UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Found out today that the horse that was colicing last night went to the bridge in the middle of the night. Her owner is devastated :mecry:

In slightly better news, had another positive lesson on Blue today. He initially was a bit difficult as all his friends were in the field next to the school. However he settled down well and we rode the straightest lines we have ever done and he did some lovely leg yield. We then did a mock dressage test after which he thought he had done, so when I asked him to work again he had a strop! He started to trot around with his head in the air and ears back. I brought him back into walk and onto a small circle, then he realised he hadn't finished, and he started work again. He then did some lovely trot work to finish with.

Poor horsey :mecry: :GroupHug:

We made it to jumping.

I went in twice - the first time I did jumps 1-4 and then stopped and then did jumps 5-8 and the stopped. The second time I linked them all together, he ran out at number 7 and knocked number 8. He was speedy but alot more controllable than I expected.

Heres the video of the second attempt, feel free to have a chuckle:

In the afternoon my instructor came over and gave him a full clip and a hog, and ive had a bit of a bomb shell.

HE'S A SKEWBALD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

His patches are actually a lovely chocolate colour. With his new skinny legs, hogged mane and brown patches he looks like a completely different horse. I keep looking at him and thinking that someone has stolen Milo and replaced him with this new thing :laugh:

Milos jumping video looks fun and hes looking very smart too :wub:

Same for you Clare and Loki :wub:

Poor colicky horse and owner :mecry: and PW poorly yard horse too :GroupHug:

Gooster I can understand what you're saying about jumping as I have decided for the foreseeable future I dont want to jump again, I have done in the past but since getting back into riding I just dont seem to have the urge (or maybe im just not brave enough) :rolleyes: Either way im enjoying the flatwork.

Now going for lessons twice per week and im gonna enquire tomorrow about the cost of 3 lessons per week as its bloody addictive :wub:

Riding a lovely chestnut mare called Lulu and a grey gelding called Trooper (he is yard owners now teenage event horse) and I love him :wub:

I have managed to figure out my diagonals thankfully but hey theres always something that ain't right and im now sometimes struggling to keep my stirrups or my feet slide right through stirrups when riding Lulu (not on Trooper) which is frustrating.

Treating myself to new long riding boots and breeches so heading to the saddlery hopefully next week.

Poor horse and owner :mecry:

Go Milo :biggrin: He looks great and very much enjoying himself :laugh: Nice course very well spaced and inviting.

Would love to see pics of Lulu and Trooper if you get chance to take your camera with you :flowers: I have a very soft spot for greys :wub:

Sounds like the riding bug is biting you again, do you think in the future you might look at sharing a horse? Shopping in tack shops is the only shopping I like, I wish I could be as dedicated to shopping in Tescos :laugh:

I agree in the video he doesnt look too strong but I think if at any point during that somebody had told me to come back to walk it wouldve taken me half the field to regain any control :rolleyes:

He looks totally different with his new hair, its very very odd. I went down to the field to collect my short, fat hairy cob and found a tall, sleek, long legged thing staring back at me :laugh: It doesnt look him him anymore, he literally looks like a different horse. I think its going to take a while of getting used to it! Will try and get a photo tomorrow, my phone was playing up today and refusing to take a photo:(

Think my instructor was in an evil mood today, she made me do the whole lesson with no stirrups :ohmy: On the plus side contary to what I thought I can canter without stirrups and not fall off :laugh:

But there was a slightly interesting moment here

Clare I would love to share, not possible at the minute but you never know in the future.

Rode Lulu again yesterday and on a different horse today, dapple grey called Boysie, he was lovely too. Must try to get piccies and let you all see who im talking about.

And Milo you are looking very smart :wub:

You definitely look very balanced Clare with or without stirrups, funny I lost both mine yesterday on Lulu when cantering, and without them felt better than with them :wacko: not that im saying i'd like a whole lesson like that :laugh:

Think my instructor was in an evil mood today, she made me do the whole lesson with no stirrups :ohmy: On the plus side contary to what I thought I can canter without stirrups and not fall off :laugh:

But there was a slightly interesting moment here

Think Oooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuch for tomorrow.!!!! Reckon your instructor must be a relative of the one I used to have.

Ooh brave! I'd not trust blue or myself to ride without stirrups!

Had a lesson today and he had a few spooks, but we still had a little canter, but as I wasn't expecting him to canter and I was a bit tense, I got cramp in my inside leg and had to bring him back to walk pretty quickly :rolleyes:

After my lesson I put him in the field naked and he rolled, spent ages brushing him and making him smart again!

Grrrr stress!! Blue has been eating his bed big style! They delivered his straw on Friday and he ate about a quarter of the bale :angry: I put 3 pages of straw last night and today he had hardly any bed left. Am seriously considering changing his bed, but he goes out in 6 weeks, so am not sure whether to keep him on straw till he goes out and then start off on a different bedding type when he comes in for the winter :unsure:

Also his eye has gone quite puffy again, but he won't let me anywhere near it and I know if I call the vet again I'll get more drops again and we really struggled getting the drops in last time. Plus it cost me £100 and it didn't help at all.