UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

December at last!

Jazz

Jazz, when I inherited my mother's cottage it was very basic! Electric cooker, no central heating at all, a big through living room with a circular chimney with a fireplace through both sides, if you can imagine.  We used to roast chestnuts on the fire and also do toast, had a very long toasting fork.  Sounds romantic, in reality it was murder in the winter, frost on the insides of the windows and I used to wear a sheepskin coat and a woolly hat to do the cooking.

I used to have a coffeemaker and would love one again. But my kitchen is too small to have it on the worktops and I have limited storage to put it away when I wasn't using it. A cafetier may be the way to go.

Meant to be nice here for the next few days, sunny but cold. Got a bit of tidying up done in the garden, and hoping to get a bit more done tomorrow. All the daffs, snowdrops and crocuses are poking through, the hellebores and cyclamen are in bloom so that's cheered me up that spring is on it's way 😀

We used to make toast a the fore with a long,  brass toasting fork. 

We cooked over the fire aswell.

I remember frost on the inside of the windows too. 

We had icicles two feet long hanging down from the top of the back door.  I rmeber one year we had to wait for a youth form up the street to dig us out of the front door so mr=y dad could go round and dig out the back door.

The snow was piled over the top of the doors.

Getting washed in front of the fire as it was the only warm place.

One house we lived on was an old manse and my mother had to out her fur coat on to go to the kitchen.

We are truly spoilt now with central heating which we take for granted now.

Lovely to hear the spring bulbs are showing through. It is a sign of winter passing.

It's really nice here now, mostly thawed but very cold, and even a wander round the garden has started me coughing again, so another day at home. Just a typical winter cough/cold, no other symptoms.

After a week's searching, no sign of debit card so ordered a new one.

At least you found your library card Owl, do you use it much? I do love libraries, worked in them for years before I switched to universities. Used to go to my local one till they moved it to the other end of town. It's not really that far away but somehow I got out of the habit of going.

We have a through kitchen diner..kitchen end is half tiled but the paintwork above it is looking very tired, so we've decided to repaint it.  Three changes of mind about colour later, I think we've hit on the right one.  Off to the Dulux Centre tomorrow to get it mixed before what I'm sure will be another complete lockdown, looking at how the numbers of Covid cases are soaring everywhere.

The snow we had has all melted but I think more is forecast later in the week.  Lovely bright moon out at the moment.

I hope you keep warm Owl...I got Philip what is described as a biker's neck warmer, nice thick cotton round his neck he can pull up over his nose.  Being asthmatic the cold makes him cough, but when he's got that over his face he feels a lot more comfortable. Maybe you could get one, if you dont have anything similar already? Amazon if I remember correctly.

Yes, Suzeanna, I do have one of those, will dig it out. Plus various fleece balaclavas. 

I belong to 2 libraries, the Notts county library which has a small branch in my village and a really good one in Worksop, and the community library just over the county border in Tickhill.  Both open again, but I haven't been since March. I still haven't read all the books in my house so have been working through those, and also getting books on Kindle Unlimited.

We have six bookcases crammed with books but I tend to read on my Kindle Fire these days..my hands and fingers hurt unless the book is very light and most of ours aren't!

Well, the paint we want for the kitchen has to be mixed..Dulux centre opens at 8 today so at 7 we were both checking colours again, changing our minds (again!) and after about three more hmmm...what about....we've decided and he's gone to get it.  Just hope when we take off the lid we like it. I'm going to be rather frustrated as I want to do my share of painting, but he won't let me.  I'd need the ladder and apparently I'll make my back hurt.  

They are making a lot of noises on the weather forecasts about snow this evening..might hit us, might miss.  I think if there's anything we need from the shops I'll go today rather than risk it tomorrow.

Great news that the AstraZeneca vacc has been approved!

Im supposed to be having the vaccine, but dont know anything about it. they wont know the long term problems. you know me, if there is any problems ill get it.

woke up in a bad mood. mouse and elwood wouldnt let me lie in. my hands hurt more than when I broke my arm, so stronger pills later I think

have a safe warm day. good luck with the paint. it was easy here, every room you can see from the next so did blue all over, except my bedroom, thats pink and purple