UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Lovely piccies- they look very good for their age :) You have inspired me to tak esome of my old codger over the weekend!

I may be having an interesting weekend - my friend has a 17 hand chestnut mare - I have ridden her in the school once - she has persuaded me to let her take me for a little ride down the lane on Saturday - with her on foot. Very kind of her, especially as she knows I am nercous about hacking out.

Then, on Sunday, I may be riding a little TB gelding who is very very quiet - Sarah is determined to get me on him as she thinks that his build and stride will remind me of Nemo :) Think his owners are looking for a sharer in the long term, which is not a route I would really want to go down - I am not good at sharing my toys :laugh: , but at the moment I think they would be grateful if someone small just rode him every now and again.

I also have to lunge Rolo - always entertaining!! :laugh: Am also hoping to do some in hand stuff with him - he was so good on Tuesday night - put some scarey things in the school and got him to follow me (off lead) up to them, over them and around them - had him walking over towels on the floor and plastic sacks - not a murmur from him :wub:

Wow Jen sounds like you have an action packed weekend! Now don't make it rain all weekend will you :laugh:

By 7am this morning I had lunged Loki over trotting pole, canter poles and a jump, that just isn't normal is it :unsure:

Bless him it is the first time we have done canter poles, the first time he went over them I though he had gone badly lame, as he tucked up one of his hind legs out to the side and hopped over them :huh: once on the flat he was fine, so sent him again and the same thing happened, after a few more attempts the light went on and he managed to remember where all his legs where in order to get over them :rolleyes: Even managed to remember when we changed rein :wub:

I then put up a little jump for him to pop, not big but not tiny, twice on one rein, changed rein and then he decided it didn't deserve jump status and he went over it like a raised trotting pole, didn't touch a pole you have to wonder :wacko:

Oooh nearly forgot I got a call yesterday to say I had a place on the Andrew Gould clinic next Sunday :biggrin: Just hope my saddle gets sorted on Wednesday because I have had to pay upfront :rolleyes:

Tara is lovely, I'm sure you are going to have so much fun with her Sarah!

The golden oldies , Duke and Squeak look so well, how nice to see them enjoying life so much!

Jen that TB sounds perfect, can't you persuade yourself to share just one toy? :biggrin: Hope Rolo is a good boy in his lunging session, I'm just off to lunge Wanda and then hopefully have a bit of a ride on her!

Eeek Clare, you are still up and out at the crack of dawn! Have to admit I'm out at a similar time to dog walk as BC Jumble can't stand the heat!

I am feeling a bit fed up :unsure: My friend Helen owns this company and runs her courses here. I would love to do one but it is too expensive for me. Anyway, someone on her next course has let her down so she offered the place to me at a greatly reduced rate. Only drawback it is half term week and I cannot get time off work to do it :( I chose not to take May half term off so someone else could.

Why can't things ever go to plan???????

Edited by Angel155

Are you sure you won't be very very poorly sick that week Angel??? :biggrin:

Jen that sounds like a perfect weekend! I think you are right to go out on other peoples horses, it will improve your confidence.

Clare it's offical you are TOO keen!!! :laugh: You're so lucky having so many events to attend.

Sounds like it might be an idea for a while Jen, help with your confidence perhaps :flowers:

Lovely oldies Lindsey :wub:

Q: with body protector things what are the measuring points for over shoulder one?

Jacky (with slightly selfish head on :wink: ) if you move will it be before I get there and I will I still get to ride Danny? :unsure: (Obviously I'm joking BTW, 'cos I am sure I can find a riding place anyway)

Duke and Squeek look bloomin good for their age!!

Was jumping ziggy this week although i think need to take him back to basics. when he approaches the jump he snatches the reins and rushes. tried putting pole in front but he just took off before it :rolleyes: am i right in thinking need to go back to trotting poles and very small jump making him trot over them and the jump to teach him not to rush so much? he wears a running martingale and happy mouth and flash. when trotting he carries his head high in the air until he has cantered then he is much more collected.

Owner is away all this week so going to try and go up more and work on him weather permitting!! getting a little fed up that there is no hacking...(well there is but need trailer to get to hours of hacking in forests) i think if he was hacked out regularly it would burn some energy. apparantly he is unstoppable if he canters on hack but i think this is because he isnt hacked out and so when he is its all really exciting.

Angel - throw a sickie....its the only way ;-) x

Wanda would just like to mention she has this morning acquired her:

40TH RUG

A tasty lilac cooler, as it was sadly too big for Sam's Kim and as Obe would not wear lilac, Wanda traded it for a new fly mask that was too big and my New Rock boots!

I think I have a rug fetish! :unsure: She has two of every possible type and weight in stable rugs and turnouts and more fleeces and coolers than Derby House! Daft thing about it is she is not a cold person and won't tolerate being over rugged. I need help! :laugh:

San - go and get one fitted - it is the only way to get a good fit - I went to a place in Littlehampton - ended up savign some money as the only one that fitted me properly was a kids one! :laugh:

Clare - sounds like a great start to the morning!! Would consider it myself :)

Good luck with Ziggy :)

Am I permitted a proud mum moment? :) I am so so proud of Rolo - he was hacked out on his own on the roads today - first time ever on the roads on his own since he has been here (they are lanes, but they are fast) and first time on the road at all since last Autumn. I know the route that he was taken along and it is probably about 4 miles ish - through 2 scary farms, 3 gates and probably about 2 miles of road work. Apparently he did not put a foot wrong. :wub: He was a very good boy on the lunge for me yesterday too. Why did he have to get so damn wide? :mecry: C'est la vie, I guess. He is going to give someone a lot of fun. We think he may have grown to 15 hands now - really must measure him!

