UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Oldies Club Statement

staffymad

Dear All,

As some may be aware following a recent transport run, the Oldies Club received a call to say the dog being transported had bitten a volunteer. At this stage we have not heard directly from the person concerned and are investigating the circumstances to obtain the full facts.

Obviously this is a very distressing situation for all concerned. We take the safety of our volunteers very seriously and will act accordingly on our findings.

Of course we sincerely hope that this is not going to put off anyone from transporting for us or any other rescue in future, but if anyone has any specific questions or concerns then you are very welcome to contact me on [email protected]

Cindy Nietz

Chair and Fostering Coordinator Oldies Club

Helping Older Dogs find forever Homes

www.oldies.org.uk

Email: [email protected]

just wanted to say that I do homechecks, fostering and transport runs for a specific rescue and I have been bitten a couple of times in the past, no big deal, just had a couple of stressed dogs in the car, my fault for trying to calm them.

Am sure that it won't put fugees off helping out where they can, especially for the oldies :wub:

That's such a shame and i hope the person involved is fine :flowers:

I know i don't have transport but if i ever get back behind the wheel again it would certainly not put me off volunteering, i think most dog lovers know that under a stressful situation these things can happen, thankfully it is not too often.

Considering the number of transporters involved in transport runs, it's not unexpected that something like this has happened. The stress of being uprooted from a long term home will cause the odd dog to act out of character. I must admit I always travel with gauntlets in the car, just to give a little protection but have never felt the need to wear them yet. I understand that I am transporting dogs at my own risk.

I must go around with cotton wool in my ears, cos I had heard nothing. Hope that the volunteer is ok. I would be more than happy to help in the future, when there is something my way.

The one thing that does surprise me, is the fact it doesn't happen more often. Just goes to show what resilient little souls the dogs are.

As Area Co-ordinator for a rescue I should be all knowing etc etc :rolleyes: but I have been bitten by an 14 year old dog that wouldn't harm a fly :wub: He was stressed, he was going from his lifelong home to pastures new, he didn't know what was happening it was my fault I was too familiar with him. It can happen in stressful situations and as transporters, helpers whatever its something you have to bear in mind, if in doubt muzzle and best of all cage for transporting.

Just wanted to say I'm sorry this has happened but I fully expect when doing transports , dog assessments etc that this could happen so take responsibility if it does, so far, luckily for me it hasn't.

I hoe the transporter is OK and holds no grudges against The OC, hugs all round.