UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

We have a lump!!!!! :glare: :angry: Think he must of knocked his leg on his jump!!! :( Silly sod, I just get my saddle, bit and confidence going...and he does that!!

Oh well I took Indy out for a walk instead, she was perfect...although I'm finding it very hard with certain people (Lynns DIL) who thinks she knows it all!!! She said I was walking Indy wrong because I was leading her with me inbetween the traffic and her, I said it didn't matter as she had to learn to be led both sides and I felt it was safer that me with the hi-vis on was between her and cars! Then had a go because I put her bridle and bit on, she said 'oh you don't need that for a quick walk' I said any chance to get her used to the bit is good, then she was saying that I was wasteing my time opening wheelie bins and banging the lids down!! She seems to forget that I road led a very nervous, strong Kane for a year on the roads and I while I don't know alot I certainly think I know something about de-sensitising horses!!! :mad: :mad: I wouldn't mind but she's only been riding 2 years and yesterday I couldn't believe it when she told me she'd been riding a friends horse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She's got Danny stood in that field, not been looked at one week to the next (well not by her, me and Lynn make sure he's okay!!!!!!!!) and she goes and rides someone elses horse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh I feel so much better now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

People are strange aren't they :angry: Every yard has someone like like, such a shame she is a relative as I guess the chances of her dissapearing are slim :unsure: Good job Danny has people to look out for him :flowers:

Bummer about the lump, is he lame or just lumpy?

Good luck with the dressage Pendlewitch :flowers: I am practising P10 and not liking it much :rolleyes: Somebody called it the testical test :laugh:

Yay looking forward to more foalie pics from Anne :jumpy:

Got everything crossed for Wanda and Apple!!

Had to tell you about our hack yesterday - very funny!

Was on leave so went for a hack in the morning.

We are on the Gatwick flight path so we have a lot of anti terrorism police patrols on the bridle path that runs adjacent to the farm.

Heading for home when Rolo spots something scarey on the the horizon - 2 hikers with back packs. Friend's horse then also spots them and starts to play up. Penny then drops that they are police officers with back packs on. Friend shouts to them "Can you please say something" - blank stares - "Please say something - anything" - blank stare "please say something - to settle horses" - they say "What do you want us to say/" - We say "that was poerfect and carry on our way!. When we get level we explain that as they are all in blkack with black back packs the horses were unsettled as they could not work out what they were. Both officers were quite chatty, so my friend stopped for a chat, and Rolo and I wandered off a little way. Then I thought, ooh, perfect opportunity to desensitise Rolo to walking back packs, so I turn around and park him next door to the police man - Rolo gives him a good once over, looking for treats (all he found was a gun and various other scarey looking items!) and police woman makes a fuss of him then we turn around and head for home.

My friend then informs me that policeman was absolutely petrified the entire time that Rolo was next to him. :rolleyes: Looking back - he did dstand bolt still and barely moved a muscle while we were there!

Imagine - my oversized guinea pig frightening an anti terrorist police officer!!! :biggrin:

:laugh: :laugh: Brilliant!! Good old Rolo ..they scared him so he'll scare them back!!! :laugh: Although we have the anti-terriorist police at the port and one of them was terrified to the point of crying of my dogs!!! :ohmy: Wouldn't mind but his partner is the sniffer dog handler!! :laugh:

Thanks Clare it's just a lump, I prodded and poked last night and he didn't flinch! So it's been cold watered and he's on rest!!! :mad: :mad: They are a pain in the bum!!!!

Oh meant to say good luck Wanda! :wub:

Poor Kane - and Jacky, they really do have great timing don't they!!!

Good luck Wanda - hope all goes well for you - any piccie takers going to be there?

It might be looking up for me getting a couple of lessons with my trainer before the regionals - got a text from her last night to say she is starting a couple of clients again to see how she gets on and do I want a lesson - I nearly took her hand off (by text!!!!).

Have had a look and it is Novice 32 and Elementary 44 - not the worst tests in the world but loads of circles in strange places in the novice!!!

I have decided to introduce a bit to Will - he is very good to lead with a headcollar but I want to start road walking with him and think it would be far safer to do with a bridle on - any advice for introducing the bit and how to proceed - have done it a couple of times but more ideas always welcome!!

We've had Indy in the bit for a few weeks now, tbh from the day she came I've been messing around with her mouth! I've had fingers in and out and (blimey I'm likely to get blasted but it seems to have worked!!) I used to put the lead rope in her mouth where the bit would go, and just hold it there for a few seconds and let her chew on it. She is a really easy girl to handle anyway, I don't know if it helped or if she's just excepting of everything but she certainly hasn't had a problem with it. At nearly 15hh already we thought she needed it sooner rather than later!! :laugh:

Sorry Jacky - I took so long to type my post that I missed yours! (trying to type surruptitiously at work!)

Bloomin horses - get one thing sorted and everythign else goes to pot! Hope the lump goes down soon.

After having Rolo buigger off when I was leading him, I would never lead on the road without a bit in - I think you are beign very sensible - safety first!

I'll get Jayne to take the camera down to the stables this weekend.

Will always has something in his mouth - either my fingers, the lead rope, his rug, apple's rug - pretty much anything within reach - I suspect he will quite like the idea of the bit - something he can suck on without being told off by me or Apple!!!

I'll get Jayne to take the camera down to the stables this weekend.

Will always has something in his mouth - either my fingers, the lead rope, his rug, apple's rug - pretty much anything within reach - I suspect he will quite like the idea of the bit - something he can suck on without being told off by me or Apple!!!

:laugh: :laugh: Think you'll have no problems then!! The only thing we're having a problem with is her trying to rub her face against you with it in...it hurst!!! :dry:

Oh thanks Clare I had forgot!!

:angry: :angry: Don't ask about the leg!! Was going to post, does anyone know how splints present themselves???? I've got a nasty feeling that's what it is!! The vet is coming on monday to vaccinate the foals so I was going to wait til then to get it checked out, but have been cold hosing it everynight. He's not in pain and I've been putting tea-tree on the help with the swelling...but I've a suspicion that's what it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Had a quick look in my book and it said rest for 30 days at least!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:

Oh no poor you and Kane :GroupHug: My understanding is that once formed it shouldn't cause you any trouble. I think a splint normally presents itself as a hard bony lump.

I found this article which gives some alternative treatments you could try Splints

and another that is quite informative More on splints

Daft bugger couldn't he just wait to go cross country with you :flowers:

The more I read the more I'm convienced that's what it is!!!!!!!!! At least it doesn't need anything other really than rest, I'm reluctant to give him bute as he's not in any pain and some articles I've read have said theres nothing much else you can do! Will get some arnica though. :flowers: Thanks Clare.

I wouldn't worry too much if it is a splint Jacky, Apple has got them on both his front legs. Rest whilst forming - you'll be able to tell when it's fully formed cos it will be solid boney lump, no swelling or softness - once it is formed you can start work with him again - only took a couple of weeks for Apple's to harden and he was never lame when they were forming either.