UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Which Side Of The Coin Are You?

meandmy4?

we were talking about why these is no affordable housing wether it be foreigners coming in, people buying council houses or the buy to lets.

It seems people are very keen to jump on things. lets be honest its not the people working at Tescos who are affording 2 houses is it.

Laura G: You say you have buy to lets does that mean you are taking advantage of lack of affordable housing by renting out your houses? As is it people who are unable to get on property ladder that rent your houses or people on benefits. So this is creating a problem in the property buying for the less affluent.

Think another thread on housing crisis would be better suited. As it is obvious people with buy to lets will need foreigners as if resident English cant afford to buy then foreingers on minimum wage wont either.

My father is a manager of a large bank and my Mum a legal secreatary so I would they say are upper middle class so what is your point. Do you not think there is a class system?

My father is a

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've already shown you with my link that there IS affordable housing in Dorset. In fact have some more http://www.sha.co.uk/index.html, just in case you missed the last one. It is a fact of law that all developments of 24 properties and above must have, usually, 33% affordable housing in their schemes.

People with buy to lets will need foreigners? Why? The English housing system always has had buy to lets since time immemorial. Purchasing housing started after the second world war, it is a new phenomenon and wasn't related to affordability at all, but due to the fact that people just didn't buy housing at all, it wasn't the done thing. It is NOT people on benefits or those unable to get on the housing ladder who rent housing - there are millions who choose to rent for the flexibility of it, for locational or employment reasons.

No I don't believe there is a class system. Not in my eyes. I am no different from you.

Your arguments, I'm afraid, simply hold no fact.

how about the people who cant afford a deposit or have ccj's from previous bad debts who plain and simply cannot get a mortgage. The waiting list for council properties can mean a long wait. So where exactly is the big deal with renting privately? This thread seems to have changed from you feeling aggreived about polish people working in Tesco to begrudging people their choice in where to invest their savings and income? im confused.

From industry statistics:

Overview of private rented sector policy

Private rented housing is a vital and growing part of the housing market (almost 12 per cent of all households, 11 per cent of housing stock). It was once the tenure of choice for all but, before the effects of deregulation were felt, the sector made up only 9 per cent of households in 1988.

The sector has been changing: 'Buy to Let' has brought better quality property into the sector - but also many more smaller investors. The private rented sector (PRS):

offers a flexible form of tenure and widens choice and meets a wide range of housing needs, including those in receipt of Housing Benefit

contributes to greater labour market mobility

is increasingly the tenure of choice for the young (48 per cent of 'heads of household' (HRPs) in the PRS are under 35, compared to 20 per cent in social renting and 13 per cent in owner occupation)

has responded to the growth in student numbers (although this may have led to the 'studentification' of some areas).

and statistics you can download which show that 70% of housing is privately owned and just 12% privately rented - 10% local authority rented and 9% social landlords (ie housing association). I would say therefore that there's a shortage of rented property, not a shortage of houses to buy (notwithstanding population density v demand which is a whole new topic of it's own). http://www.communities.gov.uk/documents/housing/pdf/324670

adminwarning1a.jpg

haha!! duly noted!!!

However to be polite and answer the op's words directed at me:-

I said that I had HAD buy to lets. Past tense. I've not any more. In fact having sold everything, I am totally away from the much hyped "property ladder" and loving every single minute. The freedom that comes front renting is fab.

And although I suppose you could say that i took advantage of affordable housing by renting my properties out, I did so via the council. Right to buyers take up their option, then the council are short:- so they look to owners like me to contract their properties. So yes: they were people on benefits and people in need of low cost housing.

Experience has taught me that there are far more important things in life than prioritising bricks and blummin mortar. Why are we so fixated on owning our own homes? And other people's? Don't get me wrong: I know it works for othere people and I have no problem with that. It's just that it didn't suit us and it's fascinating to come out the other side and see the alternatives.

As to the class system: well, even if one wants to acknowledge the existence of such, it's been a long long time since income or asset ownership has been indication of a higher class individual! Richest guy I know is a plumber!

To get back to the gerenal topic area: you can lose a lifetime in worrying about other people. About stuff you can not/should not change: that may or may not be unfair.

In which case is it best to just get your head down and get on with your own business?