UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Which Side Of The Coin Are You?

meandmy4?

I have been applying for some jobs recently and it seems most of them have gone to the Polish. I am torn as I need a job for us as a family to have nice thing and holidays ect ect so it annoys me a bit but then I understand that they want a better life for there family.

What do you think?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this probably belongs in contro :laugh:

I think the Polish ( or any other legal immigrants ) deserve the jobs if they can get them.

On the whole an employer gives jobs to people who are either better or cheaper than other candidates.

Not a dig at you :) just a fact of life

I know thats what so frustrating. I NEED a job for xmas ect ect but it is frustrating that all jobs are gone. If I was Polish I would want a better life for my kids but seems there are other jobseekers having this problem that jobs have gone to the Polish. I understand that they want a better life but so do I for me and my children.

I have been applying for some jobs recently and it seems most of them have gone to the Polish. I am torn as I need a job for us as a family to have nice thing and holidays ect ect so it annoys me a bit but then I understand that they want a better life for there family.

What do you think?

I think Polish people and anyone else living - and wishing to work - in the UK want the chance for their families to have a roof over their heads and nice things too. I can understand you being upset you didn't get a job you particularly wanted - I'm sure we've all been there at some point - but I don't see why it would matter to you who else got the job, just that you didn't get it.

I know thats what so frustrating. I NEED a job for xmas ect ect but it is frustrating that all jobs are gone. If I was Polish I would want a better life for my kids but seems there are other jobseekers having this problem that jobs have gone to the Polish. I understand that they want a better life but so do I for me and my children.

What about all the other jobs that have been taken by people who aren't Polish though? Don't you resent them too? :rolleyes:

Its a case of selling yourself at the interview and applying to the right places I reckon!

Like it or not we have chosen to share our Island with a lot of places including Poland. So employers have a lot more choice of whom to recruit.

Good luck job hunting though :flowers:

I dont resent the Polish as a Mum I understand they want a better life for there kids. What gripes me is people with qualifications are missing jobs as employers are getting away with paying the Polish cheaper wages. If the employers HAD to pay the people with the qualifications the same wage then would be an even playing field.

I dont resent the Polish as a Mum I understand they want a better life for there kids. What gripes me is people with qualifications are missing jobs as employers are getting away with paying the Polish cheaper wages. If the employers HAD to pay the people with the qualifications the same wage then would be an even playing field.

So your issue is with the employer(s) then, surely, not the Polish people you claim to be taking all these jobs you've been applying for.

Employers "get away" with paying cheaper wages on various occasions - women still get paid less than men, for the same jobs, in the same companies, for example.

I remember one company I worked for employed a new sales person - a woman. I got told a while down the line that they had employed her rather than one of the guys who applied, because she didn't demand a company car and was prepared to take a lower salary.

A few years ago now, I got offered a job once but they wanted to start me on the lower salary level and I couldn't afford to take it at the time, so didn't. I'm sure they employed someone else who took the lower salary - that's life, isn't it.

Presumably these jobs have a 'going rate'. The Polish are prepared to work for less than this rate. I assume if English people were also prepared to work for less then they might also be able to get jobs.

I remember one company I worked for employed a new sales person - a woman. I got told a while down the line that they had employed her rather than one of the guys who applied, because she didn't demand a company car and was prepared to take a lower salary.

I tend to think that if you particularly want a certain job then you drop things like demands for a company car etc., when you've got the job and proved how good you are and how indispensible, you then ask for what you want. Sometimes you have to look at long term gains as well as short term rewards.

I think that the best person at the job should get it, regardless of nationality, though I can certainly understand the frustration of finding that every job you apply to goes to someone else.

I confess that when I am employing freelancers, I tend to recruit people who live locally and have decent English (though I don't ask where they were born!). Which is odd really, because my own clients are based all over the place.

I am working with a US-based freelancer at the moment because I couldn't find his skillset in the UK. It is rather nice that I can employ someone who is very skilled with a relatively high hourly rate and it still comes out less than the local guys because of the exchange rate. I've been tempted to export all my work that way, it would drive my costs right down and I'd be making a lot more money (or, could quote lower for the same jobs).

But then, my designer has a large mortgage and 2 chocolate labradors to support, and my programmer has a little boy, a mortgage, and has been ill recently. They need the work too, and nobody is going to employ them (or me) from another country as it would cost too much...

Edited by cycas

but ! the British people cannot afford to earn less , the economy takes everything it can from us ...... I could never take a wage drop , I only have enough to barely eat and feed the animals after tax

:wacko:

rent , CT, water, heat, .................................... and then the small business large blazer people get fatter whilst we (and now polish people) help their small business grow

........................ hmmm I just thought of an excellent contro thread :dry:

but ! the British people cannot afford to earn less , the economy takes everything it can from us ...... I could never take a wage drop , I only have enough to barely eat and feed the animals after tax

:wacko:

rent , CT, water, heat, .................................... and then the small business large blazer people get fatter whilst we (and now polish people) help their small business grow

........................ hmmm I just thought of an excellent contro thread :dry:

I think it's possible to argue that if the Polish ( or any other nationality ) can afford to live here and earn less then so can the British.

I think our expectations are rather higher than theirs when it comes to our standard of living.

Small business people ( and large ones :) ) also have to make a living.

We may be looking to employ someone part time to work with us next Summer. It will be someone prepared to work for minimum wage, we would not be able to afford to employ someone for more than that.

I tend to think that if you particularly want a certain job then you drop things like demands for a company car etc., when you've got the job and proved how good you are and how indispensible, you then ask for what you want. Sometimes you have to look at long term gains as well as short term rewards.

Knowing I'd be more than capable, I've put my money where my mouth is on occasion and offered to work for nothing for 2 weeks as a trial (with the proviso that if I'm good enough, the employer will retain me and backdate my pay to cover that period). It's never failed.

I haven't a clue how these things work, but surely if you feel that you're being discriminated against for reasons of your ethnicity, you could talk to the racial equality people? :unsure: I hasten to add that I could be being a bit naive.

I think it's possible to argue that if the Polish ( or any other nationality ) can afford to live here and earn less then so can the British.

I think our expectations are rather higher than theirs when it comes to our standard of living.

Small business people ( and large ones :) ) also have to make a living.

We may be looking to employ someone part time to work with us next Summer. It will be someone prepared to work for minimum wage, we would not be able to afford to employ someone for more than that.

Hmmm I dont actually think its possible to argue that !

When the polish people come here they have families and nowhere to live, they are first in line for council housing ... £40 to £60 per week.

I am way down on the council housing list .... no kids ..... no benefits I would never ever get a subsidised home.

Have no man no family to share rent with..... £400 per month private renting .... the developers are capitalising because of lack of affordable housing.

I earn enough to pay bills .....animal food and pressures(council tax) for the bins to be emptied ... I run a £300 car (valu in total) to get my dogs out of the urban.

So no , I have to disagree .... Its not easy to live in England as a born British when you work ! :biggrin:

My hubby is an electrician so with all the new legislations he is ok with his job as he had to sit tests after tests for all kinds of stuff. BUT he works on a large building site from time to time and his boss on that job is a pig. He is employing all the young Polish men and he rents them one of his buy to lets which is a 3 bed house. He demands £1000 rent which seems alot but there is 14 Polish guys living in that house. I have met a few and they are lovely guys but they send most of the money home to their familys in Poland. So they dont have the same out goings as they rest of us. And what about all the young English guys who were the labourers but have been laid of as cant take the pay cut as they have bills and some young children to support.

What about them?