UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Still no luck on the hay, have been offered some @ £5 a bale but as the guy said he baled it whilst really green and a bit damp and now its got black sections on it i think i'll give it a miss :wacko:

I don't know how you could turn that down sounds delightful :wacko: :laugh:

Oh PW that is awful poor lady and horse :mecry:

We had completely defrosted by yesterday morning, so have done a couple of hacks in walk (much to Loki's digust at only walking) to get him back into action, probably will do that for a few more days before cracking on, its just so lovely to be able to ride again :biggrin:

On Monday I took Milo out for a hack, we walked the whole way round (like Loki, Milo was disgusted and he decided that even a flinch of leg movement MUST mean that he had to trot :laugh: ) and he was sweating buckets when we got home. Yesterday I did a 15 minute lungeing session with him to revise what he'd been learning.

Today my instructor came over to give me a lesson. I was intending it to be a lungeing lesson so she could give me some pointers but Milo was completely away with the fairies and had far too much energy so she decided to free school him. He loved that and worked really nicely, his self carriage in trot (which is what im working on) was 100 times better when he was free schooled so I think i'll have to do that a bit more often with him.

My instructor says ive conquered his walk (i.e no more Llama head up in the air, lovely long position instead) and his canter isnt bad so its just a case of really working on that trot. She's left it with me to continue with that and next lesson she wants me back in the saddle. God help me! :laugh:

Other news is that Milo may be getting a stable. Ive got some extra pennies coming in now so could afford to have one. I dont plan on putting him in particularly often, but I think it would be useful to get out of the rain and to have somewhere for him to cool off for a while.

Hope everyone is back in the saddle now :wink:

Yay!! So glad you have managed to get sorted!!

Hooray for everyone getting back in the saddle!! I don't know when I'll get back in the saddle, have had a really bad cough for the last few weeks, and today I had a coughing fit and felt something go 'pop' in my rib area. Am now hurting a lot, so god knows when he'll get worked!!

He is however getting to play in the field most days now - he's been filthy the last couple of days!!

Happy new year everyone!! What are everyone's horsey aims for 2011??

Mine are to ride Blue more often, am hoping now he is getting regular turnout that he will be a bit more chilled out. Also want to do a few more shows with him once he starts behaving himself!!

Happy New Year everyone!

Horsey aims for the year:

1. To continue Milo's education of long and low - cracked walk, need to keep going with trot!

2. To be able to do an entire schooling session without any pulling/rushyness (not too far off that goal)

3. To be able to jump course of small jumps in control (miles off that goal) :laugh:

4. IF and only IF we are totally in control without having to use that horrendous gag bit my instructor gave me, and IF I can get transport id like to do a fun ride at the end of the summer.

I schooled Milo on Thursday night, my instructor wanted me to practice trotting polest to help with regulating rhythm and then wants to get him extending with me riding as he can already do that easily on the lunge. I set the trotting poles up in the school and had him going in a nice consistant trot, i turned him down the 3/4 line for the poles and he cantered over them :angry: We then spent the next 15 mins quietly circling and calmly going over the poles but I felt I was fighting with him the whole time.

Will keep practicing with the poles, I think hes just way too excited because he hasnt seen any in a while :(

Milo moved into his stable today, of course this warranted the purchase of a nice new stable rug :laugh:

I hate straw bedding so I got paper which has so far turned out well. He only went in for a couple of hours this afternoon and there was hardly any wet bedding and as it's white you can spot the poo straight away which makes mucking out quicker. The only thing is that the paper has blow all over the yard and its a nightmare to sweep up :unsure:

When I went back to the yard I found that all the nice banks I had made in the stable were flat and there was a massive pile of bedding in the centre of the stable :wacko: I have images of Milo walking in circles like dogs do before they lie down......strange horse!!

We're due snow here tomorrow night :mecry:

Glad Milo likes his new stable :laugh:

My aims for 2011 are to manage as many lessons I can afford to get our flatwork up to the next level, and I know with my new instructor we will get there it is just if I can find the cash :rolleyes:

My other aim is to get experience under out belt so we can finish the season cometing in ODEs at around 3ft, so in 2012 we can start to do some BE. I would have ideally liked to do a BE80T this year but the nearest I can find it a good 2.5hrs away and I don't want to travel that far. I did notice in the BE magazine this month it had a local venue as a qualifier in June for the BE80 championships, but on the BE website they apparently aren't holding a BE80 class :wacko: Have sent them an email to enquire but trying not to get my hopes up as probably a typo in the mag.

Aims for 2011 is to get my pest of a hip problem sorted out and be able to ride again. I have to have a steriod injection into the joint tomorrow, has to be done in theatre with xray guide to make sure it goes RIGHT INTO THE HIP JOINT! Arrrrrrgh! If I can ride again after this I will happily have it done whenever necessary, even twice a week! :biggrin:

If it doesn't help riding will be out of the question, the pain is just too much, it's like a red hot poker being rammed into the joint, ouch. At the moment I have a sort of sharer plus YO Sam who ride Wanda and I do the lunging. Sharer is a nervous novice and although Wanda does look after her she has no idea just how err, naughty Wanda can be and if she did throw a hissy fit the sharer would not ride her again! So what do I do then with a horse I adore but won't be able to ride so please cross all fingers and hooves for tomorrow!

I did a spring clean jobby on Banner yesterday, I clipped a bridle path through her huge mane, well head collar path really! :laugh: Brushed all her tail out, trimmed her amazing beard off and the long messy bits off her fetlocks, then did a good grooming with the bendy metal thingy, her coat is coming out like snow! Then gave a good spray with coat shine and groomed again which did help a bit with her yak coat. She did enjoy it and is so much more friendly, she's an odd, funny shaped little pony but I love her to bits. :biggrin:

Oh PW I am keeping everything crossed for you :flowers:

I had a nice lady come to see Loki today for share. She is interested and we have arranged for her to come back and have a lesson on Saturday. I feel really sad and upset at the thought of getting a sharer and I am not sure why :wacko: I've had a sharer before and it was good and to be honest financially I really do need some help, but I just get this horrible feeling at the pit of my stomach at the moment and don't know why. I have ignored quite a few email enquiries the last week, this lady phoned me so caught me unawares, so don't think its anything to do with this lady but more something inside me is telling me not to share :unsure:

Will be thinking of you PW :flowers:

Clare - I shared a horse like Milo (called Trooper) before I had Earl and his owner was in a similar position, and to be honest I think id be the same. She needed the financial contribution but was reluctant to let go. I would be the same as an owner im sure :rolleyes: See how she gets on in her lesson on Saturday, maybe once you se her ride it might seem better.

She did ride him yesterday, I think (famous last words :laugh: ) we've had a bit of a breakthrough with our schooling since my last lesson, he is now offering what we have been working so hard to achieve. When she rode him yesterday even though she wasn't asking for this way of working he was trying really hard to go in the "new" way which made me :mecry: :wub: I wouldn't want this spoilt by someone not realising how hard he is actually working even though they think they are just trotting around. The other thing he did that worried me was when she went back to his stable to pick her stuff up he ran to the back of his stable, again he can be nervous of new people so doesn't reflect on the lady, but made me a bit concerned. I know I am being overprotective :blush02:

I will think on it, I have had a good break from work so am not feeling knackered, probably after a few 5.30am starts I will feel differently :laugh:

Milo and I have just had our first proper falling out :mecry:

I purchased a cavesson for his lungeing recently to take the pressure off his mouth. When I lunged him in it the first time I noticed he was far more forward going and he kept breaking into trot but he was controllable and did a normal lungeing session. The second time I lunged him in it was in his lesson where he wouldnt listen to a word I was saying, took himself off in trot continually so then my instrcutor loose schooled him instead.

I lunged him this evening and as soon as I sent him out on a circle he started to trot. I asked him to come back to walk and he just carried on trotting. And trotting. And trotting. If I tried to get ahead of him he sped up, if I got closer to him he sped up. He trotted round for 10 mins (I was stood completely still in the middle) so eventually I had to resort to reeling him in like a fish. I walked him round in hand for a while and over his trotting poles just to calm him down a bit but even then when I started sending him back out on a circle he broke straight into trot.

We literally got nothing done because he would not listen to a word I was saying. Normally he's perfectly obedient in all his transistions. 'Stand' was non existent today.

Im wondering if switching to a cavesson after lungeing with a bridle is encouraging him forward to much? Maybe without that contact directly on his mouth he feels like he doesnt have to listen at all? Also im wondering if hes remembered that the last time he played up he was allowed to bomb round like a lunatic instead.

What should I do? Should I try again tomorrow or should I leave it and just ride for a few days instead?

:mecry:

I have lunge days like this with Loki when he gets a bee in his bonnet about something :rolleyes: I normally just let him get it out of his system and if it goes on too long (or I am getting too dizzy!) I very quietly and with submissive body posture bring the circle in, as its much harder work for them, he then on his own accord slows down eventually as he is having to work, then I will gradually let him back out depending on his behaviour :laugh:

I would try and continue with the cavasson just go out with the mindset of got all the time in the world, be very patient and possible start on a v small circle so he can't get his own way from the off, but you may find today he is back to himself :flowers:

I rode him this morning - he was back to his usual self, in fact it was a good schooling session - hardly any pulling or rushing and we managed to actually trot over trot poles :laugh:

I will try and lunge again tomorrow morning and stick him back in a bridle just to see what happens. I honestly think its the cavesson sending him too much forwards. We shall see :P