UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

That poor lady :(

I have nothing exciting to report. Milo has been a s*** this week :laugh:

I dont know whats gotten into him - having had him going so nicely for a last few weeks hes turned into rocket horse again. Yesterday we didnt even get out of walk because every time I popped him into trot he was trying to tank off. Today we got into trot but I called it a day after 20 mins because he was getting increasingly more rushy. I guess thats horses for you, like to keep you on your toes!!

I dont expect we'll be doing anything useful in my lesson tomorrow if hes going to continue like this :(

Aww, milo just doesn't want you getting complacent, that's all!! He likes to keep you on your toes.

Didn't manage to do anything with Blue tonight either, as it was still blowing a massive gale (although not raining as much!), and at the moment I don't think it is worth pushing him or me to work when the conditions are as bad as they have been the last few days.

Also found out today that 3 local ish yards were broken into last night, loads of stuff stolen and horses had plaits put in their manes. I don't leave my tack at the farm anyway, but he does have a couple of rugs in his stable. Am really worried now that someone might steal him :unsure:

I think spring must be in the air, Loki is really spooky at the moment and others on the yard are full of themnselves too :rolleyes: I bet under your instuctors gaze he is an angel :biggrin:

Schooling was a disaster tonight windy and under the lights thankfully I didn't go in with high expectations :laugh:

Its horrible when you know thieves are in the area :GroupHug:

Had a really good lesson today, felt like we have made a bit of an improvement and my instuctor said she has never seen him trot or canter so well from the start :biggrin:

Some pics

Snapshot105-02-201119-47.png

Snapshot105-02-201119-41.png

Snapshot205-02-201119-59.png

Ooh looking very nice!!

Just had a lesson on Blue. I was debating all morning whether to cancel it as it is really windy here and it keeps raining on and off really heavily. Anyway, I told myself that I need to be able to ride in most weathers as if I am doing a dressage and it is windy and rainy, we need to cope. Anyway, I am so glad I did! He was so good, he took a while to warm up, but was pretty non spooky, and the spooks he did had were just looks and snorts really (compared to the leap in the air sideways spook he used to do!!). Again he kept trying to go into canter when I was asking more from his trot, he also remembered that after a serpentine he sometimes canters, so kept trying to canter after the serpentines that we did, but I managed to maintain a steady trot once I cottoned on to what he was doing!!

Milo wasnt too bad in his lesson but still appalling compared to how he has been the last few weeks. My instructor thinks like you say 'spring is is the air' and hes eating alot more grass now than he was 2 weeks ago so probably got a lot more energy. She suggested I put him on a calmer for the spring so he doesnt go too nuts - especially if I want to do a sponsred ride !! :wacko: Anyone tried/used any good calmers?

She ended up getting on him and riding him for 20 mins after my lesson. Bearing in mind in my opinion he was being a prat she said that compared to when she first got on him 3 months ago theres been a transformation. I said she shouldve got on him 2 weeks ago when he was being an angel :laugh: She thinks that hes a real worryer and just anticipates everything which is why he gets too rushy/leany. I also need to keep working on his bend because he rushes round corners due to lack of balance but she said if you put him on a circle he corrects himself so need to keep working at that.

Shes just put her horse on full loan and needs something to ride in the run up to her bhs riding exam so if she wants i'll offer her Milo so he can get some good schooling in :wink:

I used to give blue Epsom salts, he used to get them 3 days and then have 4 days off from it, as it can damage the liver if given full time. Epsom salts is basically magnesium which is the main ingredient of most calmers.

Since moving Blue and feeding him hay and lo cal, and giving him more turnout, he hasn't needed any calmers at all.

You can get Epsom salts for about 7 quid from the feed shops, whereas NAF magic is about 30 quid!!

Ive started him on Magnitude so will see how we get on. He was much better behaved schooling yesterday, but that might be because hes now got new field mate to keep him company so might be a bit more chilled out.

Just had the vet out for jabs/teeth etc. He had to be sedated to have his teeth done :rolleyes: But as he was snoozing I decided to get him Microchipped :wink:

Aww poor milo!!

I have finally given in and called the vet for Blue's eye. It doesn't seem to be weeping as much, but is still quite puffy and red in the corner. Vet should be with me in a couple of hours. Will be a bit frustrated if they give me something I could have prescribed though :rolleyes:

Vet has been, couldn't see anything in there, so she has given me some danilon (as the little angel won't touch bute), and some drops to use for a week.

The weather here has been gorgeous today and a couple of other liveries were hacking out after the vet had gone. I had a hair appointment at 3, but figured it was far too nice to spend the afternoon in the hairdressers, so I cancelled my appointment and went for a ride.

When we got back my face was :biggrin: as

1) he went lead at a few points - previous attempts at that would have lead to feet planting and rearing

2) he went down some scary steps and past scary diggers in the country park

3) we had a small canter and he was very good (but then wanted to canter all the time :rolleyes: )

4) on the way back we had to go through very big deep puddles which again would previously have had him trying to rear and spin and run off the other way, but he didn't even look at the puddles and went through them no bother!!

He was absolutely amazing today, am so proud of him!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hows everyone getting on? Had no posts for ages!

All fine here, Milo gone back to being in good boy mode. I took him out for nice relaxing hack today, and it was nice and quiet because it looked like it was going to rain :laugh: I was really pleased because once he was warmed up he kept a beautiful contact and outline all the way home, he feels stunnng when he works like that, it feels wonderful. No rushing/pulling, just totally in my hands. Wonderful.

I got a schedule from the tack shop today for some showjumping that they do across the road from us most weekends from March - September. They do Clear Round for £3 a go so think I may venture over there and have a pop round. Also, depending on transport which I can hopefully get, looking to do a sponsored ride in the Easter Holidays. Not heard back from my friend about doing any showing...

Really pleased you had such a fab hack Gooster :biggrin:

Glad Milo is back to being a good boy :flowers:

Have you seen this fun ride in July? Fun ride

I jumped today first time since November so was expecting an exciting time but he was fab, keen but I did have some control. I actually pushed myself out of my comfort zone and set the end jump out of the grid at 3ft (nothing to some I know but I have a thing about anything over 2.ft something :rolleyes: )

I was so pleased he jumped nicely and carefully for him, got home all excited to see the video and watching it back he has made it look like I am jumping 2ft :laugh: Here you go

Please ignore my position I know its reverted back to really bad, but once the fences go up my mind goes into panic and I forget to sort myself out :rolleyes: