UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Need Your Help

Brunzara

Ok, we have a problem :rolleyes:

We have 2 dogs Campbell and Baxter to move to Surrey on Thursday and we have only part of this run covered.

We have 4 dogs Jools, Neville, Zelda and Frodo to move to East Sussex on Friday, no part of the run covered.

We have 3 dogs, Xena, Ruth and Tallulah to move to Bath on Saturday, no part of the run covered.

Today I have been looking into professional "pet transport" and if we are looking at £200 for them do Friday's run with the 4 dogs to East Sussex.

Is it justifiable that we spend £200 on getting these 4 dogs to safety?? £50 a dog, which would pay for 12 days boarding for each dog but would they be offered spaces again (3 are Bull Breed Cross types) and if so would we be able to sort the transport anyway. Do we hang fire and see if transport comes together (we need to let them know by tomorrow morning), but what if it doesn't?? We only have limited space in boarding :( Even if we do have offers of transport for Friday, who can safely move 4 dogs together??

If you had donated to RDR would you feel unhappy at your money being spent this way??

Opinions please :)

Edited by Brunzara

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you had donated to RDR would you feel unhappy at you money being spent this way??

No I wouldn't - and if you can't find volunteers to do the run and do need to hire the van to get these dogs to safety, I'll send you £10 towards the cost :flowers:

It IS a lot of money but you could end up boarding the dogs and still have problems arranging transport - and like you say, be left without the current rescue spaces because they get filled by other dogs. Hopefully it wouldn't come to that, but if it did, it could cost even more :unsure:

You do such a difficult job. It would be easy if you had limitless funds, and limitless spaces to put the dogs into.

So only you can make this decision - and I guess what I would want you to do is weigh up how many lives you can save with £200 if you spend it differently. Or, to put it bluntly, how many dogs might die if you don't have that money available at some later stage.

But if you decide to do this, then that is fine by me.

And BTW, I promised you a cheque on the mat today, but I know its not there. We'e had a hard few days-but it is not forgotten

Ruth

I think you get them there the best way you can - £50 to save each dog I think is reasonable, albeit I know you don't have a bottomless purse. If you wait and have to board them then it also means that you might not have kennel space to put the next ones. If you found volunteer transporters who perhaps could do the run but not afford the petrol then the money has to be spent anyway. I sometimes wonder if it is a lack of funds that stops transporters coming forward. I know at the moment I cannot really afford to do any transport runs :(

Just my thoughts.......

Marion

Personally , no i would not be unhappy if you used any money i donated to do this as it would still be helping the dogs :flowers:

Such a shame if transport cannot be organized on time though , i really wish i was closer and could help move them for you :(

Fiona xx

Just a suggestion but couldnt you approache a private transporting firm and explain you are a rescue and pretty well known in the "dog world" and that in return for a discounted rate you could offer them invaluable advertising and word of mouth business?

Just a suggestion but couldnt you approache a private transporting firm and explain you are a rescue and pretty well known in the "dog world" and that in return for a discounted rate you could offer them invaluable advertising and word of mouth business?

The company we are using has already offered us a 20% discount and it's the time scale involved to try and sort this out :(

Needs must and all that. If you need to spend money to get dogs from A to B, then that's what you have to do. It's a shame that so much money may need to be shelled out for transport but sadly you do have to do what you think is best.

Sometimes there are people out there that could help with transport runs but can't afford to do it. It's not that they don't want to help or feel that they should have costs refunded, not everyone can afford the petrol. Maybe offer to pay minimum petrol costs?

There are lots of animal boards on the internet, why aren't you posting on them asking for transport help?