UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

2011 Diet Thread

Don't be disappointed Alex - every one pound is worth it :flowers:

If you think you haven't lost much try picking up a one pound bag of apples or something similar and carry it around in your hand for 30 mins - you'll soon see just how much one pound really feels like it - and know that your body is no longer heaving that around. keep up the giood work :biggrin:

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks both flowers.gif I have been eating approx 1200 calories a day during the week and then more at weekends, and I do vary what I eat quite a bit, so I don't think it's that.

Maybe it's just a plateau, or else I am eating too much at weekends, or else I'm water retentive unsure.gif Am going to cut down on what I eat at weekends, so will see what happens then.

my weight is still stable and I am happy at my target weight , yesterday I brought a 2nd hand pair of size 10 Top Shop Jeans and they fit :jumpy:

That's fabulous, well done :pinkie:

Edited by merledogs

Well done everybody on making the scales move in the right direction, whether it's a small loss or a big one. You've all obviously got plenty of determination and will power :flowers:

I've tried Slimming World and just couldn't get my head round it, I'm trying to cut down portion sizes and really think about what I'm eating but I'm just getting heavier and heavier and I'm quite miserable about it.

Would people mind quickly listing what they are eating in an average day, just so I can compare it with what I eat please :unsure:

For instance, on a weekday I might have:

Breakfast - Slice of brown toast with olive spread and/or a bit of marmalade, and a plain low fat yoghurt. Or bran flakes and semi-skimmed milk.

Mid morning - fruit

Lunch - home made tomato and bean soup with a bit of Wensleydale cheese grated on top, and a brown pitta bread. Or bran flakes and milk if I haven't had that for breakfast.

Mid afternoon - cereal bar.

Tea - a baked potato with beans or chilli; or a steamed chicken breast with steamed veggies and a low fat yoghurt for afters; or a bit of home made spaghetti bolognese sauce with rice or pasta.

And I nearly but not always have a glass of wine after my tea (I know, it has to go :laugh: )

If I buy a ready meal it will be an Innocent Veg Pot, or some cooked chicken and a pot of bean salad, or similar. I think I eat too much bread and not enough veggies, but I also feel as if I don't actually eat masses so I must be eating the 'wrong' things :shrug:

Does anyone find keeping a food diary helps?

Jules, you could also not be eating enough food!

Re low fat yoghurts... try the fat free yoghurts. I particularly like the Shape Zero as they are creamy and feel naughtier. :biggrin: And they are often on offer. Or there are muller lights. Beware things that say low fat as that often means added sugar. Better to make your own where possible as you did with soup.:flowers: What was it you had problems with on Slimming World and what plan were you following? Maybe we can help? Also, I have a glass of wine most evenings, but I have cut it down by diluting a drier wine with sugar free lemonade. :wink:

A food diary is a good idea. Don't forget to write everything that you drink/eat including coffee, tea, milk, juice, chewing gum, the odd sweet or chocolate. Amazing how much you shove in your mouth and don't think about. I was a devil for finishing off the last slab of cheese rather than put it back in the fridge. :rolleyes:

Well done Jazz flowers.gif

Jules were your doing SW at a group or online ? I tried to do it on my own and online and could not get my head it but once I joined a group it all fell into place for me flowers.gif

I weighed myself today and I am now 9.11 , my weight is fairly stable between between 9.11 and 9.13 on any given day so I am pretty happy with that

Would people mind quickly listing what they are eating in an average day, just so I can compare it with what I eat please :unsure:

Does anyone find keeping a food diary helps?

I do find that keeping a food diary helps me cos I can average out how many calories I've eaten in a week, plus it gives you that 'visual guilt' flowers.gif

Re what you are eating, there are way too many carbs in there. Do away with the carbs as much as you can, definitely don't have them after lunch and don't have cheese on your soup. I would steer clear of the cereal bar as they can be surprisingly high in calories. Have protein and veg (but not spuds) for tea, rather than more carbs. Porridge oats is great for breakfast cos it is slow release so keeps you full until lunchtime.

It's sometimes better to buy the supermarket 'fresh' soups, cos at least you know precisely how many calories you are getting, although homemade tomato seems okay, especially if there is nothing fatty going in. BelVita breakfast biscuits are tasty and are slow release so keep me going until lunchtime.

In a typical day I would have :

Breakfast

BelVita or porridge oats or bran flakes

Mid morning

Piece of fruit

Lunch

Crackers with low fat egg mayo, or tuna, or turkey breast or cottage cheese (depends on the crackers as to how many I have) OR

Sandwich made with Nimble bread (49 cals per slice) and low fat spread, with ham, turkey breast and salad OR

Pot of soup and some crackers.

Mid afternoon

Piece of fruit

Tea

Fish (lightly breaded from Aldi) with peas/veg and a smidge of tartare sauce

Gammon steak (fat removed) with peas/veg

Steak (usually on its own).

Phoebejo that's very impressive :flowers:

Thanks Andrea, Squiggs and Alex. I was going to SW classes but the class leader was useless, didn't explain anything, just took my money and stuck me in a corner with some forms and then gave me the books to read while she read out everyone's results, so I tried to work it out for myself.

I've been shopping for a fruit and veg mountain and I've cut right down on carbs, and I'm keeping a diary too. I haven't got any scales so I'm going by how my clothes feel.

Well done missus Bejo :pinkie:

I can't tell if I've lost any weight this week or not (the lines on the scale are far too small for my eyes these days, even with glasses on). If I have then it's only half a pound or so, but to be honest I am just glad I haven't put any on cos I've had a blow out several times this week (Tuesday after the exam was over, Wednesday we had a buffet lunch at our Supplier Forum, last night I had a proper (ie not Nimble) bread roll, with some chicken from a rotisserie chicken I bought, which felt very indulgent.

I must get some electronic scales so I can actuallly see what I'm doing rolleyes.gif

Re what you are eating, there are way too many carbs in there. Do away with the carbs as much as you can, definitely don't have them after lunch and don't have cheese on your soup.

from my experience I don't think you do need to be low carb to lose weight flowers.gif

Slimming World does not restrict Carbs in fact it encourages you to eat them , on the plan Mark , GS and I have been doing ( Green days ) we can have unlimited pasta , potatoes & rice. Some carbs are restricted to a set amount ( bread for example ) but carbs are very much part of the plan and between us we have lost nearly 7 stone

I know its horses for courses and low carb clearly works for some people ( you are doing really well ) but carbs are Squirrels friends laugh.gif