UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

January's Jimmy Jammering

merledogs

Keeping everything crossed the two pups respond to futher treatment. Owl - if you do get the chance to promote the Doglost team then go for it. You and Wispa deserve the recognition but also, if Wispa does go for the furry mics it will make good TV. And as shallow as that may seem that will put Doglost in the spotlight and people's minds more than any 'well behaved' dog.

Glad the job is going well Murtle

Hope Hobie and Reuben are OK now and that you can get a good sleep tonight.

I don't know why people think dogs can't track other dogs. Dogs leave messages everywhere to tell other dogs where they have been and who they are. It must be one of those things like the idea you are always 6 feet away from a rat, which people often repeat. Or 8 feet or whatever, can't remember but it's not far. Someone in London came up with it about 100 years ago and it has stuck. A more recent estimate gives 50 feet.

The other idea we are up against is that dog scent only lasts half an hour. I was told this with great authority by a gamekeeper, who knew because he had worked dogs all his life. Had he done tracking? No. Had he ever worked a German pointer? No, but what's the difference, all dogs are the same.

I am very interested in the secondary smell system which dogs have, which may relate specifically to smells left by other dogs. Will have to do some googling and see what research has been done on that.

I wonder how Sam is getting on with the newborn pups at Dogstar.

Hope all remaining pups, inlcuding Sri Lankan, are rallying. So sorry to hear Chloe didn't make it through either. As I walk my dogs separately I've noticed that they pick up on where the others have walked, manage to find where they've been and go following the same routes. I try to divert them otherwise it can get blooming boring doing the same trip 3 times over lol.

Jayne can't believe how quickly your holiday has gone.

Hope Reuben & Hobbit are feeling better Liz

i hope all the pups continue to fight.... including overseas puppies

Owl, i think the whole team should be nominated too and that paul o'grady should go on a track with you..... bet he would love that

Gooster, i can't believe that the week has gone already!!!

i hope all sick peoples and animals are soon on the mend

Hobie & Reuben are absolutely fine thank you. It was all down to them sneakily eating indigestible things they shouldn't! They successfully ejected them by natural forces which I guess is better than surgery! An undisturbed night was lovely.

I slept through our Welsh fencing contractor ringing well past 11pm to say he wanted to come today. Another call at 7am! He is trying to fit our job in while the wind & rain are not howling around. We decided to improve the fencing at the rear to be extra safe as there are sheep in the fields behind.

Griff what an excellent idea about Paul O'Grady - I'd love to see him out tracking with Owl and Wispa or the other lady.

I've just brought Archie in as he was standing at his passport control position in the middle of a heavy hail shower. Silly boy. To paraphrase the US post office "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays this little dog from the completion of his duty to check every passer-by".

oh Owl, i will continue to keep everything crossed for the pups

Whizzie, glad the dogs let you sleep through... shame about the builder, hope he gets your fence sorted before the weather turns

awwwww Archie..... i think you should build him his own little command post with little hut, bed etc Lol

laneys paw is still manky so back to the vets for us today.... i wonder will i ever get a week where i don't need to see the vet or talk to them?? the vet told me that my animals must have chosen me as they knew i would take good care of them and their issues.... i wonder if the next pup we get will be "normal"

owl I think it would be amazing if you and Wispa were on TV and got an award , often these awards go to big named rescues and us unknown folk need representation and you guys would be awesome ( I would vote for you )

I wonder how Sam is getting on with the newborn pups at Dogstar.

Sorry to hear about Hope and lots of good thoughts for the other two puppies.

I've been thinking of the Sri Lankan puppies too.

Pups are now living with me , did anyone see that coming ( ha ha ) four hourly feeds and they are doing well ( I am a space cadet ) , I have a team of helpers taking over when I leave so I think they will make it :)

there is a short video of them here http://www.dogstarfoundation.com/orphaned-7-day-old-pups/