UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Cassie Has Spondylosis

Tilly1712

Our greyhound girl Cassie has just been diagnosed with Spondylosis :(

She's been very quiet these last few weeks and she's had intermittent lameness in her back legs. She went to the vets for some teeth extractions yesterday and had some x-rays done as well because the vet suspected a hip problem. By the time she came out of anaesthetic it was out of hours so we didn't see our vet. The vet nurse told us a few things, but we've got to go back to discuss the x-ray results properly on Weds. In the meantime we've got to give her Tramadol painkillers and Prednicare steroids.

I don't know much about spondylosis. I know what it is, but I don't know if it can be treated or if it's something that can just be managed with drugs and I'm worried what it means long term for Cassie.

Does anyone know anything about it please and would you mind sharing your experiences?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am pretty sure it can't be treated, although in some cases there may be an option if surgery.... unless I am confusing it with one of the other hip-problems.

Try googling it for more info. She is on painkillers, so should be more comfortable now, and hopefully once you have spoken to the vet, you will know more about long term prognosis and management.

Lexus has been diagnosed with CDRM, and although it eventually leaves her with no feeling in the back end, at least she has no pain with it... it is all progressing a bit faster than we'd like though, although for now, only affects her right hind leg.

Dogs are put on this earth to worry us, I swear!

My 11 year old dalmatian was diagnosed with spondylosis four years ago. His is in his lower back.

It cannot be cured - just like arthritis can't be cured.

At present he only has Metacam or Zubrin, when he needs it, which has only been three times in the last four years.

He doesn't run about as he did, but does enjoy a short gallop occasionally.

His back doesn't flex as it did and sometimes he is a bit stiff when he first gets up.

Other than that it doesn't bother him at present, but I do expect it to get worse as he ages.

Hi - know about this, dear old Barty has spondylosis and my old girl Merrie had Ankylosing spondylitis. You need to know which one it is. Spondylosis is basically arthritis of the spine - here is the Wiki entry on it - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ankylosis and is normally treated either with acupuncture or homeopathy or the allopathic route of tramadol and/or a NSAID.

AS is a horrid disease akin to rheumatoid arthritis and marches relentlessly on. Here is a link that explains the differene - http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Ankylosing-Spondylitis.htm

Either way - it is treatable and I really hope it is just spondylosis - this is really easily treatable and especially where you live there are two brilliant acupuncturists - one at Mansfield Woodhouse and one at Ashbourne who can help Cassie live with this disease for many, many years.

love and hugs

Anne

Edited by Anne Grose

Griffin Beagle has it in his neck and the lumbar region of his back.

He was diagnosed three years ago when he was 10.

It took a long time to get the neck pain under contol but it did happen.

He has been on Metacam for three years but he now only has a maintenance dose each day.

He is still able to enjoy long walks but recently we have cut him down to about one hour a day.This I feel is more age related as he is now nearly 13 and a half.

Thanks so much everyone, sending lots of good thoughts to your own dogs.

Thanks very much for the link Anne, that makes useful reading and it's good to know we have some local Acupuncturists if needed. It mentions eye inflammation as one of the sysmptoms of AS - not really inflammation I guess but Cassie has no pupil response in either eye. The vet knows about it and said it's likely to have been caused by previous nerve damage, but I shall mention it again on Weds.

She's also losing weight, 2kg in the past 5 weeks but mostly muscle tone around her hips. Here's hoping that it's not AS and sorry your poor Merrie had it Anne :GroupHug:

freddie the sheltie has got it, so have i. He falls on his face or his back legs go, but he gets stright up and carries on. he lies down after a short run, but hes happy. hes lost a bit of weight which helps, no good for them to be heavier than needed