UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

It Shouldn'T Happen At A Vets

Laura_E

I caught a clip of this the other night when I was visiting my parents, but knowing how upset I get by these things, my mum quickly turned it over. So I came home and googled it rolleyes.gif

But it looks like something people should be aware of.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00t66pb

I'm not sure what veterinary chain it is, but I have my suspicions.

I caught a clip of this the other night when I was visiting my parents, but knowing how upset I get by these things, my mum quickly turned it over. So I came home and googled it rolleyes.gif

But it looks like something people should be aware of.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00t66pb

I'm not sure what veterinary chain it is, but I have my suspicions.

Here's a statement from the group we must assume are being highlighted on the programme...

http://www.medivet.co.uk/news_view.asp?id=112

Medivet are the chain I suspected it would be about.

Quite a few of my friends have complained about the bills they have incurred from our local branch for unnecessary treatments. But I suppose it's important to try and remain objective. unsure.gif

Having never used medivets, but having had a look on their website, and having watched Panorama only a handful of time, I suspect that neither one is entirely honest and objective. But then, looking on the bright side of life isn't my strongest point :wacko:

the clip i saw looked horrendous, that poor dog and cat being manhandled :angry: i haven't used medivets either (i wouldn't use a veterinary practice that was part of a chain...except in a dire emergency)but i would hope that those involved in handling the animals in such a terrible fashion have had their marching orders! i don't know if i will be able to watch it when its on..... would it be put on I player??

:( It's not a practice I know anything of but I don't doubt that things that shouldn't do happen in many professions.

Sad & disappointing it should ever be a question of supposedly caring & professional people but therefore "must see tv" for any animal owner I would have thought. :huh:

would it be put on I player??

It should be, I'll have to watch it on-line as for some reason it's not being shown in Scotland glare.gif

From the clips I've seen it does look shocking, but I'll reserve judgement until I've seen the whole thing.

Just watched it - amazing considering my needle phobia, and general squeamishness.

What I couldn't understand was how they could say they weren't cruel. Half an hour to get a catheter into a distressed dog isn't cruel? No wonder they end up hating the vets!

I know that Tiger is a wriggler. But I would expect them to know what they were doing and get it over with quickly - preferably under sedation.

I suspect I will need lots of reassurance when I next hand my dog over to my (wonderful) vets.

I thought the staff showed a total lack of training if how to handle/restrain animals. Surely that should be the first thing they are taught.

When my vet has been treating my animals he has shown me how to hold them. It certainly didn't involve wedging the against a wall or holding them round the throat.

I am sure there are many vets as horrified as we are at what was shown.

And if Medivet were not allowed to see the footage , how come they were able to issue statements about the content.

Prehaps they didn't see the footage, if they had they wouldn't have been able to dismiss the allegations so easily. I'm shocked at the lack of authority the RVC has over vets! I was always under the impression they are the governing body for vet practices?