UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Is This Ibs?

Mags

I'm not into self diagnosis but I'm over two weeks waiting for a hospital appointment for colonoscopy and endoscopy. So I thought I would share my symptoms (not literally :laugh: ) and maybe the all knowing fugees could help me out in the meantime. This could be lengthy :unsure:

Some background first.

I'm nearly 5 months off the cigarettes and have been putting on weight since. Now this is to be expected as metabolism changes but should have calmed down after about 2 months. I haven't been snacking or eating extra. All the weight has gone onto my stomach area, so much so that a few weeks ago I was congratulated on being pregnant. This was not someone being nasty, they were genuinely pleased for us. Luckily I was able to laugh this off but I could have been upset by it as I have been conscious about my increase in weight. I have never had to worry about my weight until now. I'm 5'5" of slim build and now nearly 11 stone, normally 8.5 - 9 stone.

I got the coil about 2 years ago and haven't had a period for over a year but about 2 months ago I was convinced I was pregnant because of the weight gain and a pain under my left rib (I used to get similar pain when I was pregnant on Andy). All the tests showed I wasn't pregnant.

The pain under my rib started getting worse in the last month and I've been suffering from constipation on and off. At times I get a fluttering or pulsing feeling where the pain is. I find myself walking around with my hand on the pain when it gets bad. Bad on a scale of 1-10 being 8/9.

Two weeks ago I went to the doctor about it and she sent me to A&E. I had blood tests and a chest X-ray at the hospital which all came back normal. I had to take Buscopan for 4 days and I'm on Nexium for 4 weeks. So now I'm waiting for the camera jobs. All the doctor at the hospital would tell me was that it was either a stomach or bowel problem. If anything the pain is worse than ever some days. Sometimes, I get a pain in my back right behind the pain in my rib if that makes sense.

To help ease the constipation I've been eating Weetabix and the pain was getting worse, which I just put down to the constipation. But yesterday I had Special K and the pain wasn't as bad. So maybe the lower fibre content is better?

I've melted my head reading stuff on the internet so I thought I'd ask normal people :biggrin: who might be able to give me some advice how I can help myself until the hospital get around to me (don't worry, I've been hassling them :mad: )

Please fire questions at me or just make suggestions of what you think might help.

If you're still here, I thank you :flowers:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sorry your going through this Group_Hug_Emoticon.gif, and having to wait so long to find out won't be helping matters given that stress can be a major factor if you do have IBS.

Things that I've found to be a help are Yakult which my consultant suggested, and it does help a bit and ginger tablets, you might also want to try charcoal biscuits which you can get in Holland and Barrett ( they taste just like Rich Tea's ). Although I don't have IBS ( I have Crohn's ) I have found eating a low residue diet is essential , so you could be right with the Special K, try cutting out as much fibre as you can for a few days and see if there's an improvement.

The symptoms you've described could be IBS, but I've never come across anyone who has that much swelling of the stomach, so who knows, perhaps there's more than one thing going on unsure.gif .

Thanks for the reply Jane :flowers:

I'm glad to hear that charcoal biscuits taste like Rich Tea and not the obvious :laugh:

I will have to start looking up the fibre content of all that I eat, although I think I eat quite healthy

PS and sorry to hear that you suffer from Crohns :GroupHug:

Nicotine suppresses the appetite, and when you quit your appetite increases, and unless you do something, it stays higher. You need to do something consciously to reduce how much you eat. It takes about six weeks to reset your 'appestat'.

However, gaining weight doesn't normally cause pain, and especially such localised pain. And neither, from what I know (I was diagnosed with IBS years ago, although now they think it might be coeliac and I too am waiting on tests) does IBS. What is more IBS usually starts gradually and builds up over time.

I'd say jump up and down and get your GP to hurry up the tests.

Is the pain before or after you eat?

