UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

I might get a chance to do some odd grooming/care bits soon for a friend, i cant wait!, makes a nice change to wandering fields taking foal pics!

Ooh fingers crossed it comes off and you can get a proper horsey fix :flowers:

Glad Bumble is no worse, still sending get well wishes and hoping he starts to improve soon :GroupHug:

Loki's respiratory rate was back to normal this morning I think, never quite confident in my attempts to count it accurately, but did it 5 times and it was mostly 8, I did also get a 7 and a 9 so 8 must be about right :laugh:

Even though the vet said to keep him in work I have given him a couple of days off, going to have a play tonight and see how he is, although not looking forward to it as he is under the influence of Propell and it doesn't bode well for a nice riding experience :rolleyes:

Glad Loki is feeling better :flowers: Hope the schooling session wasn't too bad :)

We have a lesson tomorrow, will be interested to see how he is, and whether he can step under himself now his McTimmoney lady has mended him.

How is Bumble getting on? :flowers:

Hows Loki doing :flowers:

CP are you and Milo ok now after the other days fright :GroupHug:

Tonight i'm :wacko: Vet has been, really pleased with bouncing Bumble, no reaction to hoof testers. Now i know how careful i have to be with him but vet wants him on a minimum of 2 months complete box rest :ohmy: Only after that can he be walked in hand for 10mins a day :ohmy: building up over several weeks to being turned out. We're looking at october/november before he can start being turned out anywhere near normal.Trouble is my lot are used to being out 12 -15hrs a day and Bumble is already trying to trot around stable :rolleyes: I really dont think he'll cope :mecry: I expected a bit more stable rest then gradual turn out in a small area but i'm a bit gobsmacked at this. Bumble does a form of wind sucking which naturally has got worse the last few days and i dont want to 'collar' him as he already has scars all the way round wher hes obviously been collared in the past.

Edited by collies r best

Aww bumble :GroupHug: Glad he is improving, but 2 months box rest sounds like a nightmare. On our farm we have a very small sand paddock that is a similar size to a stable that we use to give them a change of scenery when they are in for any reason. If he continues to improve, I'd ask the vet if you can do something like that. We tie a hay net up so they have something to do when out.

Glad to hear Bumble is feeling a bit better but what a long time confined to stable :GroupHug:

Gooster how did your lesson go today and hows Blues tail now?

Glad Loki is feeling better, there always seems to be something to worry about with horses, I dont know how you all cope :GroupHug:

Milo :wub: such a difference in him now, gorgeous.

Lessons again this week on Magic, have I mentioned how fab he is :wub: :wub: will def get a piccie this week of him.

He sometimes strikes off on the wrong canter lead on left rein though will do a flying change but gotta work on that.

As lessons are getting busier on a Saturday now with better weather a couple of the instructors said they will stay late so 3 of us can have a private lesson one evening as well as our Friday afternoon lesson, means we wont be held back in a larger lesson at weekends. Roll on Tuesday :jumpy:

Lesson was fantastic. He was really forwards straight away and was listening to me. He had a bit of a spook at a pole at the side of the school (despite having walked past it on both reins, but it was a horse eating monster when he walked straight at it :rolleyes: ) Ended up losing my stirrup, but managed to stop him and get my stirrup back. We then went back to face the monster again and he was fine!! We did more work on steering him with my seat and legs, and at the end he was doing a beautiful trot where he was really carrying himself and I could have let go of the reins and he'd have still kept doing that trot!

Having worked with race horses ..one of which broke her hip not once but twice coming out of the stalls...this amount of box rest is not out of the ordinary.....you could try feed balls and horse licks... put a few bales of straw in to keep him from box walking, try and keep things as interesting as possible........ his feet sound in a very serious way....

