UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

A New Diet Thread For 2008

Wendbert

• Replies 850
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BMI is a "helpful guide" if you've no idea where to aim for, but at the end of the day it's how you feel that's important.

However I believe that "they" think that men can be nearer the 25 mark, and females have to be further down the scale - more 20-22-ish.

I can't find any seperate parameters for men and women. I did find three different sets of general guidelines (below), though they are almost identical.

From a weight loss site:

What Your BMI Calculation Means

Under 18.5* Underweight

18.5* - 25 Healthy Weight

25 - 30 Overweight

30 - 40 Obese

Over 40 Severely obese

* There are two different ranges for healthy BMI put forward by different, but respected, sources. The British Nutrition Foundation, for example, gives 20-25 as healthy range and less than 20 as underweight. The Food Standards Agency's BMI calculator gives 18.5-25 as healthy and less than 18.5 as underweight.

And from NHS Direct

The BMI weight ranges, as set out by the World Health Organisation (WHO), are outlined below.

If your BMI is less than 18.4, you're underweight for your height.

If your BMI is between 18.5 and 24.9, you're an ideal weight for your height.

If your BMI is between 25 and 29.9, you're over the ideal weight for your height.

If your BMI is between 30 and 39.9, you're obese.

If your BMI is over 40, you're very obese.

It varies for some people, such as certain athletes who may weigh more than average but still be 'healthy'. For example, a big rugby player may be fit and very muscular but the regular BMI calculator doesn't take into consideration the fact that person's 'excess weight' isn't excess at all... it is muscle that they have because of the type of sport that they play... anyway I digress :laugh:

The body fat % ranges are very different for men and women (and also depends on age). The chart here in the Running Made Easy book says that healthy body fat for women is:

Age 20 - 39 21 - 33%

Age 40 - 59 23 - 34%

Age 60 - 79 24 - 36%

And blokes...

9 - 20%

12 - 22%

14 - 25%

The chart that used to be up at the gym used to be different to that. I remember because I was about 18% and that was within the healthy range displayed at the time.

Anyway will stop going on about it now (sorry but I find it dead interesting).

"Women tend to believe they look their best at values between 20 to 22 and men are usually satisfied with a BMI of 23 to 25. If your BMI is between 20 – 24.9, your life expectancy is longer than average. You don't need to lose weight.

If your BMI is between 20 and 25, you are not considered overweight by most people. But if your BMI is 25 or more, that's not good. But you knew that already."

Taken from "Running4Women" (but I'm sure I've read it somewhere else first).

Although I don't think everyone should become fixated with this, I personally find it interesting and helpful to me.

Oh, and I believe that the jury's out as to whether or not 18.5 to 20 is "OK" or a bit underweight. But I'm not going to get into an argument about that.

And certainly in no position at the moment to worry about it.

Sam, advise Aisling that if she doesn't behave I'll have her here on foster for a week - I'm currently writing a list of "things to do" ready ...............

"Women tend to believe they look their best at values between 20 to 22 and men are usually satisfied with a BMI of 23 to 25. If your BMI is between 20 – 24.9, your life expectancy is longer than average. You don't need to lose weight.

If your BMI is between 20 and 25, you are not considered overweight by most people. But if your BMI is 25 or more, that's not good. But you knew that already."

Taken from "Running4Women" (but I'm sure I've read it somewhere else first).

Oh I see. They think they look better that way. Sorry I thought you meant it was actually a recommendation that women should be lower than men.

Kind of.

"A man would normally be expected to have a higher BMI than a woman of the same height, because men tend to have more muscle than women (women naturally have more fat) and muscle weighs more per square inch than fat. For the same reason a slim, muscular woman will have a higher BMI (i.e. weigh more) than a slim, not very muscular woman of the same height."

It gets very subjective.

If there was every a basic "sports nutrition" course run locally, I'd love to do it - I've become very interested in the subject in the last couple of years. :)

Kind of.

"A man would normally be expected to have a higher BMI than a woman of the same height, because men tend to have more muscle than women (women naturally have more fat) and muscle weighs more per square inch than fat. For the same reason a slim, muscular woman will have a higher BMI (i.e. weigh more) than a slim, not very muscular woman of the same height."

It gets very subjective.

If there was every a basic "sports nutrition" course run locally, I'd love to do it - I've become very interested in the subject in the last couple of years. :)

That's another thing that you can get conflicting info about. Some books say that muscle weighs more than fat and others say it weighs about the same. (I wish they would just decide one way or the other)

If the difference in BMI is likely to be of significance I wonder why they don't have seperate guidelines for males and females, like they do with body fat?

Hello. My name is Mrs Bejo and I'm a lardy cow. Well more of a horse really, hence the ticker. This aint no five furlong sprint :laugh: I have no fixed diet set in my mind, I've decided to start by cutting out the crap. No more cayke :mecry: I'm aiming to have lost quite a bit in the next three weeks just to prove my colleague Pete wrong because he says I'll not lose a pound before I see him again. Wrong Mr Perkins! Very wrong! I can live without cayke. I can.................

Hello. My name is Mrs Bejo and I'm a lardy cow. Well more of a horse really, hence the ticker. This aint no five furlong sprint :laugh: I have no fixed diet set in my mind, I've decided to start by cutting out the crap. No more cayke :mecry: I'm aiming to have lost quite a bit in the next three weeks just to prove my colleague Pete wrong because he says I'll not lose a pound before I see him again. Wrong Mr Perkins! Very wrong! I can live without cayke. I can.................

:bighyp: you can live without cayke , you can live without cayke :bighyp: ........

with fugee support :laugh:

Well done everyone who's continued to lose weight :partytime:

Even if it's only a pound a week, that makes 52 pounds in a year :wink:

I have fallen off the wagon somewhat so haven't weighed myself because I know I've put some back on, so today I am back on the wagon again :rolleyes:

ME TOO! I have been without a kitchen for last 3 days (new flooring being done/decorating) so its been norti takeaways and micro meals :(

Well done to those who have lost!

Those who haven't - hopefully this week will be more condusive to eating healthily :)

I've managed 1 1/2 lbs this week but I'm 'claiming' 2lb cos I only claimed 1 last week :rolleyes: :laugh: - but basically I'm happy :biggrin:

Might go and see if I can work out how to do a ticker thing :wacko:

Cheryl you can't possibly need to lose 96lb!!! :wacko: :unsure: