UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Oddest Item Or Item Description On Ebay

when ever I need to reorder Dogstar supplies I always check on ebay to see if they are cheaper

I have just been checking out prices for surigical gloves ( that the vets wear when they do operations ) and was far amazed to see them described on ebay as

Powder-Free Gloves, Surgical, Sterile, Fetish 1 Pair

You are bidding on one pair of:

Bioclean 100 Sterile Gloves, Size 8

This listing is for ONE pair of gloves. At time of listing, I had one hundred & fifty pairs available.

Size 8, sterile latex hand-specific cleanroom gloves. Class 100 compatible. Cuffed, walleted and pouched. 300mm long. Textured surface for added grip. CE-marked. Expiry date 03/2002, but still seem perfect. Money back guarantee if not completely happy.

Not sure I am going to be able to look at my vets in the same way again

laugh.gif

Edited by Happylittlegreensquirrel

when ever I need to reorder Dogstar supplies I always check on ebay to see if they are cheaper

I have just been checking out prices for surigical gloves ( that the vets wear when they do operations ) and was far amazed to see them described on ebay as

Powder-Free Gloves, Surgical, Sterile, Fetish 1 Pair

[/center]

Not sure I am going to be able to look at my vets in the same way again

laugh.gif

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: OMG why have i never come across anything like that... i feel cheated.

I haven't got any recent items, but a while ago I was clothes shopping on Ebay, and it inspired me to write these guidelines for Ebay sellers:

1) Overcommunication.

You are pleased that you have lost weight. Well done you. However, an ebay listing for your old clothes is NOT the place to communicate your smug delight at your new size. You want people to buy this stuff. Writing a description that effectively says to the potential buyer 'ha ha, I am now far too thin and gorgeous for this item, which is only suitable for porkers like you' is unlikely to be an effective sales tactic.

Likewise, Death Is Not a Selling Point. I'm sure you DID love your aunty, and it's tragic that she died at only umpty-7 but I'm guessing the number of people who will find a dead aunty to be an attractive point about the jumper you are offering is greatly outnumbered by the number of people who will go 'ICK' and move swiftly on.

OK, we know logically that second hand clothes may have come from people who have died - but in general, I think we prefer to assume that our items belonged to people who are still alive. Knowing the person is dead gives rise to worrying thoughts about what they were wearing *when* they died. Nobody wants a haunted jumper.

Illness: it's not a selling point. If you have an allergy to something in the makeup of your item, that's very unfortunate. But again, call me picky, but I'd rather not know that's why you are selling it. OK, I'm sure you have washed it (you DID wash it, didn't you?) but I still just don't lke the idea of buying something that you may have oozed on.

Oh yes and 'Too good for a charity shop' ...? Seriously? You are aware that charities run shops to make money, aren't you? They aren't some sort of publicly funded recycling service for unusable unwearable tat... 

2) Undercommunication

If there is no size label, at least give dimensions. If there is a label - and we can see in the photo that there is, would it kill you to tell us what it says? You can see it, it's right there - but we can't read it (your photography isn't so hot after all. You'd best read section 3 quickly! )

It would be quite nifty if you could also tell us what material the item is made of - if you don't know, then maybe you could at least indicate what it feels like? 'Nice red top' is not a description! 

3) Photography.

OK, I appreciate that taking photos of clothes can be tricky, but at least try *unfolding* the item before you take a snap of it. Showing photos of the full item unfolded, that's good. Putting the item on a person or a dummy to give an idea of the hang, that's good too.

However, if you are on the large side then using photos that show you modelling skimpy items that really bring out your mottled skin and bulges is not the best way to convince the buyer they will look great wearing this item.

Likewise, if you are selling a large item and you are yourself a tiny thin person, then no amount of pinning and padding is going to make you look like anything other than a stick with a bag wrapped around it.

Oh yes, and see the point above about dead people? I don't want to see your dead aunty modelling her jumper, even if she was alive when you took the picture. Call me fussy if you like.

Edited by cycas

:laugh: I can identify with the photo bit of the list. I've been looking for a sofa on ebay and it's amazing how many people take a photo of a dark brown sofa in the dark. It can't do much for their chances of a decent price to apparently be selling an amorphous blob.

Perhaps we could add odd photos to the odd description list.

Just came across these gems all from the same seller none of their listings had pictures so you had to go by the description .......

"chan for woman - this chain is werth a lot but selling it for chap"

"hart pendant for sail not really hart dont speack backw - this is a home made pendont i made it out of brass and a hart shape bead the brass is bent around it to give it some cariter and a little bead in the cernter of it .it is a butlfull thing to buy so grab it "

"spiders for sail home made - hi my spider are made out of copper and beads the feet may be a little sarp"

"sliver ring with mood stoon incrusted and dofin around - this is a mood ring with a dolthin on it dont no if it works so i am selling it for half the price in the shop"

shes now added a picture to one ....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/home-made-spider-sail-/220648560379?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item335fadd6fb&afsrc=1

For many many many more including some wonderful feedback etc go here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2638153&page=3