UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Snatch Update

staffymad

Well we went for our monthly check up yesterday especially after the poo projectile competition in the car from last sunday :rolleyes:

Basically we are in a no win situation. The lump on his toe that we removed is 100% back, bigger and sorer than ever, however it doesn't restrict/bother him to much yet. The only real solution is toe removal, however nothing is ever simple with Snatch.

My vet thinks he could get him thorugh a GA with his grade 5 heart murmor, however he fears that a GA were the blood pressure is lowered will be the end of Snatch because of his failing kidneys. He had to do a GA on a dog a while back with similar health issue to Snatch and sadly the dog passed away 2 weeks later with kidney shut down. Additionally to this, the dementia could become worse with a GA. So basically for now, we are leaving alone and review it again in 4 weeks. If the lump doesn't stop to grow we will have to take the risk as the only time Snatch is truly happy is running around off lead with other dogs and if he can't do that anymore due to the growth, then he can't be happy and then we are prepared to take the risk. So really I have no choice what so ever. :(

On the positive side, the Selgian that Snatch is taking for the dementia are working and he is showing signs of improvement. He doesn't stay upstairs all the time now, he ventures down for a hour or so cuddling on the sofa and he has stopped rolling his eyes and shaking like a leaf. I also only caught him a couple of times staring at walls. So that is at least something :)

Please send some positive thoughts for the lump to stop growing as I really really don't want him under a GA. :flowers:

Cindy

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Loads of cuddles and good thoughts for Snatch :GroupHug: :GroupHug:

I'm glad the meds are helping his dementia but sorry you have such a hard decision facing you about his toe. He looked so well and full of beans on Sunday, he was putting a lot of the younger dogs to shame :wub:

Poor Snatch, poor you :GroupHug: I really get what you mean about the dementia seeming to disapear when they are out & about - no idea why it is but my dog was the same. Hope that lump stops growing & you don't have to make that tough decision about a GA - whatever I know you will do what is best for him :GroupHug:

Hmmm, bit of a mixed pot! I'm sure you've discussed it with your vet but would sedation/local anaesthetic have the same risk?

He looked great on Sunday! :wub:

Thanks everyone for your well wishes, they mean a lot :flowers: We have discussed local anastaetic and sedation yesterday, however my vet told me that this wouldn't work as where they are removing the complete toe and cutting through bone, will really require a GA. :(

It is hard to believe he is that ill when you see him running around like that with all the youngsters. :wub: