UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

March spring time!

Jazz

when I got 4kg merlin off a friend, as he was too big (!) he was so perfect for us, but I  had 3 dogs, 4 is too many (I know, I actually said that!) but the first night, someone was trying to get in the front door. merlin was the only one that barked at the door, a nasty bark. the intruder robbed next door, so how could I let him go?

• Like 1

This morning was meant to be relaxed but I have been so busy on phone and online that I have not even got dressed though been up since before 6. Had breakfast and then it all started.  Been trying to get hold of a temporary shepherd, find an entomologist,  contact the head forester of Bawtry forest when the Forestry Commission site has gone down, advise on escaped parrots ... and I wonder why no housework gets done.

On the plus side, I found the missing croc shoe. Wispa not guilty. 

Glad you found your Croc Owl. Has anyone seen the Croc Martins? I'm not sure if they are just a joke or for real!

We got the alloy wheels nicked off the car many years ago. This was in our last house and the car was parked off-road and pulled up by the front door that had a massive floor to ceiling window beside it. George was asleep in my room with me and never heard a thing despite us being approximately only a flight of stairs away. In those days the police still came out too at least take a look and the officer told George that when it came to guarding he was as much use as a chocolate teapot.  Yet if you opened a packet of anything he'd be at your side in double quick time even if he was out pootling in the back garden. We reckoned the cats just sat on the stairs looking out of that big window watching the thieves removing the wheels.

Yantan...that is an understatement!! I honestly have no clue how/why anyone would come up with that

Seriously p*ssed off, I broke the shower yesterday...so I googled and decided to fix it before my parents get home... found the problem, got the part off and mad dash to the plumbers merchants...I got there with 20 minutes to spare, waited my turn to be told they don't stock the part...I laughed thinking it was a joke as it's a bit that fails regularly, the guy was dead serious, Triton no longer allow them to stock or sell spares anymore sas they are based about 10 miles away... great! Really helps me who had a 4 bus round trip, whose parents come back off holiday to no shower and I won't be able to get a shower until at least Tuesday! I have ordered the bit off Amazon, I refuse to deal with Triton and have emailed my disgust...I honestly have never heard anything so nuts in my life

Now unwinding after rather a strange day. Ended up seeing 3 avocets on the reserve, such graceful birds.

OK what happened was: my friend the local dogwalker, who feeds Wispa if I am out for the day, was walking some dogs yesterday in Bawtry forest when she found a strange thing stuck to a pine trunk and took some photos of it. It looks like a cocoon for baby spiders except that it is about a foot long. My friend could see round things inside which looked like eggs or pupae, so she thought it must be some insect. I was concerned because one of the moths whose caterpillars hatch out in something like that is the pine lappet moth aka pine processionary moth. This is a most unwelcome alien species, related to the oak processionary moth which has become a major pest in SE England. The moths are harmless and only live a few days, but the caterpillars not only demolish trees but are hazardous to humans and animals, especially inquisitive dogs, as their bristles are highly toxic and irritant.  So I had to get hold of an entomologist to see if it was this moth, and also the local head forester as immediate action would have been needed. Ended up feeling a bit silly as it turned out to be a rare slime mould, and the round things inside are like tiny puffballs full of spores.  The moth man who helped me is also an expert on fungi so he knew what it was. Head forester was very relieved. I am not bad on fungus knowledge, but mainly I know what I can eat and what would kill me. As no one would ever eat a slime mould I have never noticed them much. 

The shepherd business was because a friend of a friend was facing a crisis as her husband was rushed into hospital and 68 sheep are due to lamb. 2 local shepherds came forward to help out so panic over.

Owl... don't feel silly, at least you made the effort to get things clarified... better to say something and be wrong than ignore it and there be irritant caterpillars all over the shop

Very pleased the lambing is sorted and hope the farmer is soon better

You are right, Griff. The head forester had a bit of a laugh but is pleased that we are on the alert for unwelcome species in the forest. 

I think farmer will be out of action for a while as he has pancreas infection.

Wanted to watch High Plains Drifter on TV tonight but have flaked out and gone to bed with a book.

Did about 20 mins strimming in garden today, will do the rest tomorrow or Monday. 

Got out of bed by order of the management who said it was far too early. Sat in garden for a while and felt something cuddle up to my foot. It was the big fat hedgehog. Glad I was wearing crocs and not sandals. Brought it food and water.