Meant to say i know i should just be relieved Bumbles recovering well after so nearly being pts but this much box rest has thrown me, it just sounds like i'm being petty :rolleyes:

Looking forward to Magic pics :biggrin:

Aww that is a long time on box rest, if its any consolation when I had a horse on box rest my vet said that the first week is normally tricky but then they accept it and get into the new routine and he was right, hope Bumble starts to adjust soon :GroupHug: :flowers:

Sounds a good lesson Gooster :biggrin: apart from the spooking bit obviously :laugh:

Loki seems much more himself last few days so decided to do the dressage yesterday. He did a lovely test and was so chuffed with him, it was an open prelim and all the posh people with their flashy dressage horses were using it as a warm up for the novice, so being happy with our work I put him out with his mates and went home to dry off without checking my scores. Got a call to say where had I gone and did I know I had come 2nd with 68.3% :ohmy:

I am still in shock to be honest as I saw at least 5 others go who looked amazing and I would never say we could go better than that.

Was great to see CP and hope to meet Milo next time :biggrin:

Anyway Loki must have been doing a lap of honour in the field as he came in minus shoes to bring me back to earth :rolleyes:

Here the vid

Having worked with race horses ..one of which broke her hip not once but twice coming out of the stalls...this amount of box rest is not out of the ordinary.....you could try feed balls and horse licks... put a few bales of straw in to keep him from box walking, try and keep things as interesting as possible........ his feet sound in a very serious way....

Vet wants him to have complete rest for his feet and his back. Physio ideally wants him moving about and doing exercises to help back and avoid more back trouble through muscle tone being lost :wacko: :wacko: Talk about being between a rock and a hard place. Due to his lammi hes not allowed any licks etc but i know from past experience he doesn't like them anyway. Straw is very hard to come by over here, hardly anyone makes it but i'll look for some.Vet says hes not allowed anything but hay but i put my foot down said he having a tiny bit of Happy Hoof as its not fair to feed the others and not him. So he has a small handful twice a day.

Good for you and Loki :biggrin:

Glad everyones enjoying their lessons :biggrin:

Edited by collies r best

Wanted.....a super strong set of hobbles, preferably chain so i can secure them to walls :laugh: :laugh: Got to stable last night to find my poorly angel :rolleyes: BUCKING in the stable :wacko: was terrified his feet would connect with barn walls as they're thick granite. Not sure who'll lose their sanity first, me or Bumble :wacko:

Edited by collies r best

You might have your hands full with that ....:)...can he have any company in the stable (not sure if it would be big enough?)

Wanted.....a super strong set of hobbles, preferably chain so i can secure them to walls :laugh: :laugh: Got to stable last night to find my poorly angel :rolleyes: BUCKING in the stable :wacko: was terrified his feet would connect with barn walls as they're thick granite. Not sure who'll lose their sanity first, me or Bumble :wacko:

Omg!!! Norty bumble :shock: :laugh:

Just schooled Blue on my own. He was a bit lazy to begin with, but kept doing loads of transitions and then he woke up. He was being so good I decided to brave a canter. He was fab, he fell back to trot a few times, but we managed a full 20m circle on both reins :biggrin: Just waiting for physio now to check to see if he is still mended.

Any news on Bumble?

Loki was very clever :wub: I will definately get practicing and drag Milo down for the dressage in August. Ive done some research, there isnt a loose ring hanging cheek bit but apperently you can get a fulmer bit (like a full cheek but with a loose ring) which is the closest id get to loose ring and poll pressure and still be dressage legal. So i may have to do some experimenting!

We're off to a fun show on the 3rd of july, im definately going to do 2 jumping classes but am umming and arrring over which show classes to do. Theres 3 for me - Ridden Cob, Ridden Coloured and In-Hand Coloured. I cant choose :laugh: It does mean i'll have to buy him a hunter bridle and maybe borrow a pelham...can I show him in my GP? Ive got a dressage saddle but that might look a bit odd :unsure: But have got my tweed etc im all sorted :wink:

Early signs show that Milo's new food may just be working. Had a jumping lesson on Sunday and he was very sedate (maybe thats because it was peeing with rain :laugh: ) and ive free schooled him tonight and he was very chilled and laid back, even when he saw me dragging the jumps out. So who knows...oh wait ive just seen a pig fly past my window :laugh: