UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Need To Explode To People Who Understand

KathyM

You'll be kicking yourself if you break an ankle 10 minutes later and have to ask the owner of the badly behaved dogs for help. Dog walkers should try to support one another.

Firstly wanted to say I didn't hurl abuse at anyone - I would agree with you on that (for differing reasons though). As for the above quote - replace "dog walkers" with "fugees" and I would say we all do that, that's why I came here to let off that steam. However, if we're talking about some of the snotty park going dog walkers here, that statement makes me want to wee my pants. When that lad tried to steal Dharma, and my shoulder got dislocated, none of the snotty ones would help me - in fact the big group (that doesn't include the two ladies from yesterday, this group is even worse *lol*) just walked past while I was stood in tears. One lady did help me, and she is wonderful - she used to come regularly with her elderly GSD x and after that Dharma and her would walk together for a while. Haven't seen her for months now, though. :(

Saying all this - everyone knows those types of snotty dogwalkers. I hope I never, ever turn into one of them!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am with you 100% Kathy!!!

As the owner of a VERY dog agressive dog who will quite cheerfully kill any other dog (barring my Logan) who gets close to her loose dogs bouncing up to her, whether freindly or not, are my worst nightmare.

Heidi is always muzzled when out for the safety of other dogs and my peace of mind and we are working hard on her problems but each time we start to see significant progress we seem to be sent striaght back to square one by a loose dog that 'is only being friendly'.

I do not allow my dogs to approach other dogs and 'bounce' all over them but sadly it is increasingly rare for others to offer the same courtesy.

You're right Lisa. What really got to me yesterday was that even after I explained (and not in my usual patronising manner that I show on here LMAO) why it's not polite to let dogs mob an onlead dog, they put it down to him individually too - like they couldn't comprehend how fecking rude they were! They learned absolutely nothing - they didn't go away thinking "Well actually it must be quite frustrating to other owners what we do" - they'll continue in their own little bubble until one of their dogs is attacked, and then who's fault will it be?

So while I'm all for keeping things peaceful, I think it's useless to be! Maybe screaming and swearing is the only way to get it into some people's thick heads. :laugh: :laugh:

This happens to me all the time. If i shout over to ask them to call their dog "its ok, he only wants to play" err well thats lovely but Dylan doesn't, he wants leaving alone.

Generally if the dog is followed by an apologetic owner i don't mind so much - no dog has a prefect recall after all and we do have to be considerate to each other. But, more often than not, they ignore me asking until Dylan has enough of them and starts lunging and making lots of noise. I am then usually told he shouldn't be out in public/ he should be put down, something like that :rolleyes:

Luckily i have a few walks now where i know most of the walkers and dogs so it rarely happens but i am sure it has delayed Dylan's 'recovery' by a long time

People who can't keep their dogs away from on lead dogs are a pain in the bum. I don't care whether the other dog is aggressive or whether it wants to be friendly it just isn't on to let them run up to dogs they don't know.

I usually try to politely ask people to remove their dogs but I get increasingly less polite when they don't, or when the same people/dogs do it day after day.

I have in the past been known to kick out at dogs attacking mine, I'd rather not hurt another dog, but if the choice is a strange dog or my dog then I will defend mine. I have also in the past, although I probably shouldn't admit this, allowed Lasso to have a quick snap across an offending dogs nose. I only ever did this though with dogs that habitually harrassed mine and had owners who really didn't care that their ( usually small ) dogs attacked my on lead dogs almost every day.

None of my dogs, friendly or otherwise, are allowed to approach a dog they don't know.

I have in the past been known to kick out at dogs attacking mine, I'd rather not hurt another dog, but if the choice is a strange dog or my dog then I will defend mine.

I was going to say the same thing, luckily I know 99% of the dogs i encounter and their owners are really nice

however given the choice between any of mine being mobbed or attacked my left foot would

be used repeatedly until said dogs **** off and leave mine alone.

I've been thinking of taking my walking pole out with me on walks, not to hit the dogs but I could hopefully keep them at a distance

My friend carries her for just this reason. One of her dogs isn't good with strange dogs running up to her and when she has all 3 together they all become reactive. Putting the walking pole between them and the off-lead dog or dogs has worked fairly successfully so far.

We are both of us trying to make another friend see why it is important to call your dog back when you enounter someone doing the same or already walking their dog/s on a lead. Up until now her thoughts have been "well if they aren't good with other dogs they shouldn't be taken where other dogs walk" and she thinks it's perfectly alright to let her bouncy BC run up to on lead dogs and dance around them as "she's only being friendly". She isn't in fact, the dog is being very dominant but we cannot get this thro to her owner :(

Marion

My friend carries her for just this reason. One of her dogs isn't good with strange dogs running up to her and when she has all 3 together they all become reactive. Putting the walking pole between them and the off-lead dog or dogs has worked fairly successfully so far.

