UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Good Thoughts For My Cairn Oldie Girl

Dog Rescue Lover

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What age is she?

I know that this might not help, but I was in the exact same position with my Greyhound/German Shephard cross 6 years ago, she looked perfectly healthy & her temp & all was normal, she could run for England & was very active during the day. However, at night time, she started having pain around her stomach & back end, and would whimper quite a bit if we tried to lift her.

To cut a long story short, it turned out to be hip-joint deformation & arthritis, we tried different anti-inflammatories & pain relief for the best part of a year, but in the end up, it wasn't fair on her. We investigated every method of treatment, but were advised that she was suffering very badly.

It broke our hearts to make the final decision, but for her sake, we had to, so we chose a date together as a family, a few weeks down the line, & then made a point of spending quality time with her, taking loads of photos of her and storing as many memories of her in our hearts as possible.

I have still not recovered from her death as she had been my baby. We had found her in a cardboard box out on the snow-covered street on 23/12/1990, our vet reckoned that she was only about 3 - 4 weeks old, she had mothered me when I was pregnant( side-swiping our other 2 dogs if they tried to jump up on my stomach, lay beside me through the morning sickness, always managed to bring a smile to my face, no matter what), had then mothered my 2 kids, rocking their cradles with her nose, helped both of them to learn to walk, put up with all of the pulling etc, and followed wherever they went, even if that meant creating a racket outside Lor's classroom to protest at Lor starting school in P1.

Ask for an x-ray, and hope for the best, we will certainly be thinking of both of you :GroupHug: :GroupHug:

Dee

Hello and many thanks for your healing thoughts. I think its working. :wub:

She was ever so much brighter last night and still seemed so this morning. When I got back from work, she still seemed bright and looked a lot better, if still a little subdued at times. Her tummy has been making gurgling noises tonight, so I am thinking it was probably bad colic (sp?) and its starting to clear up. Shes had another bland tea tonight and she can have some doggie charcoal biscuits later. I cancelled her appointment at the vets, as she did seem bighter and I'm at home with her tomorrow, so if she does seem bad again, she can go straight back to them.

Deanne1407 - shes 13 in July and I too was worried about it being her hips, legs or back. But the vet gave her a good poke and prod in those regions and manipulated her legs around etc, but it didn't bother her at all. It will be at the back of my mnd though because our lurcher died early last year and had problems with her back. Eventually we found out it was a tumour and she developed DIC and went downhill rapidly - not nice :mecry: Sorry to hear about your Greyhound/German Shepherd :(

I thought she was, but she wanted to jump down off the settee and then kept sitting down. So, I went to help her and picked her up carefully, trying to avoid her tummy and she started to cry again and look uncomfortable. I'm now wondering if its chest area or her front legs? She does kind of throw herself off the settee and land with a bit of a jolt on her front. Maybe shes pulled or twisted something which is hurting her? I'll keep an eye on her tomorrow.

How I wish they could talk and tell us where it hurts :unsure: :(