UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Please Meet Duke

cycas

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my attempt to cat train Duke, I decided to try to get him to retrieve. Specifically, to get him to retrieve some fuzzy honking geese. I have a book called 'Stop! how to control predatory chasing in dogs' by David Ryan which goes on about teaching a retrieve through using two identical toys, so I thought I'd give it a go.

Unfortunately, the dogs had not read the book. unsure.gif

First Az took the goose - and Duke ignored it.

s640x480.jpg

I rushed about a bit playing with geese, and managed to interest another dog. Sadly, it was again the wrong dog.

s640x480.jpg

I tried attaching one of the geese to the flexi lead so I could make it go really fast!

s640x480.jpg

But it was ignored until I started to pick the geese up, which got the prey drive of a ferocious beast going.

Unfortunately, it still wasn't the ferocious beast I was aiming for...! Duke just wanted a cuddle more than a goose.

s640x480.jpg

I have told Mollydog and Az that they have to read the book before we have another go. dry.gif

I am working downstairs today with Duke - this is the first time I've tried this during the day with the cats about.

He has his muzzle on and is leashed to the desk so can't suddenly decide to fly off the handle at the cats who are mooching on Mollydog's beanbag and on the patio outside the open French windows, but so far so good - he is fast asleep by my feet at the moment and doesn't seem at all interested in them. biggrin.gif

What a striking dog, he is going to be an absolute stunner when he gets a bit of condition and muscle on him! wub.gif

I'd guess he has a lot of greyhound, a bit of collie and a splash of deerhound in the mix (only because of his size and because a lot of Irish lurchers seem to have deerhound somewhere in their breeding). Mind you, I have seen a pure greyhound who was 30" to the shoulder so it's not out of the question he's just a big greyhound cross!

What a good boy learning to ignore the cats wub.gif