleared it up almost immediately. I can't remember which flavour it was though as I got 2 humungous sacks reduced from Batley's (about £8 each) and could then never find the same flavour afterwards :wacko: How very helpful am I?? :blush:

You need to be looking for gluten free food though - that's what I found made all the difference with Bear :flowers: Or you could look into doing home cooking for him.

When Bear's colitis got really bad I fed him on Wafcol and it cleared it up almost immediately. I can't remember which flavour it was though as I got 2 humungous sacks reduced from Batley's (about £8 each) and could then never find the same flavour afterwards :wacko: How very helpful am I?? :blush:

You need to be looking for gluten free food though - that's what I found made all the difference with Bear :flowers: Or you could look into doing home cooking for him.

Not going to bleat on about it....but Cromwell HAD colitis but since feeding raw he's not had one single attack. Plus they all eat their food with relish now, Cooper was starting to be picky but that stopped as well.

I have thought about BARF or cooking my own. It'll cost a bomb though won't it? :unsure: Ozzy eats A LOT of food :laugh:

chappie is very good for sensitive tums. A lot of vets recommend it

Chappie is supposed to be good for sensitive bellies. A sack of dried Chappie is about £12 I think.

edited to add: great minds think alike :laugh:

My Rosie had dodgy skin, dodgy digestion, and a dodgy ticker! - and my vet told me to feed her Chappie, the chicken and rice tinned variety, there is also an original flavour too. I also used to give her the dried version sometimes as well, as I didnt really want to totally wet feed her (teeth and the amount of poo). I bought it in Morrisons, but I think Tescos and Sainsburys do it too.

I always used to think it was a bit cheap and cheerful, but its got a very good reputation - there is never anything remotely suspect in it, and it certainly helped calm down her skin and digestion.

I hadn't thought of dried chappie :flowers: