UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Oh Look Its The Rescue Police....

Pingu

I don't either.

I'm old enough to remember school milk - lukewarm in the summer and frozen solid in the winter.

Mmmmmm.

Lordy - yes - me too! In those little third of pint bottles. Drinking frozen milk through a straw in a freezing hall was SUCH a great experience :laugh:

• 2 months later...
Lordy - yes - me too! In those little third of pint bottles. Drinking frozen milk through a straw in a freezing hall was SUCH a great experience :laugh:

I didnt get a bottle :mecry: I had a lil triangular carton, with a blue sticker on, which you took off and shoved your straw in the then exposed hole then you had to drink it :( ... unless of course you could hide it/dispose of it/bully someone else into drinking it before you were caught!

Guess I was born before glass was invented :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Rescue police or rescues, pleez, please allow my to illustrate just one small example of what can be achieved in an atmosphere of co-operation, if not affliation, between boards and their members.

A while ago the Pet Craft Project's original industrial sewing machine went to the bridge. It was a certain Jaffa Cake loving individual's generosity that largely funded the replacement, enabling the work of the PCP to continue.

How many members here and on how many other boards have pets sporting items made on that machine? However many that is, all have combined to enable over 50 items THIS WEEK ALONE to be sent out to rescue centres throughout the UK and Ireland. Those ranging from collars and ordinary leads to training leads and harnesses.

At the end of this month AT LEAST 140 (yes, that's the latest total :) ) greyhound collars will be despatched to greyhound rescues situated all over the UK and Ireland. Every one of those produced on that very same sewing machine but funded and made possible by members of at least SIX different online dog rescue forums.

By rolling up sleeves, acting and working together much bigger things can be achieved and those positive and constructively towards what we all claim to have in common - concern for animals in the care of rescues. To that end, I now need to police myself (or maybe monitor myself ;) ) back to the sewing machine, 'coz I am falling behind and have only sewn 123 of those greyhound collars to date! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

140, wow! That's great!

But the boards have to want to cooperate and not start off with the intention of destroying others.

I would agree with you A that this is such a site and a pleasure to be here.

As a sanctuary we were priveleged to receive goods made by the old sewing machine and they are all in regular use. Beautiful designs and a high quality ensure that what you do is very worthwhile.

Bojangles sports his lovely animal print coat and is known to growl if any upstarts tug at it when in situ.

But the boards have to want to cooperate and not start off with the intention of destroying others.

IMHO where some online forums fall down is in not having a single, primary purpose that is both clearly stated and adhered to. For example, the forum of a rescue centre's primary purpose would, presumably, be to aid them in their welfare work and responsibly for homing animals in their care. To that end, all activities on their board have something directly or indirectly geared towards that purpose. Even the chat threads that might, at first, appear of little consequence, have a valuable part to play in building friendships and relationship with contacts.

As to what is or isn't acceptable on any board, the simple way to decide is for members to ask themselves whether what they post has a positive and constructive effect towards the primary purpose of the group. Yes, of course there can be grey areas, in which case, perhaps consideration needs to be given as to whether a post's effect might be deemed negative to the primary purpose or even worth the effort of posting. :laugh:

For example, a joke can lift the spirits of readers, even one told at the writer's own expense, such as how my office chair almost landed me on the floor today when I leaned back (the seat screws had fallen out) but I was saved a nasty fall by all the boxes of our PCP's Wildcat team's unsold stock cluttering up the place! :laugh:

However, were I to threaten that team's members that, unless they get a lot of it sold very soon, I will give it all to the opposing, Wolves team, then that, even said in jest, might well be detrimental in its effect on that team's members and therefore the primary purpose of our forum. Were I to post something like that and, meaning every word, then the consequences could be far reaching. From triggering a resentment and risking possible disharmony between the teams through the use of that sort of emotional blackmail and threat, there is no telling where it might end and how many supportive members might be unnecessarily upset in the process. That certainly wouldn't benefit the primary purpose of our forum. On a personal level, it wouldn't benefit me either! The last thing I want is the stress of having lots of hassle to try to deal with. That takes me away from the positive and constructive aspects of what I do, and I am sure that others involved in the running of forums can endorse that.

As Rick says, sometimes the best way to deal with those we don't like is simply to ignore them. And that has to include not renting them out one's headspace! :unsure: Contrary to what they might believe, they are NOT that important.

Remember, today's peacocks are simply tomorrow's feather dusters and fighting peacocks are in grave danger of damaging their plumage. :dry:

Edited by AlTRPD

• 1 year later...

I'm new here. I have become disillusioned by a certain other large forum and its continuous bitching, backbiting and general unpleasantness towards other rescues and individuals. I felt that the personal nature of some of the threads was inappropriate for a public forum. It's balm to come on here where this type of behaviour is not allowed.

If some people put as much energy into rescue work as they do arguing on a forum the world would be a better place. :biggrin:

:flowers: hear hear. Welcome to the site :)

Yeh! welcome aboard :liebe94: - Sometimes it is hard to keep positive - Especially when your brain hurts :axehead:

I try to spend my free time :bigdrve: around dealing with the real issues.

Too much time gets wasted dealing with the personal stuff than needs to :fight:

No time to look backward - Have to concentrate on the future - Whatever that might hold :questionmark:

I'm new here. I have become disillusioned by a certain other large forum and its continuous bitching, backbiting and general unpleasantness towards other rescues and individuals. I felt that the personal nature of some of the threads was inappropriate for a public forum. It's balm to come on here where this type of behaviour is not allowed.

If some people put as much energy into rescue work as they do arguing on a forum the world would be a better place. :biggrin:

Welcome to the refuge but please be aware that we do not wish to engage in a forum debate so plese refrain from posting your personal opinions about other forums on here :flowers: