UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

You could try putting the bit on the cavesson but not attatching the lunge line to it, or put the lunge bridle on over the top, it just might make him think it's being used.

What a non event my injection was, I got to see it on the xray but no pain at all, the leg went a bit dead for a while but soon recovered. I was expecting something much more dramatic, I got there at 11am and was home for 2pm, amazing!

Wanda's shopping arrived from Robinsons this morning, she bought an England fleece, at £8 I don't care what's on it, it was cheap! :biggrin: Also a blue flowery stable rug and tucked in the bottom of the box was Banner's pink flowery stable rug at a dinky 3'9", it's well cute. That brings Wanda's rug total to 62, she has 19 fleeces!!!! Banner already has 5 rugs and Lilli 4, it's not just rugs either, Wanda has countless saddlecloths, oodles of various types of boots and more headcollars than Derby House. She has 5 bridles, Banner and Lilli have two each plus even more headcollars. I think I have a problem!

I'd better not mention dog rugs! :biggrin:

62 RUGS?! How do you pick which ones to use?!

I guess im only just starting out with Milo but he's only got 5 rugs so far - 2 of which were Earls!! 1 fly rug, 1 lightweight turnout, 1 medium turnout, 1 heavyweight turnout and 1 stable rug - keeping it simple :laugh: Although I did notice today that he was way way way too warm in his stable rug which I think has a 250g filling so may have to look for another which is less weighty.

I use a Cavesson with a bridle without a noseband so he still has a bit. Im going to experiment and lunge him in a bridle again and then in a Cavesson to see if it I can blame it on the equipment or whether it was him having a mad 5 mins :rolleyes:

Aww, hope Milo is back behaving himself again!!

Blue has pulled a shoe off today :angry: got a lesson on Sunday too!!

I think mum is trying to make Blue neurotic about his rugs. The other day she was taking his rug off and he somehow stood on it and spooked himself, then last night she forgot to undo the leg straps and tried to pull it off. Again cue massive hissy fit by Blue and mum panicking!! He was ok tonight though, just going to have to be really careful to not spook him again.

Hope Blue managed to get his shoe back on in time for his lesson tomorrow :flowers:

Gutted that my lesson tomorrow has been cancelled as my trainer is very poorly with the flu poor thing, its scary the amount of people properly poorly with flu at the moment. My brother has a temp in the 40s and is seeing monkeys in trees :wacko: He will have to go into hospital if he doesn't start to improve soon.

Potential sharer came and had a lesson today, she is great and remembered all the things I mentioned last week about tacking up. I just don't feel comfortable with sharing him, in the last few weeks we seem to have turned a corner with his flat work and feel we can actually overcome the things that have been holding us back the last few years, I kind of feel this year is our year to see what we can do, and I want to be able to put 100% into him. Does that sound silly as I am not exactly training for the olympics :unsure:

Have left it that she will come back next weekend for another lesson, which will give me a few days to make my mind up, I am very conscious that she would be giving up another horse to share Loki so can't really do a temp trial or change my mind into the share.

I know what you mean about being reluctant to share Loki. When I was on my last farm, a lot of people suggested I share Blue with someone with more time and confidence so that he could get turned out and ridden more regularly. I just didn't like the idea as I love going to the farm and seeing him, even if he doesn't get ridden every day. That was why I we ended up moving, so the turnout problem was solved!!

Not managed to get his shoe put on. Have texted farrier and had no reply :rolleyes: He is a brilliant farrier but his communication skills let him down somewhat. It wasn't too bad on my last farm as he did a lot of horses on there, and was there most weeks, but he doesn't do anyone on my new farm, so it's a bit of a pain!! The surface in the school

Is quite soft though so am hoping he'll be ok!!

Blue also has a manky eye at the moment, no idea what he's done to it!!

Well we had our lesson, and he was really good!! I was really surprised with him as he hasn't been in the menage properly before, and hasn't done anything for about 6 weeks, He didn't appear tense or stiff. Claire commented on how much more free his walk is, which I am putting down to him getting to play in the field!!

Well I lunged him in a bridle and he was fine :unsure: I shall continue my investigation!

Milo seems really stiff at the moment, although I do his carrot stretches every day hes very reluctant to flex his head properly and if you try he gets quite upset so have booked my amazing chiro to come out and see him next monday. Ive got the vet coming at the beginning of feb for his jabs etc so its going to be an expensive month :rolleyes:

Sounds like the move has really paid off for you and Blue, just in time for spring :flowers:

Poor Milo, hope the chiropractor can sort him out, who do you use?

I had a heart to heart with my OH at the weekend and we have decided not to look for a sharer for Loki and try and manage as we are, I called the lady last night and she was very understanding and said if he was her horse she wouldn't want to share him either, and to keep her number in case I change my mind in the future. Feel like a weight off my shoulders :biggrin:

Hes really good and really honest - he charges £40 for the first visit and £20 every time after that.

In my lesson on Saturday my instructor said I need to do some non stirrup work - my idea of hell - im like a bouncing beach ball :laugh: So ive been doing legs up, out, down this evening and I cant do it :mecry: Im so stiff and im only in my early twenties lol. Maybe I need to see the chiro too? :laugh:

I did some good work with Milo this evening, did some long stretchy trot work (hes starting to lower his head now wahoo), did some work on actually collecting his canter and I even got brave enough to do a jump :ohmy: I was pleased because he didnt just bomb over it like he has done previously, he stayed collected until I told him him to go. Hoorah.

Good boy Milo!

Can understand you totally Clare, it took me ages even to accept my niece riding Wanda and only becuse I'm having problems riding did I go down the temporary sharer route. Having said that my sharer has bought a horse subject to vetting and having had her last potential purchase flag up problems on vetting she is understandably nervous about it. Plus after riding Wanda yesterday she is a bit of a wreck as Wanda saw fit to do a massive bugger off in the arena, doing two laps at speed! :ohmy: Apparently the sharer screamed and tipped up her neck which of course did not help at all, thankfully Sam was there and brought Wanda back to trot on voice command with Wanda grinning and bouncing. She has explained to the sharer that Wanda never does that with total novices so sharer must be improving! :biggrin: I don't know if she was really convinced though!

:laugh: clever response from Sam, norty Wanda :wub:

I need to work without stirrups and got quite ok with it over Christmas but in the dark under floodlights is never a safe option so not doing as much now :laugh: I do kick them out when hacking if he is in a sensible mood, in walk I actually find it much nicer without than with, but would never be brave enough to do anything quicker without them out hacking as it would be certain fall off :laugh:

I keep meaning to try pilates but haven't been brave enough yet :rolleyes:

Edited by Clare