UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Which Side Of The Coin Are You?

meandmy4?

Whats going to happen to our ecoonomy if foreingers are taking the jobs but sending all the money home and not putting in into the UK economy though?

How are they not contributing to the economy?

I live in Dorset and we are in process our buying our 2 bed semi council house £180,000 thats with discount of £30,000. Young people round here cannot get on the property ladder as house prices are so steep.

How is this at all relevant to migrant workers supposedly annexing your work? There are lots of reasons why the housing market is so inflated. Supply and demand being one, and then of course there's the fact that so many people have bought more than one property. And of course there's the fact that people have the right to buy their council houses...with the resulting ££££ not reinvested in housing stock and so on.... You yourself are taking advantage of your RTB which is fine but to say in the next breath how dreadful it is that young people cannot afford to buy seems a bit strange.

as a mother the employers dont have to give us jobs.

don't understand this bit. it reads like you're not just against migrant workers, but against anyone without family committments. Infact against anyone who got 'your job'. But that can't be right.

On a more positive note: what are your colege qualifications? what kind of job are you looking for? Perhaps rather than blame the faceless and unknown, you can get some tips on how to nail that interview?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if your here to work

pay your taxes

dont break the law

come on in....

i have in the last year employed some poles, a lithuanian, one spaniard,1 irish, 2 scots, 1 dutch a serbian, 1 moroccan and a smattering of africans.

they all do the above-and are working with the mentally ill-not always the most popular of jobs.

i dont think they are responsible for high price of housing in the SE-and several do send money home to assist their families-Good on them-if it helps to reduce poverty and hardship in their original country-share the wealth.

interestingly all (especially from EEc countries) i am employing highly skilled workers-which is a absolute luxury-and a real benefit to the patients

Fee

And with 2 children I am limited by the hours I work

I think that anyone who takes a conscious decision to have children must accept that it will change their working lives or employment options to some extent. By this I mean that they will either continue in their careers and accept that they may have to spend a good proportion of their income on childcare or, as would appear to be the situation in your case, that they look for employment that can be fitted in around school hours.

I would now only work very locally where I could return to see my dogs for an hour at lunchtime. If I travelled to a city 20 miles away I could earn several thousand pounds a year more for doing virtually the same job but in choosing to have my dogs I also chose to limit my employment options.

Whats going to happen to our ecoonomy if foreingers are taking the jobs but sending all the money home and not putting in into the UK economy though?

If he chose to do so, my husband would fairly easily be able to secure a contract working in the Middle East which would pay a considerable, tax free salary. Any money that he earnt doing this would then be brought back to the UK so he would not be contributing a huge amount to the economy over there. Is that therefore somehow wrong?

My son is a manager with local company and they have had such difficulty in getting staff even thought the wages are fair and local plenty of people out of work but so many turn up at the interview and say its a boring job and they want some thing better. my daughter and daughter in law worked there too .Most simply do nothing but hang round the streets Know this as know the people concerned and feel quite angry about the situation.

Quite a few polish families moved in and all the jobs were taken my son says they are very good workers and althought he feels that jobs should first go to local people few of them wanted to work.

Will say all the polish families are very respectable and decent people who love their country and cannot understand why we are so workshy

I find it so frustrating that every time their is a discussion like this, the racism card is automatically branded about, If you know me you would understand how ridiculous it is my best friends son is mixed race, my uncle has married a lady from India ect ect. And we are just about to start the adoption process and have not stated any race or religion or anything as to us it doesnt matter so I find it hugely offensive someone saying I am racist and take it personally.

I think the resentment that is being created by some of the British workforce against foreigners working is that employers are getting away with paying less wages especially to guys in the building trade, hence stirring up animosity. If foreigners were paid the exact same rate as UK guys then it is fair open playing field.

As my post above says the last thing I would ever be is racist. And I expect there are loads of English bums who could have these jobs but cant be assed then whine about the foreingers having them when they had no intention of applying.

