UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Hes stunning Mist :wub:

He is a babe! He is much more handsome and chilled now, bless him - although he has his Lusitano moments! Have you still got your Luso boy?

Faro and his Mini-Me

faro028.jpg

I do need some more photos of him and fully intended to take some today but the weather is just not conducive and a photo of a mud-coloured horse in a rug will not do his image any favours!

hi everyone, just about caught up - off work with the flu/cold bug thingy so have the time to sit with the laptop and read about everyones exploits.

Still riding away up here in freezing Scotland, still helping with the TB mare but riding out a Murakoz mare - basically looks like a highland, behaves like a highland and rides like a highland but is from Hungary - big fat grey thing that can move when she wants to :laugh:

Having fun but not as much time for my Appy boys as I would like, my boss up there is building a big barn so distracted a bit at the moment, probably gonna have stacks to do in the spring but its over an hours drive away now so I cant just potter up for a ride and then come back.

Anyway, also on the hunt for a Clydesdale mare, gelding considered if its a good one, so if anyone knows someone who has a nice Clydesdale, broken to the saddle ideally. Its for a friend but I will be riding it so looking forward to that as they are lovely horses :wub: :wub:

Aww Faro is lovely :wub:

Good luck with the clydesdale search, noticed this one on horsemart but its a gelding and not sure he is a great clydie Advert

I took Loki to a jumping clinic yesterday and he was a really good boy :wub: It was fun as the exercise was getting the correct leg on landing over a fence, the rules were if you landed on the incorrect leg you had to stop and weren't allowed to continue the course, a lot of us jumped the first few fences may times :rolleyes: :laugh: I was shouted at lots for my jumping position, it was very hard to remember not to overfold and concerntrate on asking for the correct lead on landing.

I had to laugh, I was told there would be no sympathy if I fell off if I continued to overfold :laugh:

Here are some pics

flat2.JPG

flat1.JPG

Jump.JPG

Loki looks absolutely fabulous Clare, you've done really well by him :wub:

I love Clydesdales so will await pics crazyspaniels :wink:

All is not well here anymore and I feel bad. Will post separately in a bit but since starting new job my Dad has been doing the field and feeding them in the week. My Dad is not really horsey so I can't have expected him to notice but I went round this morning and realised that Duke has mud fever on both his white feet. He has NEVER had mud fever before and I've never had a horse who has so feel like a fool! Will have to phone vet as don't have my own knowledge to rely on, hence separate thread....

This year he's had that ear problem, then seedy toe and now mud fever, none of which he has ever had before. I suppose him being out unshod won't have helped as he does have low heels. Guess he'll have to come overnight. Not going to be easy treating his back leg - he's not one to worry about kicking out at his Mom :rolleyes: :(

Loki looks fab Clare!!!

I think it is a bad year for all things mud fever reds, as the summer was so bloody wet!!

I thought that Blue had mud fever that I had missed, but it turns out he just has a bloody great big slice on his heel :( The joys of barbed wire fencing :rolleyes:

I thought that Blue had mud fever that I had missed, but it turns out he just has a bloody great big slice on his heel :( The joys of barbed wire fencing :rolleyes:

Funny enough that's exactly what I thought Duke had done at first - and yup my first thoughts were wire! That's also reminded me about the perils of him being shod, he was always pulling his shoes off by sticking his feet through the sheep netting, I hate wire full stop :(

Hope it's not in too much of an awkward place for healing (is there anywhere on their heel that isn't awkward Lindsey you plonk!) :GroupHug:

It is in a nightmare place for healing - really rubbish at describing horse anatomy, but it's just above the bulb in the recessed bit there (just looked at a picture of a horse foot for reference!!). I just keep spraying savlon wound wash on it every day, to make sure it doesn't get infected. He's not lame on it, so am still doing light work with him to keep him fit.

YAY - rock solid frozen ground - Dukey can be out for the day :biggrin:

Vet came back this morning said he thought it was 80% better, as he thinks there is some underlying cause as opposed to the conditions (which aren't that muddy but constantly wet lately to be fair) he doesn't expect him to get a recurrence once completely healed up this time around. Not that confident myself so shall be bringing him in for a bit when it's wet, even if just a few hours a day, so there's chance to dry off and apply powder or a barrier cream. Vet suggested Vaseline as long as it's washed off every day. I was even thinking of leaving him out overnight and bringing in for most of the day time until we're back in the allegedly drier seasons. Save me mucking out before work...

Duke has been celebrating with lots of gallop laps round the field and desperately trying to stuff whatever grass he can find whilst Squeak is sensibly standing eating the haylage out of the shelter :laugh:

PS. Don't think I could manage Pig Oil without gagging at the thought though will keep an eye out for it.

Edited by reds

PS. Don't think I could manage Pig Oil without gagging at the thought though will keep an eye out for it.

It's not made from pigs, it gets its name from being good at keeping pigs skin supple. I think it's a derivative of paraffin.

I'm glad Duke's legs are a bit better.

Don't worry - it has nothing to do with pigs! :laugh: It is like baby oil. Think it is some sort of by-product from the petro-chemical industry or the like.

(Sorry - just seen that Jules had already said this :rolleyes: !)

Glad Duke is on the mend - sorry that Blue is suffering a bit at the mo too :GroupHug:

Just thought I would post a few snaps of Rolo's first ever competition!! :laugh:

That may be over-egging the pudding slightly!

We had our first ever fun day at the yard on Saturday part of which was handy pony - I had said I would do it with Rolo, but only in hand.

Unfortunatley my back went lon Saturday morning, so we could only go at a snail's pace, but I was so proud of him - he balked at nothing, and was the only one to not react to the tarp. He was the greenest and the youngest, but my boy did well!

We came last, but who cares!! (He got a consolation rosette!)

Starting off (forgive the teacosy hat - it was perishing!)

2008_1227_143614AA.jpg

Bending:

2008_1227_143648AA.jpg

Taking the tarp in our stride:

2008_1227_143724AA.jpg

Emerging from the labyrinth:

2008_1227_143751AA.jpg

He had his fleece on as it was soooo cold!

Edited by Bradders

Well I think Rolo should have won - you were robbed! He looks so calm :wub: :wub: and you and the tea cosy look a zillion times better than I do at the stables (shan't mention how I looked when the vet came this morning whilst I was mucking out instead of the afternoon as expected :blush02: ).

Had you practised the tarpaulin or did he just do it?! :wub:

What a good boy Rolo is :wub: :wub:

Me and my cousin have spent the morning in the school filming for interdressage today. We both got into show kit, and everyone on the yard were asking where we were going. Will have to try and upload my video onto you tube for you guys to see it (as long as I'm happy that there are no arse shots!!)