UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

:laugh: Don't you start!!! We've got county in august and already I've been asked what classes I'm doing!! No chance will Kane cope with all that (or me for that matter!!) I've offered to groom for someone and that's about all I'm willing to do!!! :wink:

Good luck for the 13th, sounds like fun! I can't wait to get going with the jumping cos I think that's more my line than showing.

Another proud Mummy moment from the House of Lady T.

Lovely lady vet out this morning to check her Ladyship's teggie-peggies.

Lady T was as usual, a Lady in all respects and extremely well-behaved.

As Lady T was trotting off afterwards down the field, with a mouthful of apple, the vet looked at her and gave a big sigh. "She is just lovely, I am very jealous." Puffing up with pride, I replied, "she's not a bad old sitck for her age." The vet asked how old she was, and I said 21. Lady vet went, "NO WAY!!!! I would never have aged her at that. I would have put her at 14/15! Her teeth are amazing then! And she looks brilliant." I puffed up slightly more, and informed her Ladyship that she wouldn't be needing the face lift just yet then. :)

I lufffff my horsey. :wub:

Nookie is bruised and sore but not badly injured, just hit the sheath and not anything too important, so lots of bruising and swelling but hopefully it should all ease up in the next few days - phew!!

Good luck for the show Jackie and have fun everyone, I will be offline for a while during the big move.

Glad Nookie's ok, love the name!! Jacky, I agree with Clare, your attitude needs work young lady :angry: :laugh: :laugh:

Good luck to both of you and also to crazyspaniels for the move.

Clare you have inspired me to get Duke out more whilst he still can (it's the jumps! :wub: ). We had our first proper ride/hack today, round several fields and the lovely bit through the water sprayer! Absolutely usual Dukey self - nappy wobbles (he'd like to see Kane, Jacky, they have a lot in common :rolleyes: ) and jogging but hey my stomach needs a work out. We even had a little canter and it was lovely - I gave up trying to sit to the vertical trot which was basically just an extension of what he classes as a walk!

Ted. came with us and with leaping through the corn now it's grown that bit more and keeping up with Duke, he was pooped and for the first time I actually outran him and it was me waiting for him! :wub: Duke and Ted have been around each other since I had Ted so about 4 years now and they are so good out riding, they just ignore each other as though it's perfectly normal. I loved it :biggrin:

Might see if we can pop a pole soon. And I am still loving the fact that he hasn't once bitten or even tried to, or kicked me whilst grooming or tacking up. When he was a 9 -5 horse, stabled at night and in regular work, biting and kicking were so routine you could check his health by it :rolleyes: Retirement aint so bad eh :wink:

Mrs Wicc's, please remind yourself that Lady T is MY horse, I'm just letting her stay with you for a while :ninja: Glad her teeth were fine and the vet nice! :wub:

I think it's fab you are doing more with him! He does sound a character!! :laugh: I bet he's loving being out and about abit! There's an article in one of the horse mags this month about keeping older horses in work, they say it's like people who retire and just stop doing anything are more likely to 'feel' old than those that do little bits. :wink:

My friend (who came off Kane last time she rode) came and had a little lesson on him last night, he was brill!! She was very nervous but didn't let it faze her! Hopefully I'm having a jumping lesson tonight..then flat work on friday (but only if it's not that horrid woman again!!), then another lesson on saturday morning!!! :ohmy: I'm going to die!!!! :laugh: :laugh: I love having the indoor school, it might be abit wet in places but at least it's something!!!

Glad Nookie is more or less OK - sounded nasty!

Am getting very envious of everyone's horsey activities - I am most definitely lacking in that department at the mo :)

I had the complete opposite experience to Lady T with Nemo - I had been persuaded to enter him in a veterans class - he had goen just to keep my friend's mare company really as she was a cow to load. Anyway, they made us strip them off - I knew we were doomed from then on: he has no top line and looks worse with no tack on, and, he loves tryign to bite you when you a trotting up in hand. Judges came up to me and asked "how old is he again" - I told them 21 - they said "well, we've been discussing it, and he is much older than that :laugh: " I politely informed them that I knew his exact date of birth and that he was 21, but had had a very hard life. Needless to say we didn't come first! :laugh:

I have some Rolo news! Someone is coming to see him in a few weeks time with a view to taking him on loan with a view to purchase. To say this would be the perfect home for him is an understatement :) I have been totally honest about him and they are still interested!! :laugh: They are in to natural horsemanship and enlightened equitation, are established instructors in EE, do lectures/ demos etc etc. He should hopefully be working at medium level dressage onc ethey get him going . :)

Only drawback - we are bloomin miles away from each other, but I have a tent and a car so can still go and visit him every now and again!! Will keep you informed!

I have not ridden for ages now, and to be honest, am not sure whether I really want to again. :( Having to let Rolo go has knocked the stuffing out of me - he is the gentlest, kindest horse I have ever come accross, I am just not sure that I can put myself through bonding with another one again. :mecry: Probably a temporary thing - I still feel envious when I see the others hacking out, so I suppose that is a good sign.

:GroupHug: :GroupHug: They do sound the most perfect home, he'll be treated kindly and gently but also have a job to do, which at his age he should have! I think you are extreamly brave to do this, I don't think I could! You are bound to have fallen out of love with riding for the time being, I don't think your heart will be in it until Rolo is settled and you know it's the right thing for him.

You are welcome to come here and play the game of risk with Kane :rolleyes: (My mate rode him last night and he was perfect so he's broken the run of throwing everyone but me off!! :laugh: ). Mind if you found Rolo too wide you'll have to do side saddle on Kane!!! :laugh:

:GroupHug: :GroupHug: They do sound the most perfect home, he'll be treated kindly and gently but also have a job to do, which at his age he should have! I think you are extreamly brave to do this, I don't think I could! You are bound to have fallen out of love with riding for the time being, I don't think your heart will be in it until Rolo is settled and you know it's the right thing for him.

Think that is it Jacky - Rolo occupies my thoughts almost constantly at the moment - I am totally distracted. Silly isn't it? All this heartache over a gypsy pony! :) He has been wierd with me ever since I made my mind up - not quite as cuddly as usual, so I suspect he knows all is not well - probably the fact that I am on the verge of tears much of the time is a bit of a giveaway!! :laugh:

I do not think it is brave! I think it is cowardly in some ways - like I have let him down. Even now, part of me thinks I should struggle on, but, that is what it would be, struggling - no fun for either of us.

Thanks for the Kane roulette offer :laugh: Would need to bring my body protector!! :laugh:

I just hope it works with this chap - I am torturing myself with thoughts like "what if he goes lame", "What if he hurts himself", "what if he gets a sore back and no-one notices" and so on :rolleyes: I think I am going to have to accept that I am not the only person that can care for him! :laugh:

I am hoping that, one day, I will be able to post a piccie or video on here of him strutting his stuff! :)

No selfish would be keeping him in order to save your feelings!! In my heart of hearts I know Kane would of (in the beginning) been better with a much more experienced owner, he'd of come on alot faster and had more confidence but the thought of letting him go absolutely ripped me apart so I pushed on...it's only through pure luck, good friends and sheer bloody mindedness that we've made it (sort of!! :laugh: ). You as an owner are perfect for Rolo, but he's not perfect for you..if you physically can't ride him without pain then you have to let go!! :GroupHug:

Rolo will be picking up on what you are feeling, I've noticed with Kane the last few weeks he's much more affectionate with me, he seems to be pleased to see me and enjoys being with me and I'm sure that's because he can feel how much happier I am!!! I was distracted for weeks before I moved him, it was the biggest weight on my mind and I couldn't stop thinking about it...so I can't imagine how messed up your head must be!! :GroupHug:

Rolo's potential new home sounds brilliant Bradders, fingers crossed in that wierd sort of a way :GroupHug: :GroupHug: Just think of all that you have done for Rolo and the fabulous condition that he is in now, it's like you've built him up to help him on his way to much better things.

You will find your next horse and somehow something tells me that'll be the one you can keep for ever :GroupHug:

Seems the perfect home Jen, I'm sure you'll ride again once you know Rolo is settled and doing well.

Jackie, you sound as though you are having so much fun at the new yard but y'know I wonder if Kane would have come on faster with a more experienced owner. He wasn't an easy horse was he and he has had the time to build trust and bond with you in his quiet farm home and you knew when you were both ready to step it up and I really think that's why it's gone so well!

Wanda is having the vet, I think she is anaemic again as she is doing the head on the floor, I can barely walk thing again. I'm not to happy with her breathing either but that could be because of the same problem so it's Uncle Mike out to see her asap! T'is a bugger as she was going to combined training in two weeks! Never mind though, as long as she gets sorted out is all that matters!

I do not think it is brave! I think it is cowardly in some ways - like I have let him down. Even now, part of me thinks I should struggle on, but, that is what it would be, struggling - no fun for either of us.

It's absolutely not cowardly to say 'OK me and this fabulous horse are not the right partners for each other' and then go on to find him a lovely home, which this one sounds :flowers: It's natural to be upset about it though because he will take a little piece of your heart with him :GroupHug:

:biggrin: :biggrin:

Kane jumped approx 4ft last night!!! He's never done more than 2 ft before!!

Obviously I wasn't riding him at the time!!! :laugh: Anghard's (one of the girls on the yard) horse is out of action with a big abcess :( after his vacc's. Anyway she'd asked earlier in the week if I wanted a jumping lesson so last night she asked if I wanted a lesson, she then said she was going stir crazy not having a horse to jump so I suggested she take Kane and see what she could get out of him!! It was lovely to watch someone very experienced riding him, she was laughing when she got on because her boy is a 17.2hh ID x and she thought Kane was tiny and had no neck!! :ohmy: After abit of schooling she was grinning from ear to ear and saying how fantastic he was, she said he had the softest mouth she'd ever ridden and he was so responsive to the leg it was lovely!! She then said she could feel he had an issue on the left because he's slightly heavier in the hand that side!

Anyway she popped him over some little crosses and said I know he's got more than this!! She then took him over the verticals in the main jumping school which are set up for the YO'ers daughter so she said they are around the 4 ft mark!!! He knocked it over the first 2 times (doing the cob thing..why go over when you can use your weight and go through!!) so she tapped her leg with the crop and he flew over it...so much so she landed on his neck!! :laugh:

Sooo she's said if Jack isn't okay for sunday (which is unlikely) she'll take Kane into one of the jumping classes if I don't mind!!! :biggrin: I'm happy cos it's giving him the confidence to jump, and like she said you can tell he absolutely loves it!!! Tonight she's going to work with me on my show and then we're taking him on the XC course to see what I can do with him..she said it's only me that should do XC with him as she thinks from what she's seen he'll love it and I should share that with him!! :biggrin:

Loads of love to Wanda, I hope its nothing serious. :GroupHug: :GroupHug:

Yay Kane!!! :wub: Her Ladyship is currently looking for a horsey cheerleading costume, so she can be your support act. :wub:

I am in the bad books. Lady T is currently throwing a strop in the field.... *read as sulking and huffing a lot*.

I was in the hallway, with the front door wide open. Tara appears at the gate, and I was 'summoned' in no-uncertain terms!

I went over to see her, and she did her 'follow me' thing (this is turning into an episode of Champion the Wonder Horse now!)

We went across the field, and she showed me something on the floor and stamped her hoof! UhhhOhhhh! It was the empty packaging of her favourite horsey snacks! They had been on the table just outside the house. Less than 6ft away, Pocket Rocket was just swallowing the last of the Tara Snacks!!! Tara glared at Rocket, huffed, gave me her best "you've failed me as a mother" look, swished her tail and stomped off. :wacko:

She is currently standing under her Marquee, doing the deprived since birth look, staring at me through the window. I can feel horsey eyes burning in my back as I type. I can't stand this all day, I'm going to the Dodson & Horrell shop in a bit! Thank goodness they are only 15 mins away!

Jen, if you are ever passing Northants, and you want a little ride, Lady T is very gentle. :) Obviously, the more snacks provided the better.

Gentle :GroupHug: for Wanda.