UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Relocating - How Do You Do It?

kittycat

I've applied for a few different jobs within my company at different sites, one of them is essentially a transfer with no reason why I wouldn't get it. It's about 150 miles away so I would need to move but I don't know how I will go about it. I would need to find somewhere to rent that will accept pets and find somewhere close to work as I won't have a car anymore but what other things will I need to do? Surely it's not as simple as just finding somewhere to live?

It pretty much is that simple, over the course of Robs RAF career we relocated several times to areas we knew nothing about until we got there, and of course we have just last month relocated back home to Wales after not living here for over 23 years. Once where you are going to live is sorted and you know how you'll manage with getting to and from work, the rest is pretty much the same as any move, redirecting your mail, finding a Dr, a vet, a dentist (that'll be the hardest bit if you want to register with an NHS dentist - it took me 5 years to get one when we first moved to Wiltshire on the other hand I got one here pretty much straight away), arranging all your utilities etc. Its worth checking the Police crime maps for any areas you are considering moving to so you know which areas to avoid when looking for somewhere to live as that's local knowledge you won't have. Its much easier these days with the internet, you can do an awful lot of prior research online, even using google maps to "drive up the street" before viewing flats etc.

Things to consider are that you probably won't know anyone there, and probably won't know the area, I always spent a bit of time most days for the first couple of weeks after moving anywhere new, just getting in the car picking a direction and then driving around aimlessly, just getting to know the routes and area, where the shops were, where the parking was etc. if you won't have access to a car then do the same with walking and buses it's a bit like being on holiday just having a mooch about discovering your new "home".

The trick is managing the transition to ensure you tie in the move with the new start date. Maybe take a week off in between to actually move and settle the dogs in. Other than that, it's pretty much straightforward. You might need to speak to someone local to find out which areas are nice to live in and which to avoid first though.

Where you thinking of moving to? :flowers:

Edited by merledogs

Ask those who already work there for advice where to look for housing.

In the meantime have a look on the internet for houses available to let, just to see what is available.

Depending on your working hours you may need a dogwalker.

Start clearing out and deciding what you will take with you.

Thanks for the advice. I have a few options open to me, I can either move to Chesterfield or wait a few months and move to Norfolk and work for the extended family. I like the Norfolk idea to be honest and I wouldn't have to find anywhere to live or worry about finding somewhere that will take pets. Will have to wait and see now what happens at the interviews, I'm very excited about it all and I'm not really bothered which one I do just as long as I'm away from this place.

• Like 1

Both places are nice. Chesterfield is good because it's so central and close to lovely countryside as well. I'm really glad I came here. But Norfolk is beautiful and has a much drier climate.

I am in Tameside tomorrow, tracking at Carrbrook.

I live just outside Chesterfield and OH works in town...which company would you be relocating with, and where is their base? I looked at the "lets" in the local paper and a lot, though not all, say no pets. :unsure: The benefits of living here are the fabulous scenery of the Peak District a short drive away and as Owl said easy movement via the motorways to the rest of the country. I can see the pull of extended family but must admit on the few times I've been to Norfolk I've thought the countryside horrendously bland..it's flat in every direction! Give me Derbyshire or Yorkshire any day! Whichever decision you make, I hope it works out well for you...just don't do anything in haste that you might regret in the future. :GroupHug:

What a coincidence, you are right in her current wandering zone! Our first expedition took us from her home street in Carrbrook down paths and lanes to Micklehurst, then round the backs of workshops and factories and eventually to Previns, then through that bit of woodland next to it, back on to the road, along side of playing field and down on to the canal path, crossing by footbridge and round behind Previns. Then Wispa found scent around the cemetery, down the footpath through the middle.

Yesterday we started at Rajas and a very fresh scent took us up a road to the left of Previns, then first right and down to the farm. Then a circuit round the side of golf course, down to canal path and back to the village, doing a complete loop around the farm.

If you see her, be careful as she can be snappy cos she doesn't hear or see very well. You could probably chuck a slip lead over her head.

Watch out around the chippy, on that bit of scrub there, and round the backs of houses as we think she will be scavenging.