UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Gym And Fitness Escapades...

murtle

0.5 or 1 is considered a flat road. 0 has a really weird feeling when you run, as if you are on a slight decline and as you get trainer you run into the treadmill! Amusing, but not fun.

Jayne, you need to drop the speed to one that you can start jogging at, this is quite likely to be slower than your walking pace if you are a fast walker. It won't take too long to build it up, but dropping it will really help. Before I could run a whole half marathon, I used to overtake runners whilst walking!

Also, holding onto the bar is a big no no. if you feel you need to hold on, then drop your speed and /or gradient until you are comfortable to do it without holding on. It's like leaning to swim by holding onto the side of a pool. You are just learning to do part of the exercise. Your arms are important in both walking and running for power and balance. You need to teach the muscle memory the Action you want.

Sam, the biggest tip initially is don't be surprised if you can't run initially like you do on the treadmill! The motion of getting going is really different running on the road to running on a treadmill. A treadmill gets you going, and you react to the movement of the belt, whereas on the road you need to be proactive and teach the muscles to get going when the brain says go.

Other than that when running, try not to stop and start. If you get tired slow down your speed to a jog. Don't slow yourself to walk if possible or if you need to only to catch your breath and then start jogging / running again.

Are you planning on building up to your 5km?

If so there are two lines you can go down, some people run by time, some run by distance. Depending on which is important to you, I.e. I have 30mins initially I found this easier on an out and back route, out for 18mins back for 12, home always encourages speed!! Or distance, I would plot a route of a length I wanted. Initially I made sure this had points that I could get home easily if I got to tired. Try different routes if you can, I ran one route for months, I can only now run that route again a couple of years on!!!

Treat it as fun, and don't always push for better times as this can dampen enthusiasm when hitting a plateau.

I have just run my parkrun in the pouring rain and sleet...yay for tomorrow!!

• Like 1

thanks Murtle , great advice

I was just saying to Mark yesterday I was nervous about trying road running as my legs have to make me move on their own with no treadmill !

I am looking at the treadmill as the training wheels to get me to road running and I will be changing my focus to distance rather than beating a time . I would never have considered road running before gaining the confidence from the treadmill , still want to get a treadmill for Sri Lanka as it will be very helpful especially during Monsoon season !

Both Mark and I would like to get to be able to run 5km :)

I remember standing at the start of a half marathon when all my training had been on a treadmill and looked ar my legs with a "oh how do i get them to move question!" That was a fast learning curve!!

Look at the results of your local parkrun, and see the slowest time they do it in. Work from that, as I can guarantee you can run 5km now that you can run 2.4km. If you do a parkrun before you leave, I would warn that ours starts off really fast before people settle into their pace. Don't get caught up in the "moment". So another running tip is "run your own race" you know what you want out of a run, so go for that.

Once you have the distance you will be able to focus more on the speed ;-). Oh and once you have longer distance capability, you will find your shorter distances will be quicker! It all works together like a jigsaw puzzle x

I don't think I can do a park run before I go as I really don't have any spare time at all ! I am looking at October to do the MK one when I am next back as our PT has run it a few times so we could run with him. He did say the start is mad and its best to hang back and let the serious crowd out first as they nearly trample slow coaches to death !

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: HOWEVER Mark and I had an idea this morning :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

why don't we ( as in anyone here ) pick a day maybe in the summer and each do our own challenge , so for example for Mark and I it would be a 5km run in Sri Lanka ( very early in the morning mind ) but it could be timed or distanced walk , jog , cycle, plank , cross trainer

We would make ours a sponsored event for Dogstar but everyone else could just join in for fun to support us on our Dogstar Day of Daring deeds

what do you think ?

Edited by Happylittlegreensquirrel

Well, I've started :unsure: :cheer:

I did week 1 day 1 of the couch to 5k plan today. I figured if I talk about it here, I can rely on you to poke me if I don't keep up with it.

My W1D1 stats (this is for 5 minutes warm up, 8 repetitions of run 60s walk 90s, and 5 minutes cool down):

Not including warm up / cool down

• Pace: 7.9 kph
  • Distance: 2.43 km
  • Time: 18:30:00
  • Fastest Interval: 10.5 kph
  • Longest Interval: 0.18 km
  • Calories: 117

Including warm up / cool down

• Pace: 7.4 kph
  • Distance 3.50 km
  • Like 1

Good idea Sam :)

Well done Sophie :biggrin: We will keep nudging you if you disappear for a while :)

Just got back from the gym - I am still trying to build myself back up to pre food poisoning levels, which is actually harder than I thought it would be :unsure: Today I managed 12 mins on cross trainer in evil mode, 15 mins on the bike at a slower pace than normal. I then did a few bits with weights and 10 leg raises. Then I went on the treadmill. I had it set on the gentle gradient change mode, and walked on the steeper bits and ran at 5.8mph without holding on whilst it was on the flatter parts :)

Well, I've started :unsure: :cheer:

I did week 1 day 1 of the couch to 5k plan today. I figured if I talk about it here, I can rely on you to poke me if I don't keep up with it.