But my argument is it is only ever going to be fair if employers arent allowed to pay foreingers less.

i appreciate you say you are not racist, i am merely pointing out you do come across that way, and as often happens on an internet forum, we dont all know each other so can only go by what we read. Incidentally, as an employer, i have minimum wage guidelines so i dont get the bit where a foreign person would cost me less than a local? maybe just in my line of work, wages dont tend to be much higher than minimum wage anyway.

In the building trade its horrendous and getting worse and worse. One of the local builders own a tile making company they employ a Romainian guy and pay him pennies. They supply him with a really awful 2 berth caravan that is kept at the back of the yard and he lives in there and gets £2.50 an hour. Where as the point I am trying to make is a 25 yr old guy with a kid from our local area cannot afford to earn £2.50 an hour.

In the building trade its horrendous and getting worse and worse. One of the local builders own a tile making company they employ a Romainian guy and pay him pennies. They supply him with a really awful 2 berth caravan that is kept at the back of the yard and he lives in there and gets £2.50 an hour. Where as the point I am trying to make is a 25 yr old guy with a kid from our local area cannot afford to earn £2.50 an hour.

The builder isn't allowed to pay his employees, foreign or not, £2,50 an hour - and how much you want to bet he's charging rent for the caravan too? Minimum wages are there for a reason: to stop people from being exploited for next to nothing.

I really think you're barking up the wrong tree: your gripes obviously are with employers who prefer to either exploit foreign workers or demand a commitment for an amount of hours and working times that you cannot meet. I completely fail to see what foreign workers have got to do with that.

On the other hand, you have qualifications. Would you not feel a bit mean taking on a job at, say, Tesco, stacking shelves, while there might be a young British dad out there, who is desperate to get a job to support his family, but doesn't have qualifications? Just presenting yet another side of a coin ... :)

I really do think that English people can easily solve the problem of immigrants taking 'their' jobs.

English people simply have to be prepared to work for the same wages as immigrants, to work as hard as immigrants and be as flexible as immigrants. If they do that then they will get the jobs. Other than that then English people have to be better qualified and applying for jobs where those qualifications count.

Why on earth should an employer pay more for an English worker when (s)he can get the same or better quality worker cheaper by employing an immigrant.

As I think I said earlier in the thread next year we will be looking for someone part time (probably 2 days a week ) to work with us. I will be looking for someone who is prepared to work as many hours in a day as we need them to, might be 4 hours or it might be 12 hours. They will need to be very flexible and prepared to work more hours at zero notice. Working hours may well include Saturdays and Sundays. Tea breaks and lunch breaks will be minimal and unpaid. The work will be extremely physically hard and fairly boring. As their work will be charged out at £10 per hour I don't intend to pay more than the minimum wage. I already know where I will be getting most applications from and it won't be the local English workers.

I can see why someone would find it frustrating to be unable to find a job that suits them but sometimes we have to tailor our lives round the available work. It is unreasonable to expect employers to tailor their businesses to suit someone who only wants to work certain hours and to be paid well for doing it.

On the slightly off topic subject of housing

I don't see how immigrants can be blamed for the price of houses in this country.

I also don't see how someone who is taking advantage of their RTB can complain about the lack of affordable housing. To a large extent it is RTB that has caused a shortage of affordable housing in all areas of the country.

The builder isn't allowed to pay his employees, foreign or not, £2,50 an hour - and how much you want to bet he's charging rent for the caravan too?

And there's the rub; his wages are ostensibly only £2.50 per hour but he'll be being charged an extortionate amount for living in the caravan - which will be deducted from his wages. The (doubtless) dreadful accommodation included, he's probably earning £20 per hour on paper. An absolute rip-off - poor guy. :( And before anyone says it, this happens to my English friends too. £6 per hour for backbreaking work but the wage totals £many when the caravan or shack the employer provides is taken into account.

I am buying my council house as I cant afford to buy anything else.

He does charge him for the caravan as well.

We all know about equal rights and everyone should be paid the same but its just not happening. The foreign workers are being exploited as it is happening all the time and the resident English cant compete as there living expenses, mortgages, outgoings are so high.