UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Help Needed In Faringdon, Oxfordshire Area - To Help Catch Stray Dog

ReikiAnge

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just checked Sully's forum and he updated it this evening. The trap is still being set and baited but the dog hasn't been caught yet :(

He's trying to think of other ideas now and is comtemplating trying to find a vet to dart her or using deer nets to corner her on the estate in the evening. I hope I'm not speaking out of turn by relaying this information :unsure: It's on the link he posted earlier in this thread :flowers:

If anyone has any ideas, maybe post them here and hopefully when Sully checks back he'll see them.

I don't think us being there would help anyway, Cheryl. We've already tried that but she wasn't likely to come close enough for us to do anything. I know what you mean though, it's hard being so close but not able to do very much without expertise being called in to help.

Like others, I'll be there in a heartbeat if anyone needs assistance but our presence won't help until the time is right and another plan is in place :flowers:

Its really frustrating,

I will ring Adrian and Lynn who are baiting the trap and see whats happening. last i heard they had caught 2 cats and a fox but not the dog, the dog was seen watching the last cat in the trap. she must still be getting food out of bins, shes not that hungry or hunger would MAKE her go into the trap. I trust Adrian he is experienced at trapping, maybe moving the trap would help.

The problem for me is it is 2.5 hrs away from me, i have asked about a deer net but it is really clutching at straws i will let you know as soon as i hear back , i mean if a load of people go down there theres still only a small chance we would even see her. you have to see the area to understand why its impossible to catch her , its bramble scrubland all overgrown, the dog really does not want to be caught, i just wish i lived nearer.

Im going to ring Ray tomorrow and ask for some more trapping tips

Sully

I've been there Sully, it's easy for a dog to move around and hide from sight. I've only seen her once and that was the first time I went there. Saying that, I'm clearly not that observant because I've been at least two other times since the trap was set and couldn't find it. On one ocassion, I walked for over two hours round the old nurseries but didn't find it at all. Is it out of sight from passers-by?

If you think of anything that might help, a few us on here are really quite close to Faringdon and there are offers on this thread for people to be there when needed.

Please keep up updated as we are with you in spirit and will certainly be there in person if you or Ray think it will help when the next plan is in place :flowers:

Hi, theres no point in people going there looking at the trap, it will just drive her away from it, its best if people just dont go looking for her cos you wont get her like that. Please people dont go near the trap ok, leave the checking and baiting to Adrian and Lynn who live within 60m from the trap.

this is what it looks like ok.

dog4.jpg

I went down there today with the Mango, well it got her a long walk and we met a lot of people and dogs.

I met another woman walking her dogs who daily puts food out for this stray dog, about 30m from the trap. she had no idea anyone else was feeding it. The dog is getting fed from so many places that it doesnt need to risk going into the trap to get something to eat, i know of 4 people now who feed her and they all seem to give her quite a lot of complete.

I managed to get the car into the middle of the nursery, she wasnt seen all day then at about 3pm i sat and waited then i saw the dog in the undergrowth doing 'the rounds' , first to where the dogwalker puts the food down, then over to the trap area, as soon as i moved she was off but i got a long distance pic in low light so its a bit blurred.

The way she moved was healthy and she didnt look too skinny, she looks like either a really dirty fawn or a fawn / brindle , i noticed the fox was about in the same area as her and wasn't bothered by her? in the bushes where she hides there is a lot of fox pooh along with her pooh? could she be living in a burrow or foxhole? look at her underside its brown and she looks all muddy.

i dont think the net plan will work, i think a much bigger trap built into the bramble

dog1.jpg

dog2.jpg

dog3.jpg

You needn't worry, I don't think anyone here is daft enough to forfeit the work to catch this dog. We're all after the same end result. My comment about not seeing the trap was because I saw the pictures of it before and thought it would be obvious to see as it's not well hidden by bramble. It wasn't to suggest I was trying to damage any plans in place. I did nothing more than your average dog walker who uses the area.

If you go back to the beginning of this thread, you'll see the photos I took on the same that Phoebejo and I saw her.

It's good that she's holding her condition.

I am doing my best to find a vet who can use a dart gun and has one to use with the correct knock out stuff and has the time to wait to get this girl and will do it for nothing. It is apparantly alot to ask :( I have rang many Zoos asking for assistance but with no luck. There is alot of "Oh yes we have a vet and /or staff who can do that. . . ." but they cant do it off the grounds or some such. Some say it is to do with insurances. I have put out an appeal for such a vet at Hearing Dogs for Deaf People, someone might know someone who knows someone. I have also approached some vets locally, they looked at me kinda strange. :wacko: :unsure:

Today it was suggested to me that I ring round Deer Parks, so that is what I shall be doing tomorrow.

Anyone here know anyone who knows anyone who might be the vet to help ? Please keep asking, its gonna get colder and colder, poor girl.

Karen