UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Glad Baldrick is getting better.

Here's some piccies from today.

This is a little New Forest Colt who came to the yard about 6 weeks ago, straight from the Forest Sales - scared wasn't the word for him :( the yard owners 12 year old daughter and my friends 10 year old daughter have been doing a lot of work with him, and as you can see - he can now be turned out.

DSC01089.jpg

He also has a friend - a little Section C colt whose the same sort of age, only a LOT more friendly - as you can see, this was about the best shot I could get of him, as he just wanted to be in my face.....

DSC01088.jpg

I took my oldest son's gf with me, as she loves animals, but has never had the chance to get close to horses, and was a bit scared. Dear Bronnie, whose the mare I look after, took her under her wing and she got lots of cuddles, she turned Penny around from being a scaredy cat to starting to understand the way a horses mind works :)

DSC01093.jpg

For a birthday present from my boss, she is giving me a riding lesson on her young horse (who I have not ridden yet), with Simon Battram :) I am excited!

Ooh can't wait to hear how you get on, when is the lesson? A couple of girls from our yard went to a clinic with him a few weeks ago and thought he was great, and he is coming to WEC in December to do a clinic :biggrin:

Ickle NF colt is very cute :wub: what a lucky boy to end up in a lovely home :flowers:

Poor little dartmoor pony PW :mecry: :mad: at her owners.

Did you not get on with the CH reins? Funny you are not the first I have heard comment on the quality. I use the original flexi reins from time to time, can't decide whether they help or not :rolleyes: Was quite funny on Saturday hacking out first time in a while and had a nice brisk trot down the "canter" track, he took a hold and then I felt this boingy feeling on the reins and realised I had forgotten to take the things off :laugh:

Ooh can't wait to hear how you get on, when is the lesson? A couple of girls from our yard went to a clinic with him a few weeks ago and thought he was great, and he is coming to WEC in December to do a clinic :biggrin:

I don't know yet, but I am in no rush :laugh: I am so unfit on a horse these days :laugh: Thought it was a really nicely thought out present though :)

Clare, I felt the reins interfered with the contact too much especially if you are really asking for the horse to take the rein and go forward into it. Wandy is all too happy to find an excuse not to and they gave her the perfect opportunity! :biggrin:

Just for interest, I bought Wanda some new reins, Jeffries to match her bridle, they were £49.95 which I didn't think was horrendous. One of the liveries on the yard bought some new ones for a cross country clinic and she paid £10.20. The thought of riding cross country with that quality of leather fills me with horror, would anyone else use reins of that sort or am I being a tack snob! :biggrin:

My WoW saga continues, I tried a deep seat with VSD flaps which I thought I would love but really did not like them at all, also the deep seat made me feel really stuck in position. So now I know I want the shallow seat I already have, GP + 2 flaps and as far as panels go I haven't the foggiest. The new fitter is back tomorrow so will have to take her advice!

Another question, if you are buying a new saddle which in my humble opinion is mega bucks would you also expect to have to pay for the fitters's travel and a consultation fee? As it is at the moment it's £90 before I start with the saddle which I think is a tad excessive. :unsure:

Did you buy the saddle from the fitter that is charging call out?

I bought my Albion new last December, since then the saddlers have been out four times when I haven't been happy with it and have not charged me (and they are not local at all!), I have also taken the saddle to them to work on and again they have not charged.

When I was having some niggling doubts I called another saddler recommended to me, she was also a member of the master saddlers association and she would not come out as she said the saddler that had sold me the saddle had an (legal?) obligation to solve any problems for no charge for a twelve month period. If I had a issue with the original saddler (which I didn't really) then I was to contact the Master Saddlers Association and make a compliant, they would then send another saddle out to have a look at no charge.

If your original saddler was a memeber of the MSA then I would give them a call and see if you can get any help :flowers:

I certainly would not be happy paying a callout charge, especially that much :ohmy:

As for the cheapie reins, if they looked okay I would use them xc :D Mind you I went xc with cheapie and split stirrup leathers last month :blush02:

I *may* have bought a Rambo Duo turnout out rug over the weekend :ph34r_anim:

Little NF looks very sweet!

I have generally paid a call out for the intital consultation for a saddler, but this was then deducted from the price of a new saddle if purchased, but not a second hand one.

