UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Should Saddam Die?

raiye

Have just read the BBC news and have a very strange feeling inside.I think it's the worry of reprisals because you just know damn well they'll happen and that is a horrific thought.

I'm sure there are a lot of relieved Iraqis who feared this evil man but what effect will this have on the world now? It frightens me to be totally honest :(

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have just read the BBC news and have a very strange feeling inside.I think it's the worry of reprisals because you just know damn well they'll happen and that is a horrific thought.

I'm sure there are a lot of relieved Iraqis who feared this evil man but what effect will this have on the world now? It frightens me to be totally honest :(

My feelings exactly :(

I must admit that having seen the video of him being led to the place of execution with his ankles shackled and then having the noose placed around his neck, I felt incredibly sad :(

Has anybody ever read The Chamber by John Grisham? It's about a man on death row awaiting his execution and is very moving.

Me too. Well I've not read the BBC News but share your feelings on the rest of it.

I've just posted this on another forum;

<snip>

I can't help but feel he was a scape goat who was killed before he spilled a lot of facts about the American administrations for the past 40 odd years

I am against the death penalty, (I can't explain it, but) in my soul I think it is wrong :(

<snip>

And to do it on Eid too, makes it worse, Britain should have made much, much more of a fuss over the death penalty, why was Milosovich allowed a UN (?) trial etc - he was accused of genocide :(

Edited by Sheplover

I must admit that having seen the video of him being led to the place of execution with his ankles shackled and then having the noose placed around his neck, I felt incredibly sad :(

I didn't see it. I did feel a pang but I think we can emphasise with him and the fear he must have felt but he never showed any empathy or compassion to the victims he tortured.

What worries me is the repercussions.

Alison

No. Because I think punishment should be punishment..harsh, long and hard punishment. Therefore I think execution is the easy way out for him. TBH I think all prison sentences should be in a small cell, hard bed, toilet and thats it, non of this having TV's, games and socializing that they call prison in this country. They should be made to work (hard manual work) and given the basic food.

I agree with you 100%.

Most come out and go on breaking the law so giving them 'nicities' doesn't make them become good citizens.

He been hung so mute point now.

And to do it on Eid too, makes it worse, Britain should have made much, much more of a fuss over the death penalty, why was Milosovich allowed a UN (?) trial etc - he was accused of genocide :(

IMO it was much more convenient to have Saddam killed before he could possibly say and do things which the US and UK governements would regret

Most come out and go on breaking the law so giving them 'nicities' doesn't make them become good citizens.

If you look at the statistics, countries which have what we many people in the UK would consider to be 'soft' penal systems have a far better record at turning offenders into law abiding citizens.

I'm sad today the UK governement and their bosses the US government have allowed another murder to happen.

To be honest I think he should have had life imprisonment, as he has got away with it far too easy, yes he has been executed but it's now over for him.........

Problem is though, what effect would his life imprisonment have had on a country already at (civil) war? I've compared it to Nelson Mandela's imprisonment on another board. Completely opposite side of the coin I know, but what I was trying to say was, that Mandela being alive in prison gave a lot of the people of the ANC someone to fight for. Nevermind if he was kept in an isolation cell where he didn't hear anything of what was going on. Those people fought against apartheid and for Mandela. And you don't wanna think about what would of happened the day he died in prison; hell breaking loose would of been an understatement!

I just think it's a shame, and maybe rather telling, that Saddam didn't go out fighting himself, but sat in his little cellar while letting his lackies do the job of fighting off the Americans for him.

I'm totally against the death penalty, but I can't say I am in this case. I've seen too many Iraqis on telly celebrating Saddam's death and I'm like: who am I to condemn this, I've not suffered at the hands of this tyrant and neither have my family and friends. The people I saw celebrating were forced to flee their country, leaving all that they knew and loved behind. I've got enormous respect for them and as much as I don't agree with the death penalty, I'd feel extremely self-righteous condemning Saddam's death in the face of someone who's lost half their family at his hands.

As ofr it being on Eid: I've heard several people say that this was their best Eid present, so again, I'm not going to disagree with something that isn't even part of my culture. All I was thinking of really was: better him killed than one of the millions of sheep that'll be suffering to death again this year. Got more of a problem with that really. :( :angry:

I do completely disagree with the way the "trial"has been held though: it was just a show trial, totally orchestrated by the americans. I would have loved for the trial to carry on to reveal the exact role they had played in helping him into the saddle and keeping him there for their own means. Saddam only became a "threat to world peace"after he refused to be a US lacky any more.

i suppose this depends on what role you see imprisonment brings.

if you believe that people can change-prison can be a positibe thing that gives the opportunity for reflection /education & personal growth.

if you dont then prison is to punish th4 offender-and give warning to others tempted to follow their footsteps.

personally i dont believe in the death penalty-i cant create life-so how can i justify my choice to end it.

i believe that every person changes-whether they cahnge to suit me is a different question-and therefore murder my state is unacceptable....as i believe that time & experience affect us all.

revenge serves noone any good

fee