UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Old Collie In Pembs

owl

Time for this chap to have his own thread.

The story so far: the old boy has lived on a farm through 3 lots of tenants and the last lot buzzed off and left him 6 weeks ago :angry: . Neighbours have been feeding him and a feral cat who lives there. Dog is going downhill, very matted and with infestation, and neighbours fear for his future in case someone decides to just have him pts. They contacted Trallwm Farm for help.

Progress made to date: a place has been offered at BC rescue in Reading, but not available for a fortnight. Several Fugees have kindly offered some financial help, which we may need if he goes into boarding and/or to help with vet costs. A kennel space is available but not until the weekend, and if I can get someone to put a door on a big shed here, we won't need it anyway as I reckon I can cope with a lodger for a fortnight. He is going to my friend Kathy for cleaning up and grooming on Friday morning.

Plan is to get him to my vet first for a checkup, and then we will know what we have got and what the options are. I'm betting on manky teeth, arthritis and assorted internal and external parasites. Really hoping for no mange :unsure: and hoping he has an agreeable nature.

Hope to talk to neighbours tomorrow and take it from there.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you! I will update this thread with details of what he needs.

I've just spoken to the neighbours. The dog (whose name no one knows) is not in immediate danger of being pts as the new tenant farmer will not be arriving for a while. The previous one, besides abandoning this dog, also left tons of rubbish behind which is being cleared into skips and that certainly won't be finished this week. This gives me a bit of time to get the shed fixed up. Neighbours think the dog will be more at home in my shed and might get very distressed in kennels. They don't think he has ever been in a house or even off that farm. They have known him for the past 9 years.

He is very friendly and likes meeting people (whew!) and his problems appear to be arthritis, matted filthy coat, and loneliness. He is getting VERY depressed. Neighbours have cut some huge mats out of his coat but they can't touch his hindquarters or tail as he gets all snarly if they try. So I will warn Kathy to muzzle him before tackling his rear end.

So the plan is that I go and collect him on Thursday. Straight to the vet for a checkup and metacam for the arthritis (I try to avoid it long term but it helps with acute inflammation) and then home to me, before grooming session on Friday. So I have today and tomorrow to get a gate/door sorted for the shed and see that it is both collie-proof and Humphrey-proof. The 2 old gits have to be kept firmly apart!

The cat is very timid, really feral and not often seen. The neighbours continue to feed her. I have a friend who does feral cat work in Pembs so will discuss with her. We are not ignoring the cat, but the collie is the most urgent case.