UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Gym And Fitness Escapades...

murtle

Glad your feeling better Jayne , DO NOT DO TO MUCH AND GET SICK AGAIN !!!!

PT has advised me that 12 minutes is the mens time for 2.4 and he wants me sub 14 minutes although he now says I could pass the female physical entry test for the Royal Navy ( I don't actually want to join the Navy i might add )

I have no idea how I am going to run faster unless I start faster , I normally break myself in at for about 1 minute but I don't have those 60 seconds to spare at the other end when my legs and lungs are knackered

I will try a quicker start on Thursday and hope I don't burn out at 2km again

Not being a runner myself, this advice may not be appropriate, but would you not be better getting comfortable running 2.4km at say, 14.30, then trying to run faster once your legs and lungs are used to the effort? That is what I do on evil mode on the cross trainer, I started at 10 mins as that was all my body could cope with, then when I was coping with that ok, I increased it to 12 mins, until now I can do 16 mins in evil mode with a 5 min warm up in normal mode. Will probably have to drop back down to 12 mins on Friday, but will soon have it built back up again :)

And don't worry Sam, I won't overdo things :flowers:

I think it's great advice Jayne but my trainer is sure I can do under 14 minutes ! And it's my fear of burning out that's stopping me upping the levels till about 90 seconds in which leaves me having to sprint at the end

I do now believe him that i can do it and I am going to start the next run at a higher speed

On my first attempt on the 3rd march I ran it in 16.34 Today was 14.16 !

That's some margin you have chopped off your run time! Well done :biggrin:

thats why I know a lot of it its mental attitude , there is no way in 9 days I could have physically improved enough to have taken 2.15 off a run , I trust my trainer enough to know if he says I can do it I can but even so I have to take that last leap of faith and start running at a higher speed a tiny bit earlier

5.5 miles run on the group run! The leader got a little lost so added half a mile extra. Average pace was 10:21/mile. Was very pleased with that.

Now fingers crossed for some decent running weather on Sunday!!

well done , you are doing so well

• Like 1

If the worst thing is that you burn out Sam, you can hit the stop button and you'll know for the next time. Fear on the treadmill can only be removed through practice. Though your method of steady and sprint is something learnt by road runners!

One thing I do for every run is take a learning from it. Last Saturday's parkrun I went out too fast, exploded and had to really slow down. This is a repeated learning, I MUST run my own run! I know this, but sometimes get overexcited. If i start too fast I fade too soon. If I start steady, I can build on it. I have a pretty good sprint finish!

Tonight I learnt not to eat too much during the day and drink a chai tea latte 20mins before running! I also learnt that I start wheezing about 40 minutes into a 55 minute run which is no good.

You have knocked a lot off your time, but I have to say I hate kilometres!! I keep having to work it back to miles :-). xxx

Edited by murtle

I hate Km as well but the damn machines are set up that way

its 1.5 miles , the reason we are doing 2.4km is thats the distance that you have to run to get into the Navy and our trainer is an ex forces trainer so really knows how to train folk for this distance !

I need to run my slow and steady fast enough to make 90 % of the distance and leave myself just enough oomph to sprint at the end , its a balancing act and I have blown it twice and died at 2km , today I did much better but had nothing left from 2.3 and could not get under 14 mins

I am going to try again on Thursday , tomorrow is upper body day with free weights and body weight

:laugh: I hate kilometres too - I always change the machines to miles when I get on them :)

Well done for the park run Murtle :) Do you have an asthma inhaler to use if you get wheezy?

I don't like eating before a workout either - the last few weeks I have had a bowl of ready brek before my Wednesday class, but that is a no no tomorrow as I am mildly lactose intolerant, so there is no way I am having anything with milk in it for a good few weeks :rolleyes:

Can you work out what time you need to sprint and at what speed and work out a plan, Sam? You are doing bloody well.

To be honest I don't normally eat before exercise either as I suffer dreadfully. Today I was just bored at work so ate too much...oops!

I am in discussion with my doctor at the moment as to if I am asthmatic or not! By the end of the run I am not wheezy so I also said no to getting wheezy...now I think I just slow down when i do, whereas on the group run that isn't an option. Now I have to work out why I have a brown and a blue inhaler!!

I have mild asthma - seems to affect me most when I am driving for some reason :unsure: I just have a blue inhaler that sits in my handbag or when I need it. My asthma isn't bad enough for a brown preventer inhaler. I would start taking your blue inhaler on your park runs with you and try using it as you get wheezy :)

• Like 1