UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Grr, am getting a bit frustrated with my farrier now. Blue pulled his shoe off on Thursday and I texted him to ask him when he can come and put it back on, but had no response. I texted him again on Sunday to ask if he had any idea when he can get to me, again had no response from him. He's a brilliant farrier, but he's just rubbish at letting me know what's going on. I really need blue's feet doing now, but am reluctant to change farrier as a decent one who knows what he is doing is hard to come by.

Just not sure whether to get another farrier to do him, or to wait and see when Gareth can come up.

Ah the joys of farriers :flowers:

Saying that mine is a complete star and will even call to say if he is running late, a few weeeks ago he sent me a long text giving a progress report on Loki's front feet and saying how pleased he is with how his feet have recovered. I rather :wub: my farrier until I have to write the cheque :laugh:

Yep ive given it some thought and I will request to go on the lunge!! Im awful at no stirrups - I was fine with Earl (which is strange because he was the bounciest horse ever) but I get so tense and the more I try and relax the worse I get. Not looking forward to it!!

I have solved the mystery of Milo's lunatic behaviour on the lunge. As an experiment I let him stay in his stable majority of the day yesterday (he was chuffed, he got to lick his new garlic flavoured horslyx all day :laugh: ) because I thought if he was going to be naughty again on the lunge he would do it if he had lots of energy. So I braved it and lunged him in a bridle after he'd been in all day and *drumroll*...he was as good as gold. So im afraid to say im blaming the Cavesson :rolleyes: Anyone want it? :laugh:

Glad you have got to the bottom of Milo's nortyness!!

PW, I know exactly what Wanda's sharer is going through, I put a deposit on a NF before buying Blue, and they changed their mind - they couldn't part with him.

Still not got anywhere with the farrier situation, Blue's started to be a bit footsore on that leg too now, so need something sorted. Got the number of another farrier I am going to contact, but apparently there is one local farrier (the woman I was chatting to couldn't remember his name), who has disappeared off the radar recently as his wife is very poorly. My farrier's wife was due a baby in December, so am hoping all is well, and he is just being an unreliable git as opposed to something happening to his wife and baby :unsure:

Yep think I solved that mystery :rolleyes:

Gooster I have exactly the same situation as you - fantastic farrier but a pain in the backside to get hold of! The 3 of us on the yard who use him all get our horses shod at the same time so we all agree to bombard him with calls in the hope that he'll reply to atleast one of us :laugh:

Milo is too clever - I rode in the school this evening and my little jump I put up during the week was still there and everytime I rode past it you could feel him getting excited as he was obviously expecting to do it. He bombed off in canter so I made him walk for 10 minutes instead :rolleyes: No jumpies for norty cobbies!!!

My instructor forgot about my 'no stirrup work', hoorah :biggrin:

Just taken Milo out for his first hack 'in company'. I normally hack alone and hes fine, and the only time hes been out with another horse so far was 2 weeks ago when he and his field mate had a trip over to the common. Milo was in front the whole way round as I suspected he'd be too strong behing another horse.

I got to the yard today to go out for a hack and the teenagers were getting the ponies ready to go out so I thought if I went with them and walked quietly behind with one of the mums id get a chance to see what he'd be like. I put him at the back and the girls took off down the bridle path for a canter and he didnt even flinch. He didnt break into a trot or even feel like he was going to try and get to them. He just carried on walking. It made me :mecry: because hes such a sweetheart and his manners are just impreccable, I cant fault him.

Heres a photo of the handsome man himself with a plaited mane, I took this yesterday after his lesson :wub:

milosmilo.jpg

Aww good boy Milo :wub:

I've had to cancel my lesson today as Blue is lame on his foot with the missing shoe. Have heard that it is my farrier who nearly lost his wife over Christmas whilst she was giving birth. Have texted other farrier to see if she can come and do Blue's feet, but had no response yet. Will give her a call tomorrow if I haven't heard back.

Managed to speak to the new farrier last night, she apologised for not getting back to me, but had to have her dog put to sleep over the weekend, so has had a traumatic time. She is coming to the yard on Friday to do 3 others, so has said she'll do Blue and she's fine to do him without me being there. I told her he's actually better behaved if I'm not there, and she said most of them are!!

Hopefully he'll be sound again next week and I can start working the little bugger again!!