UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

White And Ginger Male Cat (neutered)- Updated: Back Home!

KathyM

Thanks Phebe,

We've been out a couple of times today looking and no sign. I feel terrible though because I can't go out looking tonight, and I feel like I'm letting the routine down by not going out. I have family visiting tomorrow though and I *have* to get the house a bit cleaner than the dump I've let it turn into over the last few days, it's a bloody sty here and the kids need a damn good scrub too. I can't help but feel like I'll miss the one time we might catch him - I know it's stupid but that's how I feel. I might have to squeeze in an hour late tonight and go out alone then. Can't take Dharma but I'll have my phone I s'pose. I don't think I'll sleep unless I go out. Or get drunk. Going out is more responsible though. :rolleyes:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately we've had a series of prank calls tonight which have wasted our time and energy and left us feeling thoroughly peed off with the world. :mecry: Started off sounding like the real deal, then progressed to a sequence of calls taking the p*ss basically. :mecry:

We're taking the rest of the night off as it's a bit wet here too, so we don't think a search will be fruitful - Baz is also concerned about me going out alone around the backstreets (he's ill and we have noone to babysit).

We've done 4 searches today, and it still doesn't feel enough. I'm going to stand outside very late on tonight and call/put food out again.

Thank you so much both of you, it's really a help coming here and reading your messages. Especially considering we're not getting the same reaction locally.

Today someone approached my sister asking if she'd lost her cat, unfortunately she misheard them as saying "car" and she said no. They were then very rude to her. They were local teenagers and most likely behind the prank calls last night.

It's made me exceptionally paranoid now. Still no luck with the searches. No genuine calls either.

I try toget some sleep but I get that lurching feeling in my stomach. The same kind of feeling you used to get when you were a kid and knew you'd forgotten to do your homework or something. Baz says it might be best if I take my anti-anxiety medicine but those tablets are well known to cause insomnia so I'm not sure it would help.

I can't help feeling like we're jinxed. We had a bad run with outdoor cats, losing two to the roads and two to thieves, and when we went to pick out a cat in rescue, we specifically picked one that would be happy to be kept as an indoor cat so that we didn't have to live in this kind of fear. 6 wonderful years we've had with Dodge, he is a wonderful cat, the best cat in the world. And he's not here where he's safe. :mecry:

On the plus side, Ba ran into the 2nd home we were told about as being feeders of local cats. She said she feeds all the cats in the area and hasn't seen Dodge, but will keep her eyes peeled for him. Much as I'm fuming that she thinks she is helping when really she's luring cats away from their homes, I can't help but feel that if she carries on for a little longer, she might find him. I dunno.

Wild goose chase this morning. Asked some men working at the allotments if they'd seen Dodge and one said yes, he'd been moving some rubbish/wood and he'd scared him out and he'd shot up the road. Was absolutely certain it was Dodge, so we spent an hour calling around the area. On the way back, the man asked where we lived in case he saw him again.

Came home and printed more flyers out to take back out, got the cat box, etc. Knock on the door, it was the man from the allotments, he had supposedly found Dodge.

Went running up the road with him, and he started talking about what had happened. He let slip the cat he had seen was black and white. :mecry: All for nothing. Definitely not Dodge.

He has been gone 8 days today. We haven't had a positive sighting since last week. Not one phonecall other than the hoaxes. I know it's only been 8 days but I don't think I should be getting my hopes up about him coming home now. That's not to say I won't be trying to find him, I'll keep this up for as long as it takes, but at some point I have to face the idea that maybe he's not coming back, because that's a possibility.

Thanks Phebe

Been out leafleting with the kids all afternoon. Locals seem to find it amusing that we're still looking for him. Got some grief off some local kids again. Nobody gives a monkeys.

I knocked on the first cat person's house, the window and inside door was open, so I think they were in. No answer again. Got to stop being paranoid and thinking someone's keeping him. It's making me insanely jealous. :angry:

:GroupHug: I checked in hoping for good news Kathy. :( I'm so sorry Dodge is still missing. Just a thought, is there anyone on holiday round by you. :unsure:

I was wondering if he had got locked in a garage perhaps. :unsure:

Is it worth trying the local radio or the free papers that come through the door for some publicity?? Sorry if you had already done that.

Am thinking of you all and willing Dodge to come home.

Kazz xx

Thanks ever so much Kazz :flowers:

There aren't any houses with garages around here, thank God. There are quite a few Victorian terraces with small attached outbuildings though, and we have been knocking door to door asking people to check their sheds etc.

I've asked the local "oracle" (lol - lady who knows everyone's business) if she knows of anyone on holiday. There is an empty house on our street that had it's back window put through the night before Dodge went missing (now fixed). I managed to get hold of the builders that have been in and out and asked them to check the house over before leaving. They said they would but you know when you think people think you're a bit mad? :rolleyes:

I'm in Scotland at the moment, Kathy, but just checked in to see if your boy was home.

Don't give up. I felt really silly calling Rowan night after night (and I had to miss many nights as time passed, because we'd moved away) and I knew the neighbours thought I was mad, but I did get him back - after 7 weeks.

I thought he'd been stolen because a) he is beautiful and soppy :wub: and b) I thought he wouldn't be able to survive for that time outdoors. He was very thin when he came home but he had lived on his wits, obviously, while I was imagining him on someone else's lap.

I'd got to the stage where I hoped he had been taken in, because at least he'd be safe. It's horrible not knowing. :GroupHug:

Liz.