I did ride the massive mare yesterday - nearly couldn't get my foot in the stirrup - even with amounting block!! :laugh: My friend led her down the bridle path until I got used to her (it is a bloomin long way down!) - when we turned for home I was let loose and we had a couple of really nice trots - she is much easier in trot out than she was in the school :) My friend has been so kind she has offered to let me have lessons on her once a week until I get myself sorted - very very kind - but I did feel very insignificant on her! :laugh:

Wanda would just like to mention she has this morning acquired her:

40TH RUG

A tasty lilac cooler, as it was sadly too big for Sam's Kim and as Obe would not wear lilac, Wanda traded it for a new fly mask that was too big and my New Rock boots!

I think I have a rug fetish! :unsure: She has two of every possible type and weight in stable rugs and turnouts and more fleeces and coolers than Derby House! Daft thing about it is she is not a cold person and won't tolerate being over rugged. I need help! :laugh:

Dear God - that is worse than me and Nemo!!! :laugh:

San - go and get one fitted - it is the only way to get a good fit - I went to a place in Littlehampton - ended up savign some money as the only one that fitted me properly was a kids one! :laugh:

Yeah but Robinsons have some reduced to £42 - level 3 (whatever that means)

:wub: Rolo, what a babe!

Well done on the riding :biggrin:

Jacky (with slightly selfish head on :wink: ) if you move will it be before I get there and I will I still get to ride Danny? :unsure: (Obviously I'm joking BTW, 'cos I am sure I can find a riding place anyway)

:laugh: That's not at all selfish! Don't worry Danny is still going to be there and Lynn will happily go out with you. I'll remind her when I see her later (if she's talking to me that is!!! :laugh: ). If for some reason it doesn't happen then it's no problem, Kane isn't far away and you can come up to his new home and ride him. I'll meet you for a dog walk at some point as well if thats okay?

Ziggy sounds lovely Pheonix. Personally I'd get rid of the martingale and flash and see how he goes without them...might surprise you!!! :wink: Yes I'd go back to basics with him and use trotting poles til he learns to chill out.

40 rugs PW!!!!!!!!!!! Although Kane does only have 2 rugs for emergencies...I was tempted cos local feed place has a rug sale on and I did have to stop myself going in!!! :laugh:

Well done Rolo!! What a star, it's such a shame Jen. That's great that your friend has offered that.

Wellllll Kane was ridden by someone else on saturday!!! My friend that shares Danny came with me to the new stables and after said she didn't have anything to do for an hour so was going to come and see Danny. Amazingly Helen had taken Danny out (to visit a friend and have his mane pulled for the show....not for anything frivilous like exercise!!!). So I suggested she get on Kane and see what she thinks!!! He had a major paddy when she tried to get on, but good on her and she didn't let him scare her!!! Eventually he calmed down when he realised she wasn't going to murder him!! And after walking him in hand round the school I let go and he went lovely for her!! She's now completely smitten with him and couldn't get over how comfortable he is!!

So the good thing is she's agreed to come and have a lesson from me on Kane once a week at his new home. I've checked with the YO and she doesn't mind (didn't want her to think I was using her school and charging for a lesson..cos I'm not charging Katrina anything to ride him). It's great cos it means I get a night off, I get to teach which I love and Kane gets used to another rider which is good for him!!

Good boy Rolo :wub: I really hope you find him a home where you can keep in touch so we can keep upto date on his adventures in the future :flowers:

My head is a bit like this :wacko: saddler comes out tomorrow but I am not convinced Lokihorse's back isn't out, lots of little things, he isn't lame and works nicely on the lunge but I have a niggle, not too happy about saddler messing around with him under saddle if there is a problem but won't know until I sit on him and then there is the clinic on Sunday to make a decision on :wacko: :wacko:

My physio is so busy at the moment when I spoke to him on Saturday he said he would try his best to fit us in but couldn't promise, I left a message this morning saying I am pretty sure there is a problem now and did he have any cancellations or could he recommend anyone I could use a one off, in the meantime I have spent today searching the internet trying to find any other decent physios.

Just got a phone call from our physio saying he meet me at the yard at 6.30 tonight :mecry: Ilurvemyphysio, Ilurvemyphysio, Ilurvemyphysio, Ilurvemyphysio, Ilurvemyphysio, Ilurvemyphysio, Ilurvemyphysio, Ilurvemyphysio, Ilurvemyphysio, Ilurvemyphysio,

I am a bit relieved, can you tell :unsure: :laugh: I am going for a lie down now :rolleyes:

Oh poor Loki! Hope the physio can sort it out for you.

Went for a quick ride on the beach yesterday ...might be the last time for a while once I move, anyway forgot my jodphurs so rode in work trousers and wellies!! Not fun..he went nuts on the beach and I now know why jodphurs are the best thing for riding...think I got thigh chaffs!!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Went for a quick ride on the beach yesterday ...might be the last time for a while once I move, anyway forgot my jodphurs so rode in work trousers and wellies!! Not fun..he went nuts on the beach and I now know why jodphurs are the best thing for riding...think I got thigh chaffs!!!! :laugh: :laugh:

At least you weren't in your flipflops :laugh: