UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Drowning Of Puppies 'not Cruel', Court Rules

flukespad

A dog owner who drowned a litter of puppies has been cleared of animal cruelty because experts were unable to prove that they suffered more than if they had been put down by a vet.

John Wooligan, 47, of Whitehaven, Cumbria, decided to kill the seven 10-day-old Staffordshire Bull terriers because their yapping "got on his nerves".

advertisement

He dropped the puppies into a water-filled plastic box, then placed a second box on top to prevent them escaping.

Wooligan declined to give evidence at Whitehaven Magistrates' Court, but acknowledged the killings in an interview with the RSPCA.

"They were yapping all day long," he said. "They were really getting on my nerves and their mother was rejecting them. I did not know whether I could look after seven puppies.

"I panicked. My head went funny and I just drowned them. I couldn't help myself.

"I thought it was wrong after I did it."

He claimed to have contacted eight animal welfare organisations in search of help. Referring to the RSPCA, he added: "I even rang you lot and nobody could help me. I could not cope with seven puppies".

Keith Thomas, prosecuting, said the act of drowning the puppies had caused them unnecessary suffering.

But David Roberts, defending, claimed there was no evidence that such young puppies could experience pain. His view was supported by Steven Lomax, a vet with 28 years' experience, who told the court: "I have heard no evidence to hear that the drowning of a puppy is inhumane."

Have your say here

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml...0/ndrown120.xml

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:mecry: :mecry: :mecry:

So the fact rescues didn't have any space for his pups because of idiots like him churning them out is a good excuse to drown them when he couldn't cope :angry:

How the bl00dy hell can drowning them not be considered inhumane?!! :angry: If the vet of 28 years experience really did say " "I have heard no evidence to hear that the drowning of a puppy is inhumane." he has no business being a vet as far as I am concerned.

I met a guy once who told me quite casually that when he was breeding boxers he had drowned the white puppies :mecry: :mecry: It had happened a long time before I met him and I was sickened and told him exactly what I thought and he just couldn't seem to grasp why I was so angry and upset with him! He kept trying to talk to me about it in the pub we were in and I had to keep telling him where to go. I was just disgusted.

Sleep tight little ones. None of these b*st*rds can hurt you now.

I may have got a bit carried away and posted two comments ... hope the DT puts them on :unsure:

Run free little babies :wub: :wub: I am so sorry that your time here was so short and so terrifying, you are in a better place now, safe and well :GroupHug: :GroupHug:

I think I'm going to contact the RCVS about the vet, maybe others could do the same.

"His view was supported by Steven Lomax, a vet with 28 years' experience, who told the court: "I have heard no evidence to hear that the drowning of a puppy is inhumane."

Assuming he's been correctly quoted, I wouldn't want any of my dogs going near this man and I can't help feeling his opinion has swayed the judge to clear the guy of animal cruelty.

I'm concerned, if this is deemed acceptable under the new animal welfare bill.

I have just posted too. The owner is a stupid pathetic excuse for a man and the vet should hang his head in shame, he's a disgrace. What's the vet professional body? I'm going to complain to them :angry:

RCVS I think they need a lot of complaints. Vets are meant to help animals.

Why, if the pups at ten days old could feel no pain was it ever illegal to dock pups tails without an anesthetic after four days old ? I think that vet needs a refresher course. and surely the RSPCA must have had evidence to the contrary,

I googled the vets name and put the word vet after it, if it's the same one that came up he is an expert witness.

Terri

Paid lackey more like

:mecry: This is not what is needed right now :mecry:

One of my comments was about how great staffies are and the link to Deed not Breed hun, hopefully it will just get more people's eyes open :GroupHug: :GroupHug:

RCVS were lovely, very concerned about this guy's supposed expert statement but can't actually do anything unless they receive a complaint about him, which I guess needs to come from any of his clients?? May be worth trying to find his practice and from that his local newspaper and seeing if they have the story running and if not if they will follow it up ... I'm on it ....

The RCVS also said that the BVA will probably be commenting about this story so may be worth someone getting in contact with them and seeing what they are going to say?? :unsure:

Local newspaper

He claimed to have contacted eight animal welfare organisations in search of help. Referring to the RSPCA, he added: "I even rang you lot and nobody could help me. I could not cope with seven puppies".

This really bloody annoys me. He didnt think of that before he bred his dog did he? Wtf did he expect them to do, sit quietly in the corner ?

It hard enough taking calls and saying no room do we now have to hear people threatening to drown their dogs too because someone said it was ok? :mecry: