UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

october 23

Jazz

Wet and windy here but typical autumn day. Nothing extreme.

NE is worst hit.

Dozens  of roads , including main roads, close due to trees down, flooding  and a landslip on A9.

Part of Brechin was evacuated last night and as flood barrier on the river is effective for a 12 foot rise in level, but expected rise in 16 feet.  That is a lot of water

All roads in and  out of Blairgowrie were closed as were all roads in and out of Dundee.

The situation changes from one minute to the next.

Despite a red alert - possible danger ot life-  people still insist on travelling then complaining when they are stuck or turned back.

People are travelling to the coast to see the waves.

People can be so stupid! Makes me so cross, when the police and emergency services are struggling, that anyone goes out against advice for stupid reasons. 

Local rivers have burst their banks. Chesterfield, Dronfield, Worksop, Retford have floods.

I read a man was killed in  forfar  when a tree fell on his car.  Was his journey worth his life?

It is the same a those who refuse to evacuate then have to be rescued.  60 people who refused to evacuate had to be rescued.

One woman laughed saying it was alright now as they had been rescued,t after her and husband refused to evacuate then , when the water got to high , they tried to get out by driving thier car into the flood.

These people are putting their rescuers'  lives at risk.

• Sad 1

Roads round here are mostly passable now. I took Finley to my nearest nature reserve, which is well landscaped from a former quarry and has good drainage and a gravel path through the middle.  He enjoyed the walk and I was pleased to see a black tern, a rare visitor here.  A few local birdwatchers were taking photos.  Further along, the river Idle was at least 4 ft higher than normal.

Damp and foggy here, but thankfully the floods at Retford are receding.  I am not doing my usual volunteering at the Idle valley reserve until the river level has dropped a bit more, as there is nothing useful I can do there without a 4wd. At least there is no need to watch for poachers and illegal fishermen right now, would be no fun for them to be out at present. 

Suffering from the damp etc as are we all. Dehumidifier is doing its best but I may need to run central heating for a bit instead of just halogen heater. I went to the reserve today, visitor centre ok but many of the reserve paths are flooded, some to nearly 2 ft. The Idle has breached banks in a number of places and all the waders have left the lakes and moved on to the flooded fields.