UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

August's Audacious Ambles

merledogs

Oooh I've just posted in July. Doh! I shall go and grab it and put it in here :)

Morning.

Griff you have made me laugh with your antics. I admire your indomitable spirit. You too Suzeanna!

Jazz I hope you are feeling better this morning.

I have wanted a dutch oven for years and last week I found a bargainous one on eBay so I treated myself. Apparently they are fab for baking bread in so last night I prepared a loaf from a no-knead recipe - because there is no way I could knead bread! I always feel carp in the morning, stiff and sore and usually knackered from interrupted sleep but the thought of getting the loaf in the oven gave me a real boost. Am I officially sad?

Any road up it's in the oven now. I am not expecting great things on my first attempt but even if it is only destined for the bin the aroma of baking bread will have been worth it! It smells divine and takes me back well over 30 years to the time I was the manager of a bakery shop with the bake house attached. Happy days! But bloody hell - where did the time go???? It's frightening how quickly I have reached 53.

• Like 1

The bread is out of the oven and it looks fabulous! I hope it tastes as good as it looks. I am about to make another cuppa and try a slice with raspberry jam (mainly to disguise the taste of the soya spread I use. I wish I'd thought to get some real butter!)

• Like 3

Happy August :)

Hope your bread is yummy Yantan :biggrin:

Off for round 2 of operation tax car in a bit. Went to tax it yesterday and took all my paperwork with me. Turned out that endsleigh hadn't sent the certificate of insurance, but a statement of insurance. Bloody git in the post office wouldn't accept that. So I went home, phoned endsleigh, who emailed me the certificate straight away, but I couldn't print it as I had no ink in my printer. I then rang the post office to see if he would accept seeing a copy on my phone and he said no. No wonder people do online, so much easier - would have done it online if the stupid thing hadn't failed its mot!

Wishing everyone a good August. Haven't read back yet to catch up on end of July news from everyone so will post again later. Back home last night, found fresh trails from missing dog and definite pawprint, small dog lost and confused on huge common area could be a long job but at least we know she is moving around and not trapped. Another dog in the house, clever little collie x sheltie, has taken over tracking duties bless her.

That bread sounds yummy, Yantan.

Ha! I was just wondering how you and Wispa were getting on Owl and here you are. I hope the little dog is found soon.

The bread tastes nice :) So I will be making it again - I might add something to it next time, like cheese or thyme.

I'm on a roll as I've just made some peanut butter dog biscuits for Archie and his pals. This is the first time I have made them so I will wait to see what the panel of taste testers think of them.

Jazz, i hope you feel better today, try and stick your feet up for a bit!!!

Yantan i am off to google dutch ovens as i have no idea what one is, i like the smell of fresh baked bread..... i am not patient enough to let it cool though Lol

Gooster, the people at the post office can be real pains in the a*se, we do ours online all the time now as i can't be bothered with digging all the paperwork out

Owl i hope the little doggie is found soon, she must be scared bless her.

Merledogs............. i agree, summer needs to start now!!!!! everythingis better when the sun shines!

Woowoowoowooooooooo. I've just watched the two British girls take gold in the rowing and it's also the first time ever British women have won gold in any of the rowing events. Fantastic! The crowd were amazing too cheering them like mad banshees.

• Like 1

i am glad we have got a gold in something and how fabulous for them to get a first in their sport.

just been on to pc world, the tv has developed a scorch mark in it, i asked for a new tv, they said no it will be repaired and i will be without a tv for at least a minimum of a week!!!! my dad told me to tell them to bog off and we will buy a new tv and not off them, the first tv they gave us was faulty.... this one isn't even 10 months old and it is knackered again, the plan is buy a new tv which he will then put upstairs and take the other one to pc world and tell them to sort the damn thing out...get the repaired or new tv back and i will keep my sanity by having a tv to watch.

Blimey. you have been busy today! I am just on lunch, so catching up. I like the sound of no knead bread Marion, if I can't have a slice of the real thing, do you have the recipe please??

What's a dutch oven look like?

Yay for gold!!

hope the tv gets sorted Griff!

I would like summer back too, it is so dark and grey here.

Yes indeed Jazz.

A dutch oven is a cast iron pot. Le Crueset (or however you spell it) do a fancy one lined with enamel. Mine is from Prestige. They usually cost around £40, even for a basic one, but the one I got from eBay was £16.99 with P&P of £3.99 which was very reasonable not least on the postage due to the weight.

Marge I used the recipe from this site http://cookedinmykit...oven-bread.html

My loaf looked even better than the photographed one there - even if I do say so myself. I have just had a ham sandwich made with it :)

edited because they cost more than £4!!!

I'm back to give you the British measurements for the recipe: flour 250g of each, 16 oz of water but I actually didn't use the last oz or so as I mixed it in bit by bit and it looked more than wet enough before I got that far. Oven - the hottest setting. 450F comes out to 230C but my oven stops at 220C and it was fine.

Edited by Yantan
  • Like 1

Jazz, sorry to hear such sad news and you are right live for today!!!! i have just had that conversation this weekend with my brother who is unhappy in his job.... i told him to tell them to stuff it and begger off abroad Lol.

phone just went..... vets came up on caller display, i thought he was calling to ask me to take a puppy on (there is a little 4 month old staff x who needs lots of love) thankfully he wasn't, they were worried at the vets they hadn't heard from me and last time they saw my dad a few weeks back they didn't know what was wrong, that nearly had me in tears that he had taken time to call and see i was o.k and if i need anything to let them know

• Like 1