UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Old Collie In Pembs

owl

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Groomer is my friend Kathy who does BC rescue. I think she will manage. I've warned her that it will be a horrendous job and he will need to be muzzled, and she is still speaking to me! Worst case scenario is he would have to be sedated and clipped off at the vets.

I am sure the matting is why he is tetchy about being handled.

I hope so. My Sheena still doesn't like to be man handled. Which reminds me I'm supposed to be ringing Wiccs about her. Look forward to seeing some pics of the new neat man when he's ready to meet his public. Thank goodness he has you caring for him.

Have just taken him for walkies. He didn't eat much of his supper, which worries me. I think he is too stressed to eat. Anyway, he is now back in the car, where he feels safe. There is plenty of room in the back, and he spent last night curled up in the driver seat. It's not ideal, but it is warm and dry.

I did get him walkng on lead this morning :) He panicked at first, but soon realised I wasn't dragging him off anywhere but was content to follow him wherever he wanted as he pottered along. Little by little I started to steer him and in the end he was content to follow me.

I am fairly certain he is very hard of hearing if not totally deaf. He doesn't react to Humphrey barking outside the car, and acted as if Humph was saying "Welcome to my territory, please enjoy your stay" rather than "geroff my patch pdq you filthy old tramp".

We got back a couple of hours ago after a beneficial but rather exhausting time at Kathy's. I took before and after pics which Mr Owl will make into jpegs for us later today. It took both of us 2 hours to turn him from a disgusting and unhappy old tramp into a neat, cheerful, respectable gentleman. The volume of grotty matted fur which remained on the floor exceeded the volume of collie we ended up with by quite a lot!

We had to muzzle him the whole way through. He was very upset and scared to start off with, and we were both soaked through, covered in yukky hair, and finally peed on :rolleyes: Then when his all-over crew cut was being dried and combed, he suddenly realised that the warm air was nice and being groomed was not so bad.

We had to clip his whole coat off, except for face and legs which just got a light trim. There was no option. Kathy used a number 7 clipper, which normally leaves them a bit fluffy, and was horrified to see that he had very little hair underneath because he had no undercoat to speak of and no new growth. The matting was so thick that his hair had stopped growing altogether. I thought he has going to end up bald, but after washing and brushing he has a velvety crew cut.

Lesley was right about the mobility. He does have arthritis, but it isn't as bad as I thought. The mats in the groin area were limiting movement of hind legs.

We found no fleas, ticks or other nasty critters. I suspect they couldn't get through the coat.

And ..... we found to our amazement that he is neutered :biggrin: There was no way of telling before as he was like someone wearing 8 pairs of trousers!