UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Surely The Water Company Is In Breach Of The Animal Welfare Act?

suzeanna

In the large article in the Daily Mail today about the floods, there is a small piece saying that kennels in Gloucestershire, which are full of dogs either abandoned or brought in, are being refused supplies of water for them. A Severn Trent spokesperson said they are finding it difficult enought getting water for humans, animals are not their concern.

Considering that the new Animal Welfare Act says animals must have access to food and water at all times, surely this is illegal? One kennel owner in Birdlip says they are condemning the dogs to death :angry:

This has just been on GMTV too...totally unbelieveble :angry:

They say theyre relying on the generosity of people donating bottled water. I know that people need water but ffs surely the water board has a duty to source more supplies to make sure every person and every animal has their basic requirements met :(

This has just been on GMTV too...totally unbelieveble :angry:

They say theyre relying on the generosity of people donating bottled water. I know that people need water but ffs surely the water board has a duty to source more supplies to make sure every person and every animal has their basic requirements met :(

I have just seen it and it quite shocked me :angry:

If there is any kennels in serious need of water, I for one am willing to take water into the area for them.

Animals need water just as humans need it, if the water company won't help, I'm damned sure some of us could.!

It says on the Severn Trent site:

If you need water for animals and livestock please contact the R.S.P.C.A on 0870 555999 who have representatives in all areas who can help.

Does anyone know which kennels are without water? I hope they know/have been told to try the RSPCA? :unsure:

The news said last night that the RSPCA has deployed a third (I think) of its field workers to the worst areas of flooding.

FFS :angry: We have enough water elsewhere and it shouldn't be beyond the powers-that-be to get enough drinking water into the areas affected. They could send a bowser round to kennels/farms/other animal facilities and let them fill up from that. If we managed to do it thro WW2 and keep the country going it shouldn't be beyond us now in the 21st century :unsure:

Marion

I don't know quite what I think of this. My initial reaction was horrified, of course.

But then I thought, well what are the cows and sheep drinking? I'm thinking mostly rainwater, from troughs and ponds. If we were stuck for water here, then the animals certainly wouldn't be going short: I could stick out trugs and butts to catch the rain, and there are plenty of ponds and streams. I could even carry water up from the river, if I had to.

If it's genuinely a choice between people going thirsty (and potentially drinking floodwater) and animals drinking it, aren't the animals are much better adapted to cope with slightly dirty water than the people?

Am I completely wrong here?

the model licence conditions, says

14.0 Food and Water Supplies

14.1 All dogs must be adequately supplied with suitable food. Pet proof containers must

be provided for the storage of food. Wholesome water must be available at all

times and changed daily.

this is a document that is our bible and environmental health inspectors are the ones who have to uphold it. Id be on the phone to them to try and get them to back the fight to have the water supplies re-instated.

It's not just flood water though, there could be a lot of raw sewage in it as well.

Terri

Raw sewage is a lot more dangerous to people than to dogs, because it's human sewage, and carries mostly human bugs. Many dogs cheerfully eat poo, and most of them don't suffer anything much as a result, though obviously we'd rather they didn't!

And if you catch rainwater, there's no sewage in that. Most streams and ponds in unflooded areas will not be contaminated - I'm assuming that the kennels are in areas that don't actually have the floodwaters lapping at the doors, or they'd be evacuating..?

If it were my kennels I'm quite sure I'd be fighting for them to put the water back on too, but I can kind of see why the emergency services would be more concerned to get water to homes first. I imagine that the nightmare scenario for the water authorities is perhaps an outbreak of some sort of water-borne disease like cholera. I don't think dogs get cholera, or not as badly, anyway.

I don't know if things are actually that bad, or if drinking fizzy pop or whatever is a viable option. It was just a thought.

Just spoken to Cheltenham Animal Shelter, following the appeal they made this morning they are now doing ok for water for the time being but are struggling for bedding as they obviously can't do any washing :( going to have a search and see what I can find, will also go to pound savers etc and see what I can buy to give to CAS and the local RSPCA, tis a bit mad here!

p.s. its raining again now! :laugh:

If anyone wants to move items from up north, I am travelling friday early afternoon along the M1 jct 30 to the M42 and then onto the M5 and could take items and maybe meet someone at Strensham services who is more local to the rescues and who could take the stuff to them.

Cindy

In the large article in the Daily Mail today about the floods, there is a small piece saying that kennels in Gloucestershire, which are full of dogs either abandoned or brought in, are being refused supplies of water for them. A Severn Trent spokesperson said they are finding it difficult enought getting water for humans, animals are not their concern.

Considering that the new Animal Welfare Act says animals must have access to food and water at all times, surely this is illegal? One kennel owner in Birdlip says they are condemning the dogs to death :angry:

So they're willing to take their money in water rates, but not willing to provide the service that has been paid for. :angry: :wacko:

Might bite into the profits they pay their shareholders I suppose. :grrr:

They should be ashamed of themselves. But somehow I very much doubt it.