UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Requesting Good Thoughts For Mrs Mop'S Ellie

owl

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't heard any more from Margaret so expect everything is still OK. She said she would let me know if any change. I will give her a call tomorrow morn.

Definitely a frightening experience for all. And I bet any passer-by who witnessed the headlong dash to the vet with caravan in tow down narrow lanes had to go and have a nice cup of tea and a lie down!

Thank you all so much for your healing thoughts for Ellie, just spoken to one of the vets and she is her normal self, refusing to stay in the kennel so is with the receptionist getting lots of fuss. She is back to her normal self, when she stays in the kennels without a fuss the vet knows she is ill. :laugh:

It is difficult to give information on the phone especially when you are in the state I was in, I am still in shock with it all, at least I still have Ellie.

I never want to go through this again and hope nobody else goes through it, all I kept getting from the vets was, "How did you manage to get her here".

On Thursday I arrived back from shopping to find several stressed dogs, didn’t think too much about it, Ellie’s tracheotomy was red and swollen, I thought she had been scratching it again. Friday morning I was inspecting her to see if she had any lumps and found a sore on her back, I then noticed that Bonnie had some sores, I think they had a fight while I was out, Bonnie always goes for the throat and I think this is what started this. She will never have the chance to do this again, it was a terrifying experience I hope I never go though again. I don't know what happened when I was out but I suspect that they have been wound up by someone either deliberately or trying to put something through the letterbox and pushing it and pulling it.

We were going away for the weekend, all 4 dogs were in the car, 3 on the back seat and Ellie in the passenger seat as normal, the caravan was hitched up to the car.

As I got into the car to drive off, Ellie couldn’t breath, I tried to pull the tracheotomy open but it wouldn’t, it was blocked and swollen. All I could think of was to get it unblocked but there was nothing there to unblock it apart from my mobile phone charger, the thin end that goes into the phone was used to unblock the trach and it worked. It wasn’t completely clear but clear enough for me to keep open.

I was stuck, there was nobody around shout to and I couldn’t leave Ellie, she would have suffocated if I had. I set off to the vets, driving with one hand and trying to keep the trach open for Ellie. Every so often I had to pull over and stop to unblock it again so she could breath.

It was a nightmare journey, traffic was heaving on the main roads so I took the back roads, these were narrow and very twisty in parts, vehicles coming the other way had to pull over to let me pass, I wasn’t stopping for anything. I did have to come off these and onto the main roads for about 2 miles and as expected was stuck in traffic but did get through by taking another road that goes the back way.

As I got near to the vets there was a parking space just round the corner, I pulled over and stopped. I couldn’t take the chance of the car park being full and not being able to part. I picked Ellie up, all 15kgs of her, and tried to run. One of the receptionists was coming back from her lunch, through her bag at me, asked what was wrong, took Ellie and ran. I will always be very grateful to Linda, I wouldn’t have made it in time, she did

When I got to the vets Ellie was already being treated, she had another tube in and was breathing well, sitting up and more her normal self.

Talking to the vet later I asked if I had done the right thing by using the mobile phone charger to open up the trach, he told me that it was more important to open it up than what you use. Keeping my hand pulling the skin round the trach kept it open even if it did block from time to time so I had to stop to redo it.

This was last Friday about noon, Ellie is still in the vets, they are just watching her at the moment hoping the swelling will go down enough not to need another operation. They may have to take some of the skin round the trach, it seems that over time the hole can reduce enough to need enlarging, this isn’t a big operation, more maintenance. A lot depends on how good a healer a dog is, it seems Ellie is a good healer.

It was very scary but Ellie is still alive, fit and healthy, just the trach to sort out now and all I want to do is cry.