Mind you, I have had so many saddlers out and I think they all did something different!! :laugh:

I have some great news! Rolo has now been ridden several times in the XXXW treed saddle - had his back checked yesterday and it is perfect! First time ever! I am so chuffed!! I feel like a pea on a drum on it, but less so with the seat saver. :biggrin:

Sorry this is so brief - at work!

Oh Jen, I hope Nemo is ok!

Re the WoW, it's a new fitter we have now after becoming disillusioned with the orginal one. I'm sorted as far as having ordered the plus 2 flaps but am riding with a tabless panel without a stitch line which seems to suit Wanda a lot better, the technicalities are all a bit :wacko: to say the least. The fitter took ages working out the balance and adjusting the air. it feels really good now but she wants me to ride with it for two weeks before the final decision on the new panels. Asked her what I owed her and she said nothing, it's all part of the service now! How good is that then! :biggrin:

190325440XIlIEK_th.jpg

My lovely Blondie is coming home on the 14th November!

Am hoping to ride this weekend, my hips are alot better so hopefully riding won't agetate it too much. I've also got someo work to do with one of the horses on our yard which will be very interesting. Hes an 12 year old gelding who has hardly been ridden and often drops his rider on the floor! Best make sure my hips are right for that ! :rolleyes: :unsure:

He's OK :)

Not right, but OK. Apparently he could not put weight on one leg when I was called, but he was much improved by the time I got there. I have upped his Bute and am keeping my fingers crossed.

Sounds like you have found a decent saddler Pendlewitch - few and far between!

Hope your hips are OK Sarah.

Rolo was lunged by the girl that rides him for me last night - made me feel so much better because she lost him on the left rein too! Only the once - she worked out how to nip it in the bud after that - and, for the first time ever, my Rolo threw a strop! It was a very minor one in the overall scheme of things, but unusual for him - it just made us all laugh! Bless him.

anyone remember me :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Have been so busy since moving and just not had time for internet and forums, have popped in a caught up with some of the comings and goings of your horses but just not managed to post cos I have plenty to say :laugh:

have managed to find a horse to ride since moving through here, very soon after moving through I was asked to help out with a nice 15.2 thoroughbred mare due to her owners working hours, she isnt easy to ride but I have been enjoying the challenge. Have had 2 weeks of not riding due to shoe problems so just starting to work her again. Definately on the look out for a nice 16.2 middleweight hunter type/ID as I have all the facilities through here. Offered free livery minutes from the beach or share a field and stabling with the thoroughbred I am helping out with which doesnt have the beach but comes with a hacking buddy and we can share the jobs so will see what happens when the right horse comes along.

Still working with the Appys and we had a horrid accident last week and lost one of our young ones, Benito had a freak accident when he caught his headcollar on the front bolt of his stable, paniced and twisted and unfortunately we think severed something in his spine, he was going to be the most stunning stallion and we had such great plans for him.

Well thats me for now, going to backtrack about 20 pages and see if I missed any good bits

Oh no I am so sorry to hear about Benito, what a tragic accident :mecry: :GroupHug:

Glad the move has worked out well and good luck with finding a horse, sounds like the TB mare is keeping you on your toes :biggrin: I have been having shoe issues too so can sympathise :rolleyes:

Glad you have found a decent saddler PW, as Bradders said there doesn't seem to be many around!

I hope Nemo is okay, and it was nothing serious :flowers: Good luck for the weekend I hope he copes better than you fear with Bonny leaving :GroupHug:

Nothing to report in Loki land - phew about time :laugh:

Glad Nemo is not as bad as you'd first thought. Hope he's a lot better soon.

Sorry to hear about Bento, how sad :mecry: :mecry: :GroupHug:

Frant had a bit of 'lump' in his chest (been there for a while) but it has now swelled massively :rolleyes: I had the vet out on Wednesday and she said she wants to scan it to find out what's going on. Thinks it's muscle damage but wants to check to make sure. Definitely an infection in there anyway. So, we're off to the vet on Monday. Fingers crossed it's not too serious and also that I don't have to box rest him for too long. He has a 'spoilt brat' attitude and doesn't appreciate staying in :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Been bad enough for the last few days, I'd dread a 3 month box rest diagnosis :laugh: (even with ACP).