UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Gym And Fitness Escapades...

murtle

Went to the sprints group last night of the local running club...back is feeling it today which means I was tense and my lungs worked hard!

Will have to do hill session in the gym this week!

Hills ! cripes distance is my challenge currently , hills would near finish me off

are you training for a race or event Missus Murtle running type person ? I would like to do a 5 km for Dogstar at some point

I am still here and plodding on. :)

You are all doing so well and put my feeble efforts to shame,but I guess every little bit helps.

I wish I had thought about doing it when I was younger but I was too fat and lazy then :D

I wish I had done it when I was younger too but I have learnt its never too late nor is any effort too feeble

As my fitness guru ( Jillian Micheals ) says , you showed up for yourself when you do any workouts etc

so you ROCK :)

You may know this Sam, but To increase distance you need to slow your pace and just learn to go further. Yes it will feel odd to be running slower than you can probably walk but it is a different motion and it does help.

Then the hills and speed intervals will increase your stamina and strengthen lungs and legs and help you increase the pace you run it in.

I am running the reading half in march. I hope to knock a few minutes off my 2hour 30 times!!

I will also run the Windsor and Henley halfs in sept / oct and keep looking at doing a couple of others during the year to keep me motivated and on track with training.

I keep thinking I would like to run a marathon in the next few years but would really like to be able to reduce my half time substantially others it will be a long painful day out!!

Vonny you are never too old to start exercising and something is better then nothing so start posting what your are doing again!

Where is mags as well?!

We are all at different levels with different goals and ambitions, not better or worse.

Well done guys for your running - I still refuse to run - the words of my physio I used to see as a teenager always come back to haunt me 'you never see a happy jogger' :laugh: Plus as my knees are pants, it's not worth the risk.

Evil mode on the cross trainer is just evil. It changes the resistance as you work, with the minimal resistance set at 6 and going up to about resistance 16 (ish). It is pure evil. I can cross train for about half an hour + on normal mode, but on evil mode 16 mins nearly killed me last night :rolleyes: :laugh: I will take a picture of evil mode when I am there tonight :)

You may know this Sam, but To increase distance you need to slow your pace and just learn to go further. Yes it will feel odd to be running slower than you can probably walk but it is a different motion and it does help.

I didn't know that so thank you , I have been upping my speed to get it over and done with ! I am doing this on the QT as I want to surprise my PT so any advice is very very welcome

I might try some sprints and gradients tonight ( PT is fond of those ) and then try to extend distance tomorrow , would you suggest trying to tack on a extra .5km at a time ?

Ah sneaky, i like it!!

For treadmill speed intervals I use the setting on the treadmill (I know some have and some don't) but it is either speed or interval. It allows me to set a jog pace and a run Speed. I set the jog at 8km and the run to 15km. Start slower and build up though. I then warm up for upto 5mins (I get bored of warm up/ cool down) then hit the button and it increases speed.

I do; 45 secs on run then 90 secs on jog and repeat 5 times.

The first one should be easier than than the last one, though for me the third is always my worst. I know if I can complete the third I can complete the last two. If you aren't struggling / feeling it by the end it means you need to increase the speed a little. I started at 14 and my instructor always increased it by 0.5 speed. I have dropped back as I haven't done them for ages. Though when I was doing them regularly I would also start to increase the time. The thing I was uncomfortable to begin with was my fear of not bein able to run fast enough, hence the slower start speed to build up confidence and ability.

General rules are, you recover for twice the time that you run for.

If you hit stop / pause during it, game over. You aren't to restart them until the next time.

You aren't allowed to hold the bar at any time except when changing the speed. I find if I press the button I sometimes push so hard I go backwards so I tap the bar with one hand.

You may need sips of water in your recovery, if you aren't recovering it may be that the recovery speed is too fast.

Hill reps are start on an incline of 1 and run for 2 minutes at about 8 or 9. After 2 mins change incline up by 2. Run for 2 minutes at incline of 3 then move it up 2. Run for another 2 minutes keep going until you break. Again if you hit stop, game over!

Both of these have helped me with my running, and once i was capable of doing them, she woul get me to do my work out with weights and cardio and then do one of these sessions. At 12 miles the body needs to know it can still go on!!

0.5km sounds a good amount to increase by. If you drop your speed a fraction and increase your distance, then next time try the increased distance and your regular speed. The drop of speed is meant to enable your legs to go for longer. I have a nemeses speed at 8 for distance, 8.2 and I can go for ages but at 8 it saps my energy. It took me months to realise I could break that barrier!

Sorry if that is long and waffley. xxx

I always used to think that about my knees and running Jayne, thankfully I really enjoy it and my knees are happy so far. My consultant always said cycling was more likely than running but at the time I wasn't interested in any of it. I was at the start of Uni and did no exercise anyway so it didn't matter to me. I do enjoy cycling now I am slightly fitter but it uses different muscles to running so it hurts just as much.

Sam is this near you?

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/miltonkeynes

Well today I have walked the dogs for an hour.

Done three miles on the exercise bike including some hilly bits.

Done 100 sit ups

Some press ups with the ball and some other bits using a 3Kg kettle bell.

I might try another couple of miles on the bike when my legs have recovered :confused:

• Like 1

Well done Vonny :)

Tonight I did all my farm jobs, rode Blue for an hour and then went to the gym :)

Mr Grumpy was there tonight and actually came over to talk me whilst I was on the cross trainer. He has been on a course this week, and wanted to calculate the number of calories I need to eat per day. Anyway, it turns out if I sit not doing anything all day, I need to eat 1300 calories per day. For the amount of exercise I do, I need 2300 per day to maintain my weight as it is. That is so not going to happen (except on my fat blow out weekend days :laugh: ). I also got him to show me how the scales work, well he weighed me on them. I now weigh 59kg, so I have put on weight in muscle, however when I was 57kg that was first thing in the morning before I had eaten anything, and I am always lighter in the morning :)

Anyhow, today I only had a short session as I had done a lot of other exercise tonight. So I did 10 mins on the cross trainer in evil mode

temporary-20.jpg

Then went down to the weights room, did some work on my legs, split squats etc, then did 10 mins on the treadmill :)

The higher levels on the evil mode get the mets level to about 10.5 :)

Forgot to say as well, from speaking to Mr G on Wednesday, he definitely hates Mr Grumpy. Am pretty sure that I would rather have Mr G as a friend, than go out with Mr Grumpy and lose Mr G as a friend. Anyhow, I have a ready made excuse all sorted in case he does ask me out - in order to apply to take me out, you have to be single, so I am planning to stay single until I know that I definitely haven't got on the show :)