We are both of us trying to make another friend see why it is important to call your dog back when you enounter someone doing the same or already walking their dog/s on a lead. Up until now her thoughts have been "well if they aren't good with other dogs they shouldn't be taken where other dogs walk" and she thinks it's perfectly alright to let her bouncy BC run up to on lead dogs and dance around them as "she's only being friendly". She isn't in fact, the dog is being very dominant but we cannot get this thro to her owner :(

Marion

I had the same problem with a friend who has two JRT's she thought it was perfectly ok to allow them to run up barking to whichever dog they clapped eyes on, despite me trying to explain how down right rude and dangerous it was, she didn't stop untill she got involved with a rescue and had to walk sometimes dog aggressive dogs herself and realised the error of her ways, perhaps this could work for your friend too.

It just makes me so angry when you have your dogs sitting quietly waiting for the other dog to pass and the owner makes no attempt to control their dog.

same here. I also have a dog who does not like unknown dogs approaching him.

On one occasion I had my dog sitting quietly , watching me, off the path to allow a couple with two loose westies to pass.

One of the westies rushed up behind him barking and snarling. Mine swung round and joined in.

The couple called their dog saying,' come on , your all right, your all right.'

They had not long passed when a man came along with a young springer bitch, who ran straight up to my dog, who was still sky high from the westie episode. He snarled and barked at her and she just wouldn't go away.. The man walked on saying, that's okay, that's what she needs.'

Sorry, but it was not what my dog needed.

I did regularly meet a numptie( named by a old lady who walked in our field) with a king charles that would leg it to my dog from across the other side of the field. One day the dog approached with him sauntering behind. When I asked him to call his dog away he remarked 'it's okay.The little one will eat him.'

I replied 'I don't think so', but he continued to stand and watch his dog harassing mine, while I held mine back against me with my hand in his collar.

Eventually I released my grip on the collar, but still had a firm grip of a shortened lead so it only gave my dog a couple of inches, but it looked like he had broken away from my hold. This did have an effect and he hurriedly called his dog and walked on.

After that, he did call keep his dog away from mine.

You're right Lisa. What really got to me yesterday was that even after I explained (and not in my usual patronising manner that I show on here LMAO) why it's not polite to let dogs mob an onlead dog, they put it down to him individually too - like they couldn't comprehend how fecking rude they were! They learned absolutely nothing - they didn't go away thinking "Well actually it must be quite frustrating to other owners what we do" - they'll continue in their own little bubble until one of their dogs is attacked, and then who's fault will it be?

So while I'm all for keeping things peaceful, I think it's useless to be! Maybe screaming and swearing is the only way to get it into some people's thick heads. :laugh: :laugh:

You never know - it might have got through to them. Our last dog was very agressive - people and dogs - and we did our best to keep him out of stressful situations. It often included having to ask people to put their dog on a lead to go past us in confined spaces (a lane by our house which is traffic free but only 10 feet wide for example) so their dogs didn't rush up to ours.

One of the first times we asked we got a whole mouthful of patronising crap from the owners about the trouble with rescues, how well trained their dogs were (apparently one of them would kill on command, if asked :rolleyes: ) while they struggled to recall their dogs and get them away from ours. I don't even think they were carrying leads, actually, despite heading towards a busy road that they'd have to cross to get to the Heath. Anyway, we eventually got past each other - with me fuming about stupid, ignorant people who have no consideration for others etc.

I didn't see them again for ages but the next time I did see them up the lane they were carrying leads, called their dogs away from another dog on an extending lead and put them on the lead to walk past. Every time I've seen them since they seem to have a lot more awareness of doggy rules. It could be down to our conversation;

it could also be because I reported them to the dog warden for opening their back gate (which opens on to the lane) and letting their dogs crap on the lane without supervision / clearing up after them.

:wink:

Edited by Rileyroo

Hell is other people - that`s why we love our dogs! I get it the other way, having 3 big dogs, other people tend to run away (occasionally picking their little dears up, which is vastly amusing). Actually, 2 of mine would love to play, but rarely get the chance.

I do sympathise with you - have you tried bellowing `My dog`s got ringworm! Best if yours doesn`t get too close!`? :biggrin:

Saying all this - everyone knows those types of snotty dogwalkers.

No, I don't. I must be lucky: although I do meet plenty of people who would allow their dogs to approach an onlead dog, or wouldnt' be able to call it back very effectively, I have only once met someone who would not at least try to call their dog back when asked to do so, and generally dogwalkers I meet are pretty friendly, though I can't say I'm bosom buddies with any of them!

Perhaps I get a different attitude as I don't have bull breeds. I hope not though. :unsure:

Oh Kathy, so sorry for the bad experiance, hope todays walks have been much more positive :GroupHug:

I get its the other way, having 3 big dogs, other people tend to run away (occasionally picking their little dears up, which is vastly amusing).

menage_a_trois, have you ever had a little teeny tiny dog ?

PP what has 3 tiny disabled oldies and regulary has to pick them up avoid accidental incidents with bigger dogs :(

Edited by Purrpuss

Rileyroo - LMAO!

PP - yes walks were better yesterday thank you! :flowers:

cycas - lucky you, maybe we should all move near you! I don't think everyone on here complaining about similar has got a bullbreed though? Although I'm sure that's the reason some are snotty with me, it's ignorance in general letting dogs mob those onlead, isn't it? I don't think it would've been any different had Seth been of a different breed? I'm sorry, I just don't get the reference to bullbreeds in the dogs running up to onlead dogs problem. :wacko: