UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Glad that Easta is doing OK.

Sounds like Newt is coming along very nicely :)

Last weekend was also Rolo's 2nd anniversary :) Can't believe I have had him 2 years, but any excuse to post 2 then and now pics! :)

Then:

Roloadvert1.jpg

Now:

2008_0819_173529AA_edited.jpg

Can't remember if I posted this one at the time - he had been doing trotting poles when he decided to pop one!! :laugh:

Pic is terrible quality as I was videoing it - so this is a still taken of the TV :rolleyes:

How Mel stayed on I will never know. Makes me laugh every time I see it!

Apologies if I have posted before :)

2008_0827_204154AA_edited.jpg

Edited by Bradders

Heehee I love that jumping pic of Rolo :wub: :biggrin: Oh and I think you made a mistake that is not the same horse in the first and second picture :D

Fantastic about the hacking, so pleased things are progressing for you both :flowers:

I can't believe it is two years already, happy anniversary :comic19: (I have so been wanting to use that smilie :laugh: )

Loki is quite poorly with his mouth, he has only been managing to eat about half a section of hay at night, and isn't grazing too well either, he has lost so much condition :( only good thing is that he manages to eat his hard feed.

Tomorrow the vet, xray unit and dentist are out so keeping everything crossed it is just a simple sore tooth somewhere that she will find now that he will be sedated :unsure:

So sorry to hear about Nemo :GroupHug:

:GroupHug: for Loki and other poorly horses

I'm looking after my friends horse for awhile now. Lesley, my friend fell out of bed one night and fractured her back. Shes been operated on in southampton but i've got Bertha her mare for several weeks yet. Typical that Bertha has had a massive hoof abcess but is now sound thankfully, no health problems for years with her owner then a week with me and she was lame!!

Oh poor lady, wishing her a speedy recovery :flowers: Glad to hear Bertha is okay now :)

Loki had his teeth checked thoroughly and xrayed yesterday, there is one tooth that looks abnormal both in the tooth and root, but the vet said "most" horses would just get on with it, that is just so not Loki :laugh: :rolleyes:

He is on some bute to see if that encourages him to eat, it does seem like it may be a mind thing, as when he grinds he looks fine, but they acknowledged that his reactiion to food was not normal. Given his history they have also given him a course of antibiotics in case something more is going on with that tooth.

Conclusion was yes a few things showed up but shouldn't really be enough to stop him wanting to eat, but given that we know he is incredibly sensitive it may just have impacted him more than is the norm. He ate up last night better than he has the last few weeks :)

Good news is that it doesn't effect him being ridden, and exercise may even increase his will to eat, so I can still do the Simon Battram clinic on Sunday :biggrin:

Hope Lesley is starting to recover ok :GroupHug:

Loki - what is he doing! :rolleyes: I did think it was strange that he could eat his hard feed but not his hay, you would expect it to be the other way around. It's definitely not just him not liking the hay? They can take a while to adapt to haylage if used to hay so that could explain him not eating that either :unsure: Hope he needs no more investigations, at least for a little while Mr Loki!

Prescription Charges :ohmy:

Vets today informed me that the monopolies commision ban on vets making prescription charges has come to an end and as a result they will now not only be charging for ALL prescriptions (£7.00 plus!!!!) BUT the prescription for the Bute will only last for 6 months at a time and I'll have to have the vet out each 6 months just to prescribe the same meds. they've been giving us at the same vets, and at the same dose, for at least the last 5 years! :mad: :mad: :mad: Nice little money earner there for them. What a load of c**p. Oh but they were very good and let me have this latest lot without a prescription so it will 'only' start from the next time I need some. Unbelievable - have been a client there now for 20 years :ohmy:

That is awful about the prescriptions, as if horses weren't expensive enough we don't need vets trying to make easy money from us :(

I really don't know what is going on with Loki, he downed his hay in a shot last night, but today was only picking at it when I left :rolleyes: I have tried three different types of hay and haylage, so if he can't find anything in that lot I don't think I can cater for him!

Was wondering about trying him on readigrass or something similar, does anyone feed it?

To add insult to injury he lost another shoe today, my friend has offered me £10 and a curlywurly for him, I am giving it serious consideration :unsure:

To add insult to injury he lost another shoe today, my friend has offered me £10 and a curlywurly for him, I am giving it serious consideration :unsure:

I'd make it two curly wurly's :laugh:

Sorry about the shoe :wacko:

I definitely can't see it being his teeth then Clare, he either can eat or he can't and he obviously can! He really wouldn't be able to eat hard feed properly if he had a genuine problem going on.

Duke very rarely finished his hay regularly, always leaving a fair amount or spilling it over the stable door or around his floor. Sometimes he'd eat it, sometimes not, he's a very fussy bugger. I just figured that if he was hungry enough then he would eat it so he obviously wasn't all that hungry! In the end and for some other reasons too (dust and finding decent quality hay mainly) I switched to haylage but it literally took him about 3 weeks before he started eating it. Honestly - he didn't touch it for 3 weeks so I just left him! I was on the verge of giving up and trying to find another type of hay that he 'might' like :rolleyes: when he gave in and started eating it. All fine since although he still won't eat it if he doesn't want to, I don't think it would make a difference what it was. Obviously they've been turned out now so not a problem but Duke still refuses to eat it unless there is a serious grass shortage going on and there really isn't anything better on offer (i.e. grass!). I did try readigrass and yes he was most happy with that thank you very much :sleep: but it was like chaff in how long it took them to eat it so really wasn't a substitute for proper roughage. And to feed it in the amount that hay/haylage would last them for would cost a small fortune!

They're not daft, if they need to eat it they will. I'd just bulk up his hard feed with alfalfa or something if you're worried he's not keeping condition. :GroupHug:

PS. It has to be Timothy haylage for Duke - none of the other types are acceptable :rolleyes:

Hello - I guess most of you on here will not remember me as I do not post on here very much so I thought an update was in order!

I have Faro - a rescue Iberian gelding who arrived in the UK in June this year. We have had a rollercoaster of a ride with regards his soundness, he had an acute attack of laminitis over a year ago and I have worked hard on re-establishing his feet with an equine podiatrist.

We are nearly back to soundness, he still has a subsolar abscess that I expect to rumble on for a while longer yet and he was very footy over hard ground today. It is going to be a long haul for my boy, but I do not, for one minute regret having him, he is an absolute darling.

Hello - I guess most of you on here will not remember me as I do not post on here very much so I thought an update was in order!

I have Faro - a rescue Iberian gelding who arrived in the UK in June this year. We have had a rollercoaster of a ride with regards his soundness, he had an acute attack of laminitis over a year ago and I have worked hard on re-establishing his feet with an equine podiatrist.

We are nearly back to soundness, he still has a subsolar abscess that I expect to rumble on for a while longer yet and he was very footy over hard ground today. It is going to be a long haul for my boy, but I do not, for one minute regret having him, he is an absolute darling.

:wavey: Hello Mist, long time no see. Can we have pics of your boy?

:wavey: Hello Mist! Where are the pictures then, he sounds lovely!

Clare, I'm with Reds on this one, it does sound as though he is just being fussy. I have to get tough with Wanda on occasions, she chucks the haylage out of the haybar and scatters it round her stable, picking out the bits she prefers. Now I just leave her to pick it up and eventually she does with much mumbling and grumbling!

Hi Mist :wavey: Def need pics of your boy :flowers:

I think you and Reds are right PW, I will get tough and just feed him less until he decides to get on with it. I have changed my livery today so it doesn't include hay or shavings, although it is probably just as expensive as he has to have haylage now (Timothy of course on Duke's recomendation :wink: ), at least I know there is nothing wrong with quality of what he is getting.

The Simon Battram clinic was cancelled today because the school was frozen this morning, such a shame but we are going to try again in January :rolleyes:

How's everyone doing?

All fine my end horse wise. I am getting very fit pushing heavy laden wheelbarrows through muddy gateways! Last year I back brakingly shovelled a whole load of tarmac hard core into the gateway between the fields. Conveniently they were doing road repairs on the lane so the farmer got a lorry full of it. It's worked really well but I could only cover the main bit in the middle (where the gate would hang if it was shut) so am now on extortionately expensive bags of gravel etc. from Tippers. Any suggestions gratefully received!! Have had the rubber grass mats there before which helped but there was still a good layer of mud on top. I keep thinking about sand but would that make you sink in even more?

I will get some new photos of my boy - realised he has not had any taken since the summer (when we had one!) He has turned out to be the most wondeful and perfect horse, and of course being a rescue makes him all the more special.

Here is one to be going on with..

Faro003.jpg

I will get some new photos of my boy - realised he has not had any taken since the summer (when we had one!) He has turned out to be the most wondeful and perfect horse, and of course being a rescue makes him all the more special.

Here is one to be going on with..

Faro003.jpg

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Hes stunning Mist :wub:

I've had an entertaining weekend. Went to a Horsemanship Demo on Saturday night and learnt a few more things which was interesting.

I took Easta out ride and lead with Blondie. Which proved interesting as Easta decided not to walk forward just as Blondi decided to leap and plunge and canter onthe spot. I thought I was going to be dragged off backwards! Norty ponies :rolleyes:

I then got back and spent about an hour teaching Blondie to do one rein stops and go right back to basics. I can ride Easta again next week so I expect that will prove entertaining.