My W1D1 stats (this is for 5 minutes warm up, 8 repetitions of run 60s walk 90s, and 5 minutes cool down):

Not including warm up / cool down

• Pace: 7.9 kph
  • Distance: 2.43 km
  • Time: 18:30:00
  • Fastest Interval: 10.5 kph
  • Longest Interval: 0.18 km
  • Calories: 117

Including warm up / cool down

• Pace: 7.4 kph
  • Distance 3.50 km

wow thats amazing Sophie , well done

Good idea Sam :)

Well done Sophie :biggrin: We will keep nudging you if you disappear for a while :)

Just got back from the gym - I am still trying to build myself back up to pre food poisoning levels, which is actually harder than I thought it would be :unsure: Today I managed 12 mins on cross trainer in evil mode, 15 mins on the bike at a slower pace than normal. I then did a few bits with weights and 10 leg raises. Then I went on the treadmill. I had it set on the gentle gradient change mode, and walked on the steeper bits and ran at 5.8mph without holding on whilst it was on the flatter parts :)

do you remember how wiped I was when I got back from Sri Lanka ? I think it took me about a week to recover. I think you have done really well today

really well done on the running as well

Well done Sophie, brilliant start.

Loooooobieeeeee you have a partner in crime....come back come back!!!

All that weight you lost Jayne is great but will affect your available power for a while so you will be building your strength back up from a slightly different base. If that makes sense.

Well all my training so far has culminated in a time of 2:23:30 for the Reading half marathon! It was cold and wet but so pleased i achieved it. I was aiming for 2:25 but I would have been happy-ish with anything faster than 2:30:00. It was my ninth half marathon (2nd time for reading) and I have finally broken the 2:30 nemesis. I am now showering and heading out to the pub!

A happy smiley mrsmarymurtley one!!

xxx

And I don't feel battered!! Woo hoo, good recovery! x

• Like 2

Well done Murtle :partytime: :partytime:

Thanks guys, I suppose it will take time to build back up again, but being an impatient pants, I don't do waiting to get back to normal again!

I managed to get hold of some almond milk yesterday. Waitrose only had the uht one, but I tried it with my ready brek this morning and it was ok :)

:cheer: Well done Murtle :cheer:

My sister's OH and most of his family did the Reading half marathon too. My sister and BILs mum were cheerleading instead ( lazy bums :D ).

I decided to try some almond milk too, since it sounded tasty - got a carton of tesco's own brand, and it's really good. I've only had it on my bran flakes, but it gives them a nice nutty taste :)

Well all my training so far has culminated in a time of 2:23:30 for the Reading half marathon! It was cold and wet but so pleased i achieved it. I was aiming for 2:25 but I would have been happy-ish with anything faster than 2:30:00. It was my ninth half marathon (2nd time for reading) and I have finally broken the 2:30 nemesis. I am now showering and heading out to the pub!

bugger that quote up but well done :cheer:

I am going to miss my almond milk in SL , actually I am going to miss all bran which they used to sell ( imported at 4 pounds a box ) but now they don't , luckly I can get porridge oats there so that will be my main breakkie. If I don't fancy porridge I can always get curry and string hoppers from the local shop as they serve that from 8 am , after midday you can gave rice with your curry...

I went to the gym this morning and ran a gentle 3km in 19.30 :pinkie: I played around with speeds a lot and have yet to find a comfortable longer distance speed but the avergage was 9.2 ( my timed runs start at 10.5 ) I am very confident I can build to the 5km and get my treadmill time around 40 minutes as a starting point

In Sri Lanka Mark and I are planning to run outside before 7 am ( roads quiter and no heat ) and we are going to start with 1km and build up to around 3km and see how we go from there

Thanks Sam!

Sam have you thought of looking at the couch to 5km? You may be able to miss out some of the weeks as you have a level Of fitness already, but it could give something to start with for building up distance on the road.

Is it just me that likes porridge with water?! I use a low GI sugar thing on it so I don't go high then low :-)

• Like 1