Could it be diverticular disease? :unsure:

When mine flares up it starts with constipation and the pain is localised to my lower left abdomen, but I also get back pain and sometimes, flu like symptoms. If a doctor puts a stethoscope to the source of the pain, they can hear bubbling in there.

Buscopan usually eases the pain, and you can try things like Fybogel for extra fibre if needed (which you take on a daily basis).

Bran flakes, etc are good as well, although if you read the message boards, what works for one person doesn't work for another, so it takes a while to find a balance which suits you.

You may or may not have it, but just wanted to give another option. I hope you get to the bottom of whatever it is very soon :flowers:

Edited by merledogs

With my IBS i get bloating and diarrohea. The pain can be horrible and severe stomach cramps as well.You can just get constipation or alternate with diarrohea! Lots of fun!!

However the pain you describe immediately reminded me of gall stones. I ended up having my gall bladder removed as the pain was so bad i'd be crying from it. Has that been checked/ruled out?

With my IBS i get bloating and diarrohea. The pain can be horrible and severe stomach cramps as well.You can just get constipation or alternate with diarrohea! Lots of fun!!

However the pain you describe immediately reminded me of gall stones. I ended up having my gall bladder removed as the pain was so bad i'd be crying from it. Has that been checked/ruled out?

My first thought was also gallbladder.

Ruthi, the pain can be anytime. For instance, it started the minute I got up this morning. It lingers around all day. I have noticed that it can sometimes, and I stress sometimes, be worse after eating dinner so I've started to eat a smaller dinner but that doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference. But eating certainly doesn't bring on the pain.

I haven't been eating any more since I stopped smoking and nearly five months later, I thought the metabolism would have stabilised by now.

Good luck with your tests :flowers:

Alex, I hadn't thought of that. I will have a read. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm finding that I'm a bit better the last couple of days by trying to keep the fibre intake low.

CRB & Blackmagic, Mam had her gall bladder removed just over a year ago. My symptoms don't seem to have rung any bells with her but I will chat to her about it.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions :flowers:

It doesn't sound like IBS to me but no 2 different people seem to have the same symptoms and triggers. It can be brought on by stress and eating things your bowel won't tolerate. Can be diarrhoea, sickness, constipation, bloating, evil pain that can move around. Makes you tired and feel debilitated. Foods that disagree are the telling point though.

It could be any number of things. It could be a hiatus hernia. Think you need to wait to see the docs sadly. Keep a diary of events until your appointment. What you eat, time of day, if you go to the loo or are constipating. Time of that. Literally write everything down as it will help them to diagnose. If there is a pattern emerging with certain foods you will also know which ones are the ones to avoid and will help you to pinpoint. It may not be the food you're thinking of that is causing the problems.

My daughter has IBS (she had a sigmoisoscopy earlier this year to rule out anything else). It doesn't sounds like the symptoms my daughter has to be honest, but I can't offer an alternative! It must be awful putting up with pain like this, so I hope you manage to get things sorted soon. :GroupHug:

Mags

This may sound completely off the wall but my sister in law had very similar symtoms, especialy the bloating and looking pregnant. After an initial diagnosis of IBS she was found to have problems with her ovaries. Just a suggestion - but it could be worth asking for them to be checked.

I hope you find out what your problem is very soon. :flowers:

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd update this.

I still haven't got my appointment for the camera work and have been told it will be after Christmas :mad:

However, I am going for a pelvic ultrasound on Friday. This is going back to when I thought I was pregnant but tests said no. I was told I would be called for this and it was taking so long, I completely forgot about it. Maybe this might show up something and I can start to get some answers.

In the meantime, I'm still in pain and now I'm getting heartburn. I spoke to Mam about the gallstones and she agreed it could be.

Last week, Andy and I had toasted cheese for lunch. I thought I was going to die later that evening. So I've cut out dairy (miss my glass of milk with dinner :mecry: ) and it seems to be helping. I'm using soya milk on porridge and no butter on bread. Any alternatives to butter please that taste nice?

I probably won't get results of ultrasound for about a week