UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Learning To Drive - Need To Boost My Confidence

ReikiAnge

Being a bad passenger is absolutely no excuse for not learning to drive.

I've been driving for years and am still told off for braking etc when I'm a passenger, especially by my kids :biggrin:

BTW Volvos are far easier to drive then minis, for a start everyone gets out of your way :biglaugh:

I certainly notice the difference when I borrow my daughter's little puglet

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read the postings, but I was nervous/worried/didn't want to learn how to drive. Although I didn't do it *late* I didn't start on my *driving birthday*. The first thing I learnt to do was an emergency stop so I knew I could stop the car.

I used to close my eyes as we went up a narrow hill and lorries came hurtling down....I didn't want to see it if they hit us.....

I'd suggest getting a lady instructor the you won't have to worry about a naughty guy....alternatively....punch anyone who does that now!!!

Try sitting in a car and *play* at driving, get used to the gears, the wheels, the mirrors etc when stationery.

Move nearer to me and I'll take you out :flowers:

x x x

Another late learner here, I had driving lessons when I was 17, then decided a holiday appealed much better, so the holiday came and driving lessons went :unsure: 17yrs later, I took driving lessons back up, 2 reasons,

1) having a hormonal teenage son

2) having adopted a rescued border collie

I would say, go for it, even if it takes you a year, (took me 7months, @1 lesson a week)

I passed 18months ago, at the grand age of 34, and only wished I had carried on d.lessons all them years ago, you will gradually gain confidence, Good Luck, just think, this time next year, you could be a qualified driver :biggrin:

Late learner/driver here too,started driving in London when in my late 30s,passed my test 3rd time :rolleyes: then never drove again.When I moved down to Somerset I realised I wasn't going to be able to get to all the amazingly beautiful areas as public transport on Exmoor and Quantocks is abysmal :angry: So I had more lessons and bought a car for the first time when I was 50.I love it,I drive all over the place now although I don't like driving in large cities but love the motorway.I do loads of homechecks and will drive within a 2 hour radius to do one,I've found some super places to walk the Ds that I wouldn't have without a car.Go for it,it's really made a difference to my leisure time.I don't need it for work - I cycle daily but love the freedom at the weekends and being able to go to Dog Shows as well.

I have helped several of my friends and family to drive in my automatic car and they all said that they found it easier because it gave them less to do. They could then concentrate on all the things like steering,speed etc without the hassle of gears. Once they got more confident they then learned in a manual car,They all passed first time. x

I took lessons when I was 30 and passed third time, I used to cack my pants when I first went out on my own, I was a gibbering wreck, but slowly and surely I got my confidence, just doing wee journey's at first, I used to wish for the day I could just jump in the car without thinking about it, rather than planning a military manouver :wacko: tbh it dosn't take long to get the hang of it, for me driving the car was easy it was coping with the roads, but I just stuck to the quiet routes and avoided rush hours. Don't worry about motorways, they are a doddle, at least everyones going the same way, I'd much rather drive on a motorway than in a city.

Go for it, you'll never know unless you try :flowers:

When I learnt to drive some 20 odd years ago I had a special trick up my sleeve. I thought of the person I least liked at the time and who IMHO was a moron. BUT he did have a driving licence. So I kept telling me: if that git can do it then I will a model driver. I passed with flying colours despite being nervy like a racehorse :D.

You CAN do it :flowers:

I started to learn to drive 12yrs ago and after failing the practical test 4 times (I passed the theory 1st time with 34/35) I gave up, figured it just wasn't meant to be :rolleyes:

Last year I finally decided I was fed up of walking past the car sat on the drive all day every day (H uses the train for work) having to give up weekend time to do shopping, struggling to get the dogs to the vet, not being able to rush down to school when Kai got injured in a rugby game and they phoned for me to go collected him :( Kai being invited to parties in the surrounding villages and being able to go was dependant on H being about and worst of all feeling trapped in these 4 walls almost 24/7 as H worked away pretty much all the time leaving Mon morning and not coming home til Fri evening coupled with the stark realisation that if anything happened and I needed to rush one of the kids to the doc's or hospital or an animal to the vets I couldn't :mecry:

I booked an assessment lesson at the beginning of Oct with a local independant driving instructor that got my buisness purely because of his name :huh: (Whilst at the Melton Mobray country show last summer we bought Tom a small stuffed greyhound toy from RTG that he called Melton, this small dog is muched loved so when I found a driving instructor called Meltons I figured it was fate :rolleyes: )

At the end of my hours assessment he told me he reckoned it would take approx 12 hours to get me back to test standard and I was to book my theory/hazzard test ASAP and asked if I had the use of a car/qualified driver to practise in :ohmy: H put me on the insurance for his car and took me out driving every weekend to do the shopping etc and just driving round the local area in all weathers day and night, I took 1 lesson a week up to the theory test at the end of Oct which I passed again this time 35/35 (can't remember the hazzard test result) bought THIS and can highly recommend, I still have my copy and can send it you if you like :flowers:

I booked the practical test for the 6th of Dec upped the lessons to 2 a week and passed with 3 minor faults, I to was petrified at the thought of the motorway but drove home from Doncaster (approx 150 miles) after visiting family on the 16th of Dec and was fine, still a bit jittery at the joining bit but living so close to MK and driving there has got me well used to multiple carriageways and overtaking and quite honestly its one of the best decisions I've ever made :cool:

I'll be 35 this Oct :flowers:

Thank you guys, really appreciate the support and experiences :flowers: I'm almost feeling excited about learning now :unsure: :biggrin:

I feel happy to start learning with this young guy, I have met him and had a chat and he seems really nice and I don't have any concerns about him as I did the last one, so will feel relaxed with him. He sounds quite laid back, with a sense of humour, which I feel will be to both our benefits when teaching me :ohmy: :laugh:

Thank you guys, really appreciate the support and experiences :flowers: I'm almost feeling excited about learning now :unsure: :biggrin:

I feel happy to start learning with this young guy, I have met him and had a chat and he seems really nice and I don't have any concerns about him as I did the last one, so will feel relaxed with him. He sounds quite laid back, with a sense of humour, which I feel will be to both our benefits when teaching me :ohmy: :laugh:

Go for it Ange it really is great having the freedom etc :flowers:

The instructor I used is ex forces and was lovely with a fab sense of humour :biggrin:

If you'd like the theory test PC dvd rom just PM me your address and I'll chuck it in the post :flowers:

If you'd like the theory test PC dvd rom just PM me your address and I'll chuck it in the post :flowers:

Thank you - I know Rob did have a DVD when he was learning, so will see if we can locate that - do you know what your one is called? Might well be in touch, thank you :flowers:

i started taking lessons again last novemember after failing 3 times 12 years ago :rolleyes:

im going to book my test next week thats if i can not be nervous when the examiner gets in :laughingsmiley:

id say go for it! i just wish id carried on before

Thanks - and good luck!

About 17 years since I passed but it took me 2 instructors, 4 attempts - the first 3 all failing on different & silly little things - must have cost me a small fortune but I got there and you will too if you want it enough.

Once you do you'll never regreat it & pretty soon wonder how you ever managed without it - picture it & it will help you get there :bigdrive3:

I've got a copy of a GSP learn to drive pc cdrom with theory tests, driving simulations etc somewhere (a couple of years old or so but was supposed to be the best on the market at that point) if it's any help :bigdrve:

Good luck