UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Learning To Drive - Need To Boost My Confidence

ReikiAnge

wanted to add this, but too late to edit:

Sometimes all it takes is the right instructor, I tried to learn to swim for years, but never got the hang of it. I joined a class for adults when I was 39, and 3 weeks later I swam four strokes, 4 weeks later I swam a length! No one could believe it, least of all me :biggrin:

Well done :flowers:

I can't swim properly either (don't tell Victoria) :blush: I'll work on that afterwards :biggrin:

I have my first lesson after work on Wednesday

Good luck with yours Hayley, let us know how it goes? :flowers:

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread was started at around the same time as a "driving confessions" one. After looking back on the smallest sample of my huge catalogue of misdemeanours there, I was too embarrassed to post here. :blush02:

I've been wondering how you were getting on Ange but didn't like to ask in case it might make you feel pressured. I'm delighted that you've grasped the nettle and taken those first steps. Passing your test is one of the best things you'll ever do, I promise.

Thanks to a combination of creeping old age and fragile vehicles, I have improved over the years so you can take to the highway in relative safety now! :laugh:

I had my first lesson on Wednesday and it was really good :)

I did left turns and right turns on a fairly quiet housing estate.

I then did a turn in the road

Next week I am going to be driving on busier roads incorporating roundabouts.

One slight problem I had was at the end of the lesson - my right knee was killing me - I must be using muscles that I haven't before :huh:

I had my lesson after work and only then did it dawn on me that most of my lessons wil be in the dark which worried me a bit but I seemed to adjust okay.

I think you should try and incorperate lessons in day and night, i only ever did day lessons and you wouldnt belive the amount of times i got in the car at night started driving with no lights on :laugh: because i had never had to turn lights on. And my other biggie was i ALWAYS left the keys in the car ignition because when i got out of the driving instructors car thats what you do, you never have to take them out so it became a learned behavior and the only way i cracked it was my dad had to buy me a huge keyring for my car key so i could see if i got out without it :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Yes i am a blonde

Well done on learning though, it has been less than a year since i passed my test but i have loved every minute of it. I am so glad i persevered

Well done Hayley :flowers:

I had my third lesson this morning and we're on busier roads with more hazards now. I am having two lessons this week coming in the hope things will stay fresher in my mind.

I am avoiding lessons in the dark at the moment as I have this weird thing with my eyes, where they take longer to adjust to the dark than "normal" people's (I've been told by an optician not to worry about it as it's been there as long as I can remember). Hopefully as I become a bit more confident at driving when it's light, I will have a few lessons in the dark further on.

I still get wibbly before each lesson (although that's decreasing) and then a bit cross with myself when I forget something/mess it up, but hey it's just been a few lessons.

Sounds like you are progressing well Ange :flowers:

Had my second lesson last night - got picked up from work as usual and instructor got out of the car - yes I was going to be driving out of the car park (on the first lesson he drove me to the start of the lesson).

He took me on a very varied route that included roundabouts, narrow high streets and a long, windy country lane where I got stick behind a bicycle :rolleyes:

We finished in a car park and did a reverse bay park.

It was really good again although I need to remember not to stare at things in the car, i.e. the clock because when I do I go a bit off course.

My biggest incentive now is that we bought a brand new car on Saturday that we are collecting next Friday - it will be my car once I have passed :)

Edited by Hayley

• 2 weeks later...

How have you been getting on Ange?

I did my third lesson on Thursday night - loads of roundabouts - big ones and mini ones

I need to be careful not to speed on the 30mph roads which I seem to do without realising it and to speed up a bit on the 60mph roads which I find hard as it feels like I am going far too fast - I haven't made it past 50mph yet :laugh:

Collected the car yesterday and had a little drive round the village today :)

• 1 month later...

Gosh you are all going so well :)

I am not :( I have had about 2 lessons a week since I started (in Feb I think) and stiiil have problems with roundabouts and junctions :( dual carriageways still terrify me :wacko:

but I WONT give up.................I so want to take the dogs to a beach

Oops sorry Hayley, I wasn't ignoring you intentionally :blush:

I was doing ok but haven't had lessons for a few weeks due to Christmas, having the lurgy etc - I generally only have a lesson on a Sat morning.

I got up to around 60mph on one of my last lessons, weirdly I don't seem to mind going at that speed at times - it's more the roundabouts and bends in particular that terrify me. I really don't like bends!

Am hopefully going to get my backhind back into gear this week.

Sounds as though you are doing really well Hayley :biggrin: :flowers:

:GroupHug: Kathy - sending you lots of confidence vibes (though I may keep a few back for myself too!) :flowers: