UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Hall Place do a lot of things don't they, never been but might do some of their xc this year.

Hope the lunging went well and the dentist wasn't too horrible Gooster :flowers:

Unfortuantly there isn't anyone at the yard to help me with the flatwork, my instructor is so fab and really gets results from us each lesson but fate seems to make it hard to string a few lessons together but I know once we do there is really going to be a huge improvement, as I have had six lessons over five months and feel so much more clued up, so I am determinded to get a run together and really progress, but want to go out and jump too :mecry: I need a lottery win :laugh:

Lunging went well, he was really good. He got quite rushy with his trot at times, but came back to walk easily. Got a lesson this afternoon, am hoping he'll be as good as last time!

It's a shame you haven't got anyone to help you with flatwork at your yard Claire. Have you thought about doing interdressage? The feedback they give is amazing and gives you lots of stuff to work on. I have only done one test with them, but got loads of positive stuff to work on with monster boy and my own riding too. Unfortunately you need a proper sized school, which I don't have at my farm, but I could hack to a local one where we do our dressage in the summer and try it out again.

:biggrin:

I love my pony!! He was so good today. He was forward going pretty much straight away, and didn't have a hissy fit when a tractor went past with a bale of haylage on its prong!! He just looked at it and then went back to the circle we were on! Also his mates were in the field next to the menage and he wasn't bothered! He tried so hard to please that when I asked him for extended trot, he went into canter. I really do think the turnout he is getting and feeding hay instead of haylage is really helping him to be less fizzy. He's also a lot more free in his shoulders, which I think is because he's getting to go in the field every day and stretch his legs.

Aww good boy Blue :wub: So pleased he is settling down again, and you've proved moving him was the best thing for you both :flowers:

We've had no outings this weekend and was enjoying a lovely hack yesterday until we came across two women with a pack of dogs, the first time I was just walking along the track and one of the dogs came at us and was barking and running around us, the owner was just shouting at him totally ineffectively :rolleyes:

The forest isn't that large so further on I decided to try and avoid meeting them along the narrow track so went down the big straight track as I could see all the way along and it was clear, so we had a little canter all was going fine and the next thing I knew Loki shot off and then I could see this dog at his side barking, bless Loki he came back to me within a few strides and kind of accepted the dog was there, then in hedge these two women were sitting having a chat :wacko: this caused Loki to shoot sideways and go again, still with the dog chasing us. He was an incredibly good boy and I was very lucky he was, I wish I had gone back and had a "chat" with this lady, but to be honest I didn't want to risk Loki with the dog and was a bit shook up, but grrrr people like that shouldn't have dogs and if I see her again and its off lead I will be having words :mad: Rant over :D

Hacked out again this morning and he was okay got a bit nervous going past the garden with the barking dogs that he doesn't normally worry about but we did meet some onlead dogs and he was fine thankfully.

I have relented and booked on a jumpcross clinic in a few weeks :laugh: and I *may* get a chance to go on a Mary King clinic in June :elefant:

Aww good boy Blue :wub: So pleased he is settling down again, and you've proved moving him was the best thing for you both :flowers:

We've had no outings this weekend and was enjoying a lovely hack yesterday until we came across two women with a pack of dogs, the first time I was just walking along the track and one of the dogs came at us and was barking and running around us, the owner was just shouting at him totally ineffectively :rolleyes:

The forest isn't that large so further on I decided to try and avoid meeting them along the narrow track so went down the big straight track as I could see all the way along and it was clear, so we had a little canter all was going fine and the next thing I knew Loki shot off and then I could see this dog at his side barking, bless Loki he came back to me within a few strides and kind of accepted the dog was there, then in hedge these two women were sitting having a chat :wacko: this caused Loki to shoot sideways and go again, still with the dog chasing us. He was an incredibly good boy and I was very lucky he was, I wish I had gone back and had a "chat" with this lady, but to be honest I didn't want to risk Loki with the dog and was a bit shook up, but grrrr people like that shouldn't have dogs and if I see her again and its off lead I will be having words :mad: Rant over :D

Hacked out again this morning and he was okay got a bit nervous going past the garden with the barking dogs that he doesn't normally worry about but we did meet some onlead dogs and he was fine thankfully.

I have relented and booked on a jumpcross clinic in a few weeks :laugh: and I *may* get a chance to go on a Mary King clinic in June :elefant:

I always try to get the horse to stand and face the dog.... I did a lot of riding of young stock in Ireland where dogs tend to be allowed to roam...... a horse facing down a dog normally makes the dog (and owner) think twice......

Since my last post I have various bit of news...

I'll start with the good shall I? :laugh:

Good news is that Milo has been a star in his lessons. He's now actually working in a true outline and has become so much lighter in my hands. We've been working really hard on getting a nice steady rhythm over trot poles and last week in my lesson I managed 5 repetitions of the trot poles on each rein in a steady trot and in an outline, without any rushing. As I feel 100% more in control now hes working properly my instructor start doing a small jumping grid with us at the end of our lesson on Saturday. I expected him to go bombing over it but I think the work with the trot poles has deinfately paid off because he was so well behaved.

The bad news is that last week I got a call from my YO to say that Milo had broken out of his field and was galavanting round in the field next door, the field which hasnt had any horses on for 6 months, and he trashed the lot galloping around. I fixed the fence then came down the next morning to find him in the other field again. I fixed the fencing again and electric taped it and he still got out, this time he had leant on the post and rail fencing and snapped a whole bar of it. Queue more electric fencing and fence repairing and the following day he had knocked down the top pole off one rail and was jumping over the bottom rail. By this point I had to admit defeat so after much deliberation we have made an early move into our spring field. Naughty cob!!!

Other news is that Milo's field mate is leaving at the weekend. His owner is going away travelling for 6 weeks in the next few months and so is moving him to somewhere with part livery (Clare she's going to Wheatlands - thats where they do XC isnt it?). So Milo may be friend-less for a while until we get a new livery. Also it looks like I will almost certainly be doing a couple of inhand shows in April. Theres one on the 9th where I could do the inhand coloured class. I think i'll start with that and see how I get on!

Good boy Milo!!

Am sure he will get a new friend soon!

Am planning to do a dressage with Blue on Easter Sunday, they will only let you do walk/trot in your first season of dressage, so am going to ask if I can do the intro test NFC, and the prelim test competitively.

I always try to get the horse to stand and face the dog.... I did a lot of riding of young stock in Ireland where dogs tend to be allowed to roam...... a horse facing down a dog normally makes the dog (and owner) think twice......

I will remember that for next time, unfortuantly meeting out of control dogs is a regular occurance in the forest, though not normally as bad as this one thankfully :flowers:

Norty Milo making his own mind up about where he grazes. May be he is telling you its now offically spring :laugh: Yes Wheatlands is good for all jumping, I go when I can and have a lesson with Nicola. They have a nice selection of smaller xc jumps and loads of scary showjumps :biggrin:

Very excited just booked ourselves on the first xc clinic of the year (hmmm dressage what dressage :laugh:) :bigsmiley:

I've just seen on another forum that one member is in the middle of the hurricane in Austrialia, she has three horses in her stables and it is unlikely that they will survive. She has had to say goodbye to them and leave them where they are whilst she and her family take cover, just how bloody heartbreaking sad is that. I'm not an emtional person but it really upset me and there is always the possibility she will not survive either, it's just awful! :mecry:

Glad the lady has come through the worst of the storms ok. Keeping everything crossed for her horses.

It has been really windy here today, got home from work and was practically blown down the hill from the station. I was going to lunge blue again tonight, but it was that windy and rainy, I knew it wouldn't work. So I just did my jobs and came home. I even had to close the window in his stable as it was so windy!! Don't think Blue was too impressed at being tied up outside whilst I mucked him out though - even with his heavyweight combo rug on!!

Glad the lady and her horses have come through the storm okay so far :GroupHug:

Bleugh horrible and windy this morning, have a lesson tomorrow so hope its a bit better by then, and I hope he comes in with all shoes on tonight as they are bound to prat around today :